Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering JT
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bethclimbs

May 25, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4570 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering JT  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading to JT this summer with my climbing partner. We're going primarily for bouldering and am looking to get some information about the problems. We're a boy-girl partnering and our strengths are completely different. Is there an area that has a good amount and variation in problems? We don't care about ratings only fun problems. I'm planning on buying a guide (...Classic Bouldering and Routes), but I'm assuming there's no description of boy or girl preferences. Any thoughts? Also, I noticed that the problems look especially high; is this true? We're indoor climbers, but more recently have been hitting up The Red- and The New River Gorge to give some background. We have about two weeks to climb.
Beth

caughtinside

May 25, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bethclimbs] Bouldering JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never heard of problems being preferred by boys or girls. Good luck finding info on that.

Bouldering in Josh is fun, but summer will be very hot. YOu'll be able to get away with morning sessions, but after that good luck.

The best bouldering guide is the Miramontes bouldering guide (his new guide has routes and problems and is pretty nice looking.) I think the bouldering guide may be out of print.

fredbob

May 26, 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should be able to still get the Miramontes Bouldering guide. http://kdanielspublishing.pinnaclecart.com/...-tree-national-park/

If not available, Classic Routes and Bouldering has more problems, more detail and far better bouldering coverage than Miramontes Selected Climbs guide.

http://kdanielspublishing.pinnaclecart.com/...e-routes-bouldering/

yazey

May 26, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have fun melting with the other tourist that didn't figure out it is a desert and unbelievably hot.
I would seriously rethink your destination and timing if you want to have fun.
my 2 cents

crackmeup

May 26, 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Gunsmoke traverse. I'd say it's the only problem I really enjoyed at JT, and it has many hours of shade. A bit reachy if you are short, still fun and safe.

Also, watch out for rattlers. I had a close encounter with one a few years back.

If you want to boulder in the summer in California, there are plenty of other places I'd rather go instead. Many spots along the coast or even Yosemite rather than JTree.

snoopy138

May 27, 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bethclimbs wrote:
I'm heading to JT this summer with my climbing partner. We're going primarily for bouldering and am looking to get some information about the problems. We're a boy-girl partnering and our strengths are completely different. Is there an area that has a good amount and variation in problems? We don't care about ratings only fun problems. I'm planning on buying a guide (...Classic Bouldering and Routes), but I'm assuming there's no description of boy or girl preferences. Any thoughts? Also, I noticed that the problems look especially high; is this true? We're indoor climbers, but more recently have been hitting up The Red- and The New River Gorge to give some background. We have about two weeks to climb.
Beth

when you discover how hot the desert is in the summer, consider checking out black mountain or the tramway.

saint_john

May 27, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the average highs in JT for June, July, and August are over 100 degrees. how hot do you tihnk that rock will be after baking in the sun all day?
if you do go you'll have to climb at dawn.
having said that, JT is an amazing place.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook