First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Diphthong

May 23, 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #26 of 48 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wwalt822] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I had an electric shock collar for half the users of this website.

Diphthong

May 23, 2011, 8:38 PM
Post #27 of 48 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Dogs are unique in the animal kingdom in that they, more than any other animal, have co-evolved as partners with humans. They can read our emotions and intent a LOT better than we think they can and they have several behaviors and abilities that not even chimps can match.

That's not true, cats can read your emotions too, they just don't give a shit. You know what else doesn't give a shit? The Honey Badger.

traddad

May 23, 2011, 8:42 PM
Post #28 of 48 (1841 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
traddad wrote:
Dogs are unique in the animal kingdom in that they, more than any other animal, have co-evolved as partners with humans. They can read our emotions and intent a LOT better than we think they can and they have several behaviors and abilities that not even chimps can match.

That's not true, cats can read your emotions too, they just don't give a shit. You know what else doesn't give a shit? The Honey Badger.

A pet for Walt?

Partner macherry

May 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #29 of 48 (1828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
I wish I had an electric shock collar for half the users of this website.

ddt pm'd

enigma

May 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #30 of 48 (1824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trailmix] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a good friend of mine who lives in Fairfield Connecticut. She has acres of land. As well as boards dogs in her home. In fact she is so sweet, she lets her own dogs and boarding dogs stay in her house with extra tlc.
If you are interested please p.m me w your number. I will call you. As well as contact her w your particular situation. She has many references from Greenwich-
Easton Connecticut.

Diphthong

May 23, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #31 of 48 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I have a good friend of mine who lives in Fairfield Connecticut. She has acres of land. As well as boards dogs in her home. In fact she is so sweet, she lets her own dogs and boarding dogs stay in her house with extra tlc.
If you are interested please p.m me w your number. I will call you. As well as contact her w your particular situation. She has many references from Greenwich-
Easton Connecticut.

Enigma is legit, I would definitely PM her your number.

imnotclever

May 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #32 of 48 (1800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so what's your take on the electric fences?

traddad

May 24, 2011, 2:18 PM
Post #33 of 48 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
so what's your take on the electric fences?
Haven't thought a lot about those. I live in a part of the country where everyone has a six foot fence. A friend has a "jumper" that can clear her fence easily. She tried an e-fence and it worked not at all.
We often get "runners" and "jumpers" at our rescue, for obvious reasons. This is a hard behavior to change. If an e-fence keeps a dog from getting hit by a car... One of our adoptees slipped his collar twice and ran away from his owner. The last time he got hit by a car (minor injuries). The use of a slip lead ("choke collar") could have prevented this 100% and added some training on the side.
The best thing, once again, is (real) training, neutering or spaying early (before puberty) and more training.

imnotclever

May 24, 2011, 3:17 PM
Post #34 of 48 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of my neighbors have the e-fences. And they seem to work really well. The next door guy's is out right now. Plow got it. And the dog doesn't know, he knows his boundary and doesn't cross.

chadnsc

May 24, 2011, 3:29 PM
Post #35 of 48 (1764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have a friend who has an e-fence for their beagle and terrier. On the terrier the e-fence works great, on the beagle it doesn't work at all.

The beagle figured out that the collar will only 'shock' her for so many seconds after she's crossed the fence boundary so when she smells something she really wants she just takes the 'shock' and runs off.

traddad

May 24, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #36 of 48 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
We have a friend who has an e-fence for their beagle and terrier. On the terrier the e-fence works great, on the beagle it doesn't work at all.

The beagle figured out that the collar will only 'shock' her for so many seconds after she's crossed the fence boundary so when she smells something she really wants she just takes the 'shock' and runs off.

We figure this is what happened with my friend's bloodhound.

chadnsc

May 24, 2011, 3:39 PM
Post #37 of 48 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend thinks it's because they're using a slightly undersized shock collar. The beagle is on the small size and is just below the weight recommendation for the next larger collar size.

Toast_in_the_Machine

May 24, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #38 of 48 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

We figure this is what happened with my friend's bloodhound.

This is what happened to 1/2 the users on this site.

chadnsc

May 24, 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #39 of 48 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SQUIRREL!

boymeetsrock

May 24, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #40 of 48 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A family friend's dog was saved by an e-fence. The dog is a schnauzer. It was attacked and dragged off for dinner by a coyote (mostly just dragged off). The coyote had the dog by the neck when they got to the e-fence.

*ZAP*

The schnauzer sauntered happily back to the house. Sly

Partner macherry

May 24, 2011, 7:44 PM
Post #41 of 48 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
All of my neighbors have the e-fences. And they seem to work really well. The next door guy's is out right now. Plow got it. And the dog doesn't know, he knows his boundary and doesn't cross.

two of my neighbours have the e-fence for the dog. they worked for about a couple of months. the retriever and the border collie mix figured out that a couple of seconds of a shock was worth the freedom. needless to say, neither neighbour use the e-fence anymore.

Diphthong

May 24, 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #42 of 48 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
You need to stay home. Sorry if this cuts into your recreation but you committed to taking care of the dog. If ANYONE ever used a shock collar on my dog while they were sitting, I'd smash their knees with a baseball bat. Next time don't commit unless you can do it right.

KILL THE E-FENCE!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

chadnsc

May 24, 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #43 of 48 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
traddad wrote:
You need to stay home. Sorry if this cuts into your recreation but you committed to taking care of the dog. If ANYONE ever used a shock collar on my dog while they were sitting, I'd smash their knees with a baseball bat. Next time don't commit unless you can do it right.

KILL THE E-FENCE!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Use the e-fence on the children?

Diphthong

May 24, 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #44 of 48 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
A family friend's dog was saved by an e-fence. The dog is a schnauzer. It was attacked and dragged off for dinner by a coyote (mostly just dragged off). The coyote had the dog by the neck when they got to the e-fence.

*ZAP*

The schnauzer sauntered happily back to the house. Sly

SAVE THE E-FENCE!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Partner happiegrrrl

May 26, 2011, 8:19 PM
Post #45 of 48 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
He may be against debarking but for shock collars, Cesar says to go ahead and shock away:

No. He doesn't. He said that the specific issue the person who wrote him had "might" be a situation where the decision to e-collar would be acceptable(to the people who are thinking of electrocuting their dog....).

To the OP - I don't know Rumney but if it as said on the thread, I think the decision to kennel for the weekend is a good one. Times tight though - you may have difficulty finding a keenl for this busy weekend, and also they will likely require proof from the Vet the dog's up to date on shots. Best to get the vet to email records now.

Teddy wasn't the best crag dog when I first started bringing him along. Two things helped:
- I tether him next to my pack, in a comfortable spot. He has my pack which is familiar, and so he knew he was "supposed" to be where he was, and not accidentally forgotten, abandoned or whatever.
- At first I brought one of those big bones for him to gnaw while I was climbing. I'd give it to him when about to get on the 1st climb(not before) and that distracted him and kept him occupied.

Of course the first big dog that comes along is going to steal the bone.... But it did help break the attention to me my dog would have. He simply didn't understand why I was taking him somewhere and then leaving him. After a few times, he understood I was coming back, and his job was to hang with my pack.

But - the dog isn't yours, and in a few weeks he goes back to mom's. The issue won't be under control immediately. Sorry, but maybe you'll have to do some weekends where you are part of of a toprope troupe, or hiking instead of climbing.

wwalt822

May 26, 2011, 9:39 PM
Post #46 of 48 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:
He may be against debarking but for shock collars, Cesar says to go ahead and shock away:

No. He doesn't. He said that the specific issue the person who wrote him had "might" be a situation where the decision to e-collar would be acceptable(to the people who are thinking of electrocuting their dog....).

Shock collars don't come anywhere near electrocuting. Its a feeling similar to those gag lighters that shock you when you try to use them. So its not cruel to spark sparky. All the dog feels is a bit of discomfort that it will eventually attribute to certain actions.

erisspirit

May 26, 2011, 9:49 PM
Post #47 of 48 (1661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wwalt822 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:

Shock collars don't come anywhere near electrocuting. Its a feeling similar to those gag lighters that shock you when you try to use them. So its not cruel to spark sparky. All the dog feels is a bit of discomfort that it will eventually attribute to certain actions.

A guy I once knew bought a shock collar for his dog, but he started thinking about it and felt that he really should know what he is doing to his dog. He put the collar on his own neck and set it off...

He never put the collar on the dog Tongue

wwalt822

May 26, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #48 of 48 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Dog barking while I climb... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
wwalt822 wrote:

A guy I once knew bought a shock collar for his dog, but he started thinking about it and felt that he really should know what he is doing to his dog. He put the collar on his own neck and set it off...

He never put the collar on the dog Tongue

The shock collar that I played with had several different intensity settings. You had to turn it up to about half way before you could really even feel it. Max was only a little uncomfortable. But yeah you wouldn't want to do it to the dog before doing it to yourself.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook