Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Danx

May 15, 2011, 9:02 AM
Post #1 of 28 (6241 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Danx
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

sbaclimber

May 15, 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #2 of 28 (6223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Danx] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Danx wrote:
Is it ok to use tape to mark slings, daisychains etc?
I sure hope so, 'cause I have had electical tape on my tricam slings ever since I got them (~6yrs ago).

c4c

May 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #3 of 28 (6195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Danx wrote:
ur g0nna di3!!!!!!1

Tjin

May 15, 2011, 1:17 PM
Post #4 of 28 (6181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c4c] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well as a serious answer, we don't really know. Tapes have different type of adhesive, depending on the brand and type. It is impossible to test the effect of all different kinds of adhesive om rope, slings, etc.

So use at your own risk or don't tape.

StuMsg

May 15, 2011, 4:52 PM
Post #5 of 28 (6106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Put the tape on the tag with the manufacture ratings/names etc. It wont effect the sling's strength and you prob dont need to have easy acess to that information.

sungam

May 15, 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #6 of 28 (6091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [StuMsg] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

StuMsg wrote:
Put the tape on the tag with the manufacture ratings/names etc. It wont effect the sling's strength and you prob dont need to have easy acess to that information.
Uh, no. Thanks, but I like to know what I am clipping when I am sharing someone else's rack. Maybe you don't climb with lots of partners, but I do.

If I see someone has taped over all of their gear tags, and I can't glance at the tags to see what company they are made by and what strength they are rated to (and if they are CE etc.) then I am NOT GOING TO CLIP THEM.

I also hate it when people tape their 'beaners at the stamp. Again, if I can't read the stamp to see who made it and what it's strength is/CE then I just won't clip it.

I've run out whole pitches just to drill it into my partners head that they shouldn't be clipping things if they don't know every detail about them.

bearbreeder

May 15, 2011, 6:55 PM
Post #7 of 28 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto ...

ive taped my tricams with climbing tape ... i doubt itll affect anything ... in fact camp RECOMMENDS taping the slings up to stiffen em if u dont like it limp

people will tell u the million ways yr gonna die on this forum ... everybody else just goes out and climb in the real world

wwalt822

May 15, 2011, 7:14 PM
Post #8 of 28 (6027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
If I see someone has taped over all of their gear tags, and I can't glance at the tags to see what company they are made by and what strength they are rated to (and if they are CE etc.) then I am NOT GOING TO CLIP THEM.

Seriously dude or are you trolling again?

(This post was edited by wwalt822 on May 15, 2011, 7:15 PM)

styndall

May 15, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #9 of 28 (6017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
StuMsg wrote:
Uh, no. Thanks, but I like to know what I am clipping when I am sharing someone else's rack. Maybe you don't climb with lots of partners, but I do.

I also hate it when people tape their 'beaners at the stamp. Again, if I can't read the stamp to see who made it and what it's strength is/CE then I just won't clip it.

I've run out whole pitches just to drill it into my partners head that they shouldn't be clipping things if they don't know every detail about them.

How do you use a bit of webbing, some anchor cord, or a bolt?

marc801

May 15, 2011, 8:08 PM
Post #10 of 28 (5995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I also hate it when people tape their 'beaners...
It's BINERS. Seriously, you know better.

Bowman_15

May 16, 2011, 5:57 AM
Post #11 of 28 (5897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
StuMsg wrote:

wouldn't it be better to actually clip the uncertain piece of hardware and realize that it might not actually hold instead of running it out an entire pitch just to prove a point? Just a thought.

(This post was edited by Bowman_15 on May 16, 2011, 3:02 PM)

blueeyedclimber

May 16, 2011, 3:43 PM
Post #12 of 28 (5823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

Seriously? You can't tell from looking at the sling that it's made for climbing? I have NEVER used someone else's rack and looked at the strength of a sling or biner before clipping it. That seems a little excessive. The strength influences what i buy, but I have used enough gear that I have a general idea of the limitations of certain designs.

But, if I was climbing with someone who only had ovals to clip into and tied webbing, I would clip them, not run out an entire pitch. That just sounds stupid. Tongue

Josh

sungam

May 17, 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #13 of 28 (5736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
sungam wrote:

Seriously? You can't tell from looking at the sling that it's made for climbing? I have NEVER used someone else's rack and looked at the strength of a sling or biner before clipping it. That seems a little excessive. The strength influences what i buy, but I have used enough gear that I have a general idea of the limitations of certain designs.

But, if I was climbing with someone who only had ovals to clip into and tied webbing, I would clip them, not run out an entire pitch. That just sounds stupid. Tongue

Josh
I didn't just run the pitch out right off the bat, I had already complained to him that I couldn't read the tags, but he refused to move them. My only option was to make my point LOUD AND CLEAR.

Needless to say, after that little adventure he moved the tape.

Just to clarify - It was a traverse. Not a huge one but halfway up there was a good 35/40' of shimmying along a deep horizontal crack.
I wanted him to see that when I am leading on gear that I can't trust it feels like I have no gear, so I had to make him feel the same way.

Only way to do that is to make him climb a pitch where it matters if he has pro or not.

Funnily enough, I got sketched about 7 feet into the traverse where it was a little mossy, so I had to place a piece which I then back-cleaned so I could still get my point across.

Rudmin

May 17, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #14 of 28 (5731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
sungam wrote:

Josh
I didn't just run the pitch out right off the bat, I had already complained to him that I couldn't read the tags, but he refused to move them. My only option was to make my point LOUD AND CLEAR.

Needless to say, after that little adventure he moved the tape.

Just to clarify - It was a traverse. Not a huge one but halfway up there was a good 35/40' of shimmying along a deep horizontal crack.
I wanted him to see that when I am leading on gear that I can't trust it feels like I have no gear, so I had to make him feel the same way.

Only way to do that is to make him climb a pitch where it matters if he has pro or not.

Funnily enough, I got sketched about 7 feet into the traverse where it was a little mossy, so I had to place a piece which I then back-cleaned so I could still get my point across.

WOW, it would suck to climb with you.

olderic

May 17, 2011, 3:28 PM
Post #15 of 28 (5726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sungum - you'd better offer that bridge up for sale while you are reeling them in. How gullible are you people?

Rudmin

May 17, 2011, 3:33 PM
Post #16 of 28 (5719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Sungum - you'd better offer that bridge up for sale while you are reeling them in. How gullible are you people?

Apparently pretty gullible.

Back to the topic, Here in Canada, 80% of climbing gear comes from MEC, so a lot of it is the same. To distinguish sewn runners, I put a bit of electrical tape around the stitching. It tends to stay put because the stitching doesn't flex as much, and considering any effect of adhesives, I figure it's the strongest part of any sling.

rhythm164

May 17, 2011, 4:13 PM
Post #17 of 28 (5692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is it ok to drink milk straight from the carton?

sungam

May 17, 2011, 4:38 PM
Post #18 of 28 (5682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rhythm164 wrote:
is it ok to drink milk straight from the carton?
Only if you can read the "best if used by" label!!!!

xbrianx1990

May 17, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #19 of 28 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
StuMsg wrote:

I've run out whole pitches just to drill it into my partners head that they shouldn't be clipping things if they don't know every detail about them.[/quote

Right! and if the ends of the rope have been trimmed we're free soloing that day too! I mean, I would never climb on a rope that I couldn't verify the strenght ratings on. Dont get me started on Cordelettes.....

sungam

May 17, 2011, 5:05 PM
Post #20 of 28 (5663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xbrianx1990] Taping Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you would climb on an unbranded rope, you deserve what you get.

blueeyedclimber

May 17, 2011, 6:44 PM
Post #21 of 28 (5629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:

I hate you all.

olderic

May 17, 2011, 6:51 PM
Post #22 of 28 (5624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
I hate you all.

A fine upstanding mature attitude for the shaper of the minds of our future leaders.

Smile

jakedatc

May 17, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #23 of 28 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:

I hate you all.

easy easy... you still have some hook in your mouth. you may want to get that looked at.

blueeyedclimber

May 17, 2011, 6:59 PM
Post #24 of 28 (5615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
I hate you all.

A fine upstanding mature attitude for the shaper of the minds of our future leaders.

Smile

I am so busy being peaceful and loving at my job, I save all my hatred, angst, and hostility for all of you. I think that is very mature. Tongue

Josh

kachoong

May 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #25 of 28 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Danx wrote:

Just remember what your gear looks like. It's not that hard.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook