Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
first time on this climb
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

spacedtrav

Jun 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2721 views)
Shortcut

first time on this climb  (North_America: United_States: South_Carolina: North_Augusta: Savannah_River_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello I would like some help with this climb. I live in the Aiken area and all I have been able to do is gym style climbing. I have scouted this area and would like to know when someone is going to be climbing this wall. I would like to watch them because I am curious on how you are setting up. If you plan on doing this climb could you let me know so I can come watch. Thank you.

tsalizz

Jun 19, 2011, 3:56 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spacedtrav] first time on this climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend and I were actually going to climb out there tomorrow afternoon. Haven't gone through a top rope setup in the area yet but done some bouldering. Most likely doing a top rope if the rock's dry enough. Let me know if you want to come out.

tsalizz

Jun 19, 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, so my friend and I were able to set up a decent anchor on Wasp. We walked along the path at the top of the wall. There are two obvious anchor spots after the path that goes down towards the upper cave area with the graffiti. We used the second anchor spot. It's about in the middle of the big wall.

In order to set up the anchor, I tied in to the rope we'd be using with my friend belaying and scrambled down to the lower ledge. We ran the rope around a nearby tree to have a stronger belay. Make sure you're on belay when you're moving around this cliff as that mud is really slick and the lower shelf isn't the flattest thing around. And definitely don't wear climbing shoes.

Getting down on the lower ledge, there were two decent trees I used to sling some webbing around. Used a third piece to connect the two anchors and sling it over the edge. Clipped the rope into the new anchor, climbed back to the top, untied, and threw the rope down.

That being said, there are two bolts about 3 ft. under the large tree on the left of the lower ledge. The hangers were rusty but they're pretty thick and it just looked like surface rust. Don't know how the bolts are. You'd have to decide for yourself if you want to use them, but you might have to rappel to get a rope on it since it's right on the rock face. There is a small ledge slightly lower than where we set the anchors right above the bolts, so that might give a place to stand on. Didn't get too close too them.

Finally, this route has a lot of mud on it right now due to the storms that have been coming through. It's pretty caked in a huge run right down the middle/left side of the route. Not impossible to climb, just a little annoying.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you've got any questions or want to climb sometime!

spacedtrav

Jun 20, 2011, 3:26 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tsalizz] first time on this climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the great info. Unfortunately I was out of town the other day and could not get over to the park. I would still like to go next time yall are out. So please let me know when you are planning to go again. Thanks

royalflushkid

Aug 28, 2011, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I don't know if anyone is still interested in going out to the quarry to climb but we've set-up a small group to head out that way occasionally. We've been out there a couple times and plan on cleaning it up a bit more and making it more climber friendly. Sorry about the chalk. Let me know if interested.

tsalizz

Dec 8, 2011, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [royalflushkid] first time on this climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
if you guys still go out to Riverview I'm probably going to be looking for some climbing over winter break. Give me a heads up or maybe we can figure out a date

tkeefe

Dec 9, 2011, 8:08 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tsalizz] first time on this climb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
Im a native of NA/Edgefield and Ive gotten into climbing in my free time attending college in charleston SC. I usually climb gym stye but after finding there are routes in NA, i got excited! I am very familiar with the Rec area I plan on trying to scope out the routes while I am home over Christmas break.i would greatly appreciate if someone could inform me about any noticeable landmarks i need to follow to get to the routes or if they just stick out like a sore thumb.

Thank you!

bwustman

Dec 18, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I've just moved to Aiken this summer from tn. Spent most of my time climbing the red, new, and obed. Interested in climbing so local rock. I will be busy most of the holiday break, but would love to get out some. I have a couple ropes, a few placement gear, sport rack, and boulder pad. Hit me up. Not the strongest climber but would love to get more active again!

Brent.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook