Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elcapbuzz

Dec 31, 2002, 6:51 AM
Post #1 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

In Memory of Joe Crowe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been in tears for over an hour.

I just found out that a good friend of mine, Joe Crowe, died in an accident on El Capitan.

Joe was one of the best people I've ever met. He was such a free spirit. He lived life to the fullest. The second year I met him, he soloed the North America Wall through a horrible storm. My brother Gabe and I were on the P.O., we ended up bailing with hypothermia (our finger tips were numb for three months). Joe endured. Climbing the route in nine days.

The next year I saw him he was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. He started in Mexico and finished in Canada, solo.

Joe disapeared the next year. He went down to South America and vanished from society for almost a year. He was fluent in spanish by the time I saw him again.

The last time I saw him.... he was trying with everything he had to walk the Indian Cave Gap, a highline in Joshua Tree. Although he didn't get across he gave the best effort I've seen ANYONE give.

He left Joshua Tree heading to New Port Beach, to learn how to sail.

I was looking forward to seeing him in Joshua Tree for New Year.

Joe died while retreating from the Zodiac, with hyporthermia. He was a VERY experienced wall climber and an all around "hard man".

We will miss you deeply Joe..... we'll be flying again.... soon my friend.

bigwalling

Dec 31, 2002, 6:58 AM
Post #2 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

In Memory of Joe Crowe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's really too bad. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. I just saw that picture when I was on your website a little while ago.

nikegirl

Dec 31, 2002, 7:04 AM
Post #3 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Goddess bless*

~T

elcapbuzz

Dec 31, 2002, 8:59 AM
Post #4 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the support.

I'm feeling a little better now. The last time I had to deal with death..... hitting so close was in 98. First it was Walt Shipley, Dan Osman and then Frank (base jumping)..... all in the same time period.

DEATH SUCKS!!!!!!!

Right after Dano's death, I noticed a raven with a broken wing. I named him Dano. I've been hangin' with him for three years now.

I know I'll see Joe......... next time I climb El Cap..... fly'n proud, as usual.

If anyone knows how to contact his family, PLEASE let me know. I have a ton, of great photos I would like to share with them.

Ammon

elcapbuzz

Dec 31, 2002, 9:05 AM
Post #5 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is what my brother wrote:

He Will Be Missed In LIfe, But Not In Our Tales. Leaving A Knot In Our Spirits; Something Physical That Is Remembered on All Levels.

He Still Lives In Me!

gunked

Dec 31, 2002, 9:51 AM
Post #6 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard about his passing today from a co-worker at Marmot Mtn Works in Santa Clara. Apparently he worked there about a year ago and has close friends there.

I'm going to try and get his family contact info for you tomorrow. I'll PM you with any info.

My deepest sympathies to all who knew him and may his memory and free spirit live on in all he touched.

-Jason

kurtneis

Dec 31, 2002, 10:57 AM
Post #7 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have lost too many people prematurely in life and so far im only 22 .. i offer my prayers to you and your friends family. i think that thier spirits do live on .

peace out

kurt

katydid

Dec 31, 2002, 11:27 AM
Post #8 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried to come up with something to say, Ammon, but words always fail me in these situations.

I'll light a candle in my window tonight for Joe.

Kate

elcapbuzz

Dec 31, 2002, 11:44 AM
Post #9 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Katydid.... I don't know you.... but our flames will flicker together.... THANK YOU!!

atg200

Dec 31, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #10 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so sorry Ammon. Few things hurt worse than losing a friend. Take care.

epic_ed

Dec 31, 2002, 4:13 PM
Post #11 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn. A whole lot of grieving going on in our rc.com community right now. Condolences to his friends and family. Joe sounds like a kick-ass dude that lived a spirited life -- wish I could have met him. It's especially hard to grieve the loss of guys of that caliber.

Ed

elcapbuzz

Dec 31, 2002, 8:33 PM
Post #12 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few words about Joe from my wife:

We can never know the full effect
that one person has had upon the world.

We only know how deeply
our own hearts have been touched....

Each memory and thought is like the light of a candle, timeless and brightly shining,
in honor of a soul lovingly remembered.

offwidth

Dec 31, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #13 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

addiroids

Jan 1, 2003, 12:20 AM
Post #14 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's hard for me to be very poetic when something like this happens, but I did have the opportunity to meet Joe Crowe last winter in Joshua Tree with Ammon. He had a site under the big boulder/cave at the fork at the HVGC. Ammon and I hung out there for a few hours and engaged in mind altering activities with him and he told me about his travels.

He seemed like he was present everywhere all at the same time. I expected to see him again in Josh, but whenever I went there and asked at that site, they didn't know him. Then in the Valley, I expected to see him, but although it seemed like I would just bump into him I never got the chance to meet him again. Joe is one of those people who although I only hung out with him for a few hours, it seemed like I knew him for quite some time longer.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing Ammon, and I hope you can get in touch with his family. However, do be glad (is that the word) that his final minutes were spent on rock, rather than in a plane crash or something non-climbing related. Sure he suffered on the way out, but it goes to show that even the hardest of all have bad days. Joe Crowe will continue to live on in our memory.

TRADitionally sorrowful,

Cali Dirtbag

milesdesbrie

Jan 1, 2003, 1:02 AM
Post #15 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Condolences to Ammon, as well as Joe's other friends and family. Joe sounds like a wonderful person, and the world is diminished by his loss.

moabbeth

Jan 2, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #16 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So sorry to hear Ammon. But you can take solace that he spent his final moments doing something he loved. Many people in this world do not get to exit our mortal coil in that way. My condolensces to you and his family and friends. He sounds like an amazing person who lived every moment to the fullest, and in his short life experienced more than most people will realize in a lifetime. My thoughts are with you.

Beth

erdeneruc

Jan 2, 2003, 8:40 AM
Post #17 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon:

You are doing the right thing. Stay here with us.

Tell us more about the accomplishments of your friend, about joyful and/or memorable moments that you had with him, more about the person that Joe was. Pass on to us what kept him so energized and focused. Teach us by drawing from Joe's life. Honor your friend by spreading his joy for life, and by etching his name in our memory.

Then, go out there to realize a project in tribute to Joe. Tell us about it after you are done.

Erden.

michaelmcguinn

Jan 2, 2003, 10:17 AM
Post #18 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am saddened and shocked to hear about Joe's accident. He had great spirit that I was only able to enjoy for a short time.

Rest well Joe and continue your adventures in the other world.

yosemitefreak

Jan 2, 2003, 5:23 PM
Post #19 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sadness abounds for Joe's friends and family. But through all this sadness there are lessons to be learned. Lessons that Joe passed to all of us. Namely, to be VERY prepared for "winter rock" because rock temps are colder than the air and rock reflects cold just as it reflects heat in the summer. Love and Peace to all....especially Joe and his two families – his climbing family and his birth family.

elcapbuzz

Jan 5, 2003, 1:06 AM
Post #20 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe was a modern medicine man. He had a cure for every ailment you could possibly have. He carried a bag of herbs (all legal) and would mix different ingredients, depending on what your symptoms were.

Joe would have given a stranger the shirt off his back, if they needed it.

He talked in parables. All most everything he said had some underlying meaning to it.

Joe was a poet.

One night as a few of us were huddled together in the Hobbit Hole (in JTree) he said he wanted to read a few things to us.

He opened a small book and started leafing through the pages. He then started reading, turning the pages every so often. This went on for at least five minutes. I remember getting goosebumps as I listend to his words.

Later, I randomly picked up the book and found....... all the pages were empty.

Joe liked to play fun little games. Once he told everyone to pick an animal.... and then pretend to be that animal for ten minutes.

He was very aware of his surroundings.

He made up a game called "Joshua Tree Yoga". He told everyone to pick a Joshua Tree and then stand still for one minute, resembling the tree.

Once he left JTree with a group to go climb at Tahquitz. When the group came back, Joe was not with them.

When I asked what happend, the reply was:

"OH, Joe wanted to walk back."

Indeed he did. He hiked to the top of Mt. San Jacinto and then through the dessert, some 80 miles away.

I saw him three days later.

"I just got to the top of the peak.... and scoped out my path, back to camp", he said.

It was "that" simple for Joe. His life "was" the adventure.

I will forever learn from Joe.... and the way he lived his life.

climbingkate

Jan 5, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #21 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon--

There is so much i would like to say to you, and reading your tribute and these postings...I am so sorry for your loss, and your hurting. My thoughts and prayers go to you, his friends, and his families.

I lost my best friend in a freak climbing accident in Los Alamos, NM, at a place called White Rock. Garth was an amazing climber, athlete, friend, and overall person. There is honestly no way to explain how he fell. He Lost his footing and fell 250 feet. Although I went to the services, been to the site after the accident, and have been dealing with this for a few months, i can't conveive that he's gone. But, I used
this emotion in a positive way---

He taught me how to rock climb. I never went climbing with anyone else when we were in college together. After moving to LA after college a year ago, i stopped climbing...because i didnt know anyone to go with. His passing inspired me to go at it again, and have been since Sept. I'm climbing so much better and more than i ever did in college with him, and i know the first lead climb i did at Williamson Rock, he watched and smiled.

Ammon, it will get better. It hurts like hell, and you feel like you may never come to terms with it. But as the days go by, you won't think about the way he died, but about the life he lived. God simply needed another angel, another free spirit to hang out with. And Joe has the greatest free spirit there is. After reading all the stories, i don't doubt for a moment that Joe is teaching Garth some great moves up there and seeing who can do the craziest $#!&. Take care
-kate

pfweirdo32

Jan 5, 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #22 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe was the kind of person who would help out anyone in need. One of the most unselfish and kindest people anywhere. One of the freest spirits out there. Had nothing (matl possessions)yet gave everything. A true friend to anyone who knew him.

Your spirit lives on.

and on....

with you,

thanks for influencing my life,

Pete

jono13

Jan 5, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #23 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im sorry to hear that. He sounded like both an amazing person, climber, and a true free spirit.

machiavellian

Jan 6, 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #24 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In his picture Joe's hand is extended. From what I have read here his hand stemmed from his heart. I wish I could have met him.

sharmagod

Jan 7, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #25 of 37 (13020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also don't know what to say. Sounds like a really great guy. Well great doesn't even seem to comprehend how he was but its about the best that I can come up with. Just reading about the memories you have with him are amazing. I wish I was more free spirited but I guess its either you are or your not. Like others have said....it really seems as if he was (free spirited)....in fact I believe he was after reading the posts.

I haven't had the opportunity to meet him but just by hearing you (Ammon) speak about him gives you a feeling that is unbelievable.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all (family,friends) who known him or met him briefly.

Jason

[ This Message was edited by: sharmagod on 2003-01-06 18:13 ]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook