Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

guernica

Jul 21, 2011, 8:13 PM
Post #1 of 33 (8636 views)
Shortcut

got my first pair of climbing kicks :)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

picked these up at my local climbing gym last night spent the night on the wall with them and WOW what a difference over the rentals i've been using
Attachments: geshido-sc_profile.png (80.6 KB)

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 21, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #2 of 33 (8609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guernica] got my first pair of climbing kicks :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Possibly the sweetest looking pair of kicks Evolv manufactures.

Hope you are able to get your moneys worth out of them and don't shred them up too soon. I don't know what your gym's quiver of shoes looks like, but that is probably several performance steps up.

guernica

Jul 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #3 of 33 (8590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Speed4TheNeed] got my first pair of climbing kicks :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speed4TheNeed wrote:

Hope you are able to get your moneys worth out of them and don't shred them up too soon. I don't know what your gym's quiver of shoes looks like, but that is probably several performance steps up.

any recommendations on up keep or cleaning to extend the life of these guys?

G

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #4 of 33 (8573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're asking the wrong guy lol.

The advice generally given to beginners is to not buy an expensive, high performance pair first mostly because:
1.) A beginner generally lacks good footwork and will therefore trash the shoe (any shoe) much faster than an experienced climber, and
2.) a beginner usually lacks technique to take advantage of any features a high performance shoe offers anyway.

This is entirely subjective on your abilities, though, much less your income level. "Expensive" is a HIGHLY relative term.

I mostly took the above advice and got an intermediate pair on sale (the newer version Evolv Evo). It's not an extremely high performance shoe, but it suits my needs (plus a little to mature into). What your needs are could be entirely different.

sungam

Jul 22, 2011, 12:05 AM
Post #5 of 33 (8566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't toe drag, place your feet carefully while looking at them.

mikebee

Jul 22, 2011, 1:15 AM
Post #6 of 33 (8540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] got my first pair of climbing kicks :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, don't store them on the inside of your pack, leave them plenty of space to air out. Evolv can get really stinky otherwise.

Learner

Jul 22, 2011, 1:53 AM
Post #7 of 33 (8534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guernica wrote:
picked these up at my local climbing gym last night spent the night on the wall with them and WOW what a difference over the rentals i've been using
Some climbers don't like to admit it, but your shoes do make a difference. Some shoes simply make it easier to stand on and 'stick to' things than others. This directly effects your climbing ability, even if you're a beginner. There are far more important things to prioritize, but there is a good reason we wear shoes that are made specifically for climbing. Personally, I'll do anything that could improve my climbing in the smallest increment. Yes, getting the best shoes for me that I possibly can qualifies.

Another aspect of the shoe that can have a dramatic effect on your climbing performance is the shape of the shoe. People's feet come in different shapes, and you should pick your shoes according to the shape of your foot. For example, a person that wants a very aggressive shoe for steep terrain and has a narrow forefoot would likely do really well with La Sportiva Solutions. However, someone else with a more box-shaped forefoot may be better off with the Evolv Shamans for the same exact applications. Be open about trying out different shoes. You may think you've found the best shoe for you, then one day discover something that works even better.

I haven't tried out the Geshido SC, but they look to be rad. I have the Evolv Shamans, which also have that middle strap, and I actually prefer this 3-strap system over laces. I feel it sucks the middle part of the shoe up into the middle part of the bottom of your foot and I'm tempted to say you have even more control over the fit of this portion of the shoe with the 3-strap system compared to laces. This is because when you use a lace-up shoe, and tighten different areas (front, middle, or back) to different degrees, the overall tightness can become more distributed as you climb, thereby undoing your efforts to custom-fit the tightness in different areas. With this 3-strap system, however, your custom tightness among the front, middle, and back of the shoe will maintain, because the tightness of those different areas in no way depend on one another. I feel that pulling that middle strap fairly tight can give me control in that area above any lace-up or velcro shoe I've ever worn.

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 22, 2011, 1:56 AM)

guernica

Jul 22, 2011, 3:50 AM
Post #8 of 33 (8510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the input advice and feedback. It wasn't my intentions to buy a super highend super technical shoe I tried every model that they had on and picked the ones that I liked the fit of and went with them

G

sungam

Jul 22, 2011, 9:58 AM
Post #9 of 33 (8478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

guernica wrote:
Thanks for all the input advice and feedback. It wasn't my intentions to buy a super highend super technical shoe I tried every model that they had on and picked the ones that I liked the fit of and went with them

G
Yes, YES! Finally someone did it right!

You, sir, restore my faith in huge-manitee.

Partner j_ung

Jul 22, 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #10 of 33 (8461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guernica wrote:
Speed4TheNeed wrote:

G

Yes! Spend time every session working on foot placement and precision. Your shoes will love you for it—and you'll be a better climber.

guernica

Jul 22, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #11 of 33 (8433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
guernica wrote:

G

haha thanks man when it comes to footwear for a specific purpose I have got to be comfortable in them. If a $20 pair of what ever feels better to me than a $200 pair then i'm going with the $20 pair and vice versa

G

carabiner96

Jul 22, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #12 of 33 (8419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guernica wrote:
sungam wrote:
guernica wrote:

G

haha thanks man when it comes to footwear for a specific purpose I have got to be comfortable in them. If a $20 pair of what ever feels better to me than a $200 pair then i'm going with the $20 pair and vice versa

G
If you pay more than $100 for climbing shoes, yore doing it rong.

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 22, 2011, 7:49 PM
Post #13 of 33 (8378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] got my first pair of climbing kicks :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that was meant solely as an analogy.

Just for the sake of argument, how many people do you know that spent $20 on a new pair of climbing shoes? ;)

carabiner96

Jul 22, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #14 of 33 (8371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speed4TheNeed wrote:

Just for the sake of argument, how many people do you know that spent $20 on a new pair of climbing shoes? ;)
$20? Just a handful. $50-$80 seems standard.

guernica

Jul 22, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #15 of 33 (8362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speed4TheNeed wrote:

100% analogy and i wasn't referring to just climbing shoes. I own a bicycle shop and run and I have this mindset for any tech shoe. If it doesn't fit my foot right it doesn't matter how much it costs or doesn't cost.

G

Also care wise what I have been doing so far is wiping the soles off with a paper towel with water on it...good bad or indifferent?

sungam

Jul 22, 2011, 8:46 PM
Post #16 of 33 (8347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Speed4TheNeed wrote:

$20? Just a handful. $50-$80 seems standard.
Woo! $20? That's me!

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 22, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #17 of 33 (8340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I WISH that were me.

Learner

Jul 22, 2011, 9:39 PM
Post #18 of 33 (8324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
guernica wrote:
sungam wrote:
guernica wrote:

G

G
With that attitude you can get very comfortable. Because you will continue to climb in the 5.6-5.8 range.

Like it or not, once you are attempting certain grades, your shoes can become a limiting factor.

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 22, 2011, 9:42 PM)

sungam

Jul 22, 2011, 9:47 PM
Post #19 of 33 (8316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] got my first pair of climbing kicks :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
guernica wrote:
sungam wrote:
guernica wrote:

G

G
With that attitude you can get very comfortable. Because just as you have been, you will continue to climb in the 5.6-5.8 range.

Like it or not, once you are attempting certain grades, your shoes can become a limiting factor.
Bwahahahahahaha!
Of course, cuz you're SO much better at climbing then 'Biner is.

Speed4TheNeed

Jul 22, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #20 of 33 (8311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would assume climbing ability has a lot to do with what you can climb with what type of shoe. A very high level climber may be able to still knock down high grade level routes with a pair of tennies, but will he climb at his limit with them? Probably not.

Case in point: I am a novice and I was fortunate to have a pair of rock climbing shoes on some of the routes I did outdoors for the first time. Without them, I may not have been able to climb the route. What did my guide use to lead climb the very same walls? A pair of what looked to be Old Navy flip flops.

carabiner96

Jul 22, 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #21 of 33 (8303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Learner] got my first pair of climbing kicks :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Learner wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
guernica wrote:
sungam wrote:
guernica wrote:

G

G
With that attitude you can get very comfortable. Because you will continue to climb in the 5.6-5.8 range.

Wow, way to totally miss the point and top it off the a smidgen of douche (you know, for extra flavor).

My go to shoes are listed at $140. I paid $85. That was my point, home fry.

guernica

Jul 22, 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #22 of 33 (8299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

biner where did you find your shoes for 85? I own a local business and like to support other local businesses as i know how hard it is to compete with the internet these days.

G

carabiner96

Jul 22, 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #23 of 33 (8290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A local brick and mortar store that's consistently been a fave of mine. They do large volumes so sale price plus a volunteer discount... Always wait for sales and coupons.

Learner

Jul 22, 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #24 of 33 (8271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Learner wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
guernica wrote:
sungam wrote:
guernica wrote:

G

G

Wow, way to totally miss the point and top it off the a smidgen of douche (you know, for extra flavor).

My go to shoes are listed at $140. I paid $85. That was my point, home fry.
Wow, my bad. Yes, I missed your point.

I agree with you, then. My current go-to shoes retail for $145, and I got a pair for $87.

(This post was edited by Learner on Jul 22, 2011, 11:52 PM)

climbingtrash

Jul 23, 2011, 2:54 AM
Post #25 of 33 (8233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guernica wrote:
Speed4TheNeed wrote:

G

Honey badger the shit outta them and then get a new pair.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook