RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

boadman

Apr 29, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #1 of 12 (6703 views)
Shortcut

Women's crag-bag suggestions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey - My wife is sneaky. She somehow (in the last 12 years) has never acquired a cragging pack. She has her multi-day hiking bag, which I'm pretty sure she hasn't used in 9 years, and a day pack. Strangely enough, she doesn't usually end up carrying much on climbing trips. I want to get her a pack for her birthday that will work for cragging and long alpine days, i.e. rope, harness, shoes, helmet, foot, water, small rack. It should carry comfortably, be reasonably light, but super durable. She's 5'2" with a relatively short torso.

Any suggestions?

smallclimber

Apr 29, 2011, 8:37 PM
Post #2 of 12 (6677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boadman] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From your post it sounds like you have been happily married for (at least) 12 years. Hence you should know that in husband/wife climbing teams the rules are clear. The wife only carries her personal gear (harness, shoes and helmet). The husband carries all communal climbing stuff (rope, gear, draws), his personal gear, food and water.
Are you seriously proposing not only altering this status quo, but trying to make out its a birthday present for her? Oh dear......

boadman

Apr 29, 2011, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 12 (6674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I definitely understand the rules. However, we often go on trips together where we actually go and climb at different areas and she's climbing with one of our other partners and is correctly too embarrassed to make them carry all the communal gear. Then I have to wrestle her for my bag. She's actually taken my bag on weekend trips when she knew there was a decent chance that I might also go climbing. She needs her own bag. She also keeps stealing my helmet. She's sneaky. Tongue

granite_grrl

Apr 30, 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #4 of 12 (6662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

smallclimber wrote:
From your post it sounds like you have been happily married for (at least) 12 years. Hence you should know that in husband/wife climbing teams the rules are clear. The wife only carries her personal gear (harness, shoes and helmet). The husband carries all communal climbing stuff (rope, gear, draws), his personal gear, food and water.
Are you seriously proposing not only altering this status quo, but trying to make out its a birthday present for her? Oh dear......
huh....I did not know that.

Someone should tell my husband about this rule.

smallclimber

Apr 30, 2011, 2:20 AM
Post #5 of 12 (6659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It might not be a rule in Canada. But you could suggest it anyway......

To try to give an answer to the OP. I use a 40L black diamond pack - quite old I just checked the name and its called "stone". Not a women specific pack but fits OK. I would think for most 1 day trad climbs if she splits the stuff evenly with a partner 40L should just be OK. Might need bulky stuff (helmet) on the outside. I don't have a specific recommendation, but these days there are lots of women specific packs in all sizes, as she is on the shorter side I;'d definately go for women specific (and the colours are nicer). I'd also get something with some pockets on the outside, useful for water bottle and snacks etc. My pack is really an alpine one, so very minimalistic, only really the main sack for storage, I'd prefer some pockets.

drivel

May 3, 2011, 1:39 PM
Post #6 of 12 (6613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
Hey - My wife is sneaky. She somehow (in the last 12 years) has never acquired a cragging pack. She has her multi-day hiking bag, which I'm pretty sure she hasn't used in 9 years, and a day pack. Strangely enough, she doesn't usually end up carrying much on climbing trips. I want to get her a pack for her birthday that will work for cragging and long alpine days, i.e. rope, harness, shoes, helmet, foot, water, small rack. It should carry comfortably, be reasonably light, but super durable. She's 5'2" with a relatively short torso.

Any suggestions?

don't get a "hiking" or "backpacking" pack, get a climbing pack. backpacking packs have all sorts of extraneous shit on them that you don't need in a crag pack.

depending on how much money you have to blow, the arcteryx "miura" packs are pretty sweet, as are the MHW "koa" series. both roll-top packs. (aka, no lid to haul around.) koa is lighter, the miura zips all the way down both sides and has internal gear loops.

(This post was edited by drivel on May 3, 2011, 1:40 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

May 4, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #7 of 12 (6566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gift Certificate to the local gear shop. This way she can try on the packs and choose the one which works best. Fit is everything with a good pack.

Now - How to make the gift-giving special... Depending on the sort of things she likes, place the b/pack gift cert in with that gift. Does she like pretty lingerie? Get a beautiful (satin.silk, slinky... whatever).

Does she like gear? Get several little items(a water bottle, a biner, etc. and have the first one wrapped up with a tag that gives a clue as to where the find guft # 2, and so on, until the b/pack gift cert one comes up. THEN that one has to attach to one that take her to....ummm, maybe either a note of dinner reservations at a special restaurant, or you laying nude in bed or in a bubble bath or something.

Or EKSE you could just buy your SELF a new pack and get her something else for b/day(knowing she will abscond with your new pack, and you will still have oe faithful for yourself when neede!

clee03m

May 5, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #8 of 12 (6520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awwww. I wish you could give my husband a lesson in romantic gifting. Wouldn't it be sweet if my husband got me a pack with say, bipattern 70m rope stuffed inside for say, mother's day?

Instead he told me he doesn't have to do anything for me since I am not his mother. Mad

erisspirit

May 5, 2011, 5:27 PM
Post #9 of 12 (6517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
Awwww. I wish you could give my husband a lesson in romantic gifting. Wouldn't it be sweet if my husband got me a pack with say, bipattern 70m rope stuffed inside for say, mother's day?

Instead he told me he doesn't have to do anything for me since I am not his mother. Mad

How does he like sleeping on the couch? Tongue

kiwiprincess

May 5, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #10 of 12 (6505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the Deuter guide SL.
I am 5'4 and it fits well.
Has axe loops and stuff for alpine at 35L+ it is a good size for day trips and the rope can go under the hood on over night trips, or if you take a fancy picnic.
Not really girly looking other than it came with a flower hairtie, but has a keyring hook in the hood I like to secure my ring while climbing.

aerili

May 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #11 of 12 (6416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Osprey makes great women's packs. I own two. For what you're suggesting, I have the women's 50L (can't remember model name). Not too many bells and whistles but it fits all the stuff you mention.

rockgirlCO

Jul 13, 2011, 4:57 PM
Post #12 of 12 (6120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drivel] Women's crag-bag suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
depending on how much money you have to blow, the arcteryx "miura" packs are pretty sweet, as are the MHW "koa" series. both roll-top packs. (aka, no lid to haul around.) koa is lighter, the miura zips all the way down both sides and has internal gear loops.

While I love Arcteryx packs generally and own several, I'd have to say the 50L Muira was too big and heavy for a crag pack and the internal gear loops weren't well thought out: they pool and thus tangle all your gear at the bottom of the pack. A 30L Muira might be sufficient. I've settled into a 45L MEC pack that I just love. They got everything right. I'm 5' 3", 100 lbs. and always carry the rope plus my stuff.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook