Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
6mm Cord for top rope anchors
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

dan2see

Aug 26, 2011, 3:01 PM
Post #201 of 252 (5474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
mbrd wrote:
rescueman wrote:
Apparently you've forgotten that the subject of this thread was the use of 6 mm cord for top rope anchors. There's nothing "bomber" about that, and even the OP has come around to that conclusion.

okay, wait- is that true?

No, it's not. Beefier material was recommended long ago, and the OP went out and bought some. The debate was about whether the AMGA configuration would compromise the biners with triaxial loading.

Yikes! I missed that!
It's Post #125
on 23 Aug 2011 (3 days ago)
on page 5 of this thread.
With pictures!

This thread is a travesty of threads. I've been reading online about "argument" and "conflict" but I found nothing that specifically mentions "polite contempt".

Also, is there a word for when somebody shows how he's right, as opposed to discussing the facts?

Hooray! I did it! Sly

I bagged Post #200 !

SillyG deserves credit for this accomplishment, even though actually the whole exchange has been pretty shameful.Pirate

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 3:08 PM
Post #202 of 252 (5470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
rescueman: Since you're a fan of Harvard...

Off-topic aside for Jay:

Actually, I'm not. I took classes at Harvard, as well a Stanford, Amherst, U. Mich, and elsewhere, but the best education I received was at a community college and a trade school, where the teachers were dedicated and enthusiastic and encouraged their students to take responsibility for their learning.

My father dropped surreptitiously into Harvard for three years, back in the day when it was more of a creditable liberal arts institution than a corporate training ground, because he couldn't afford tuition and a friend (Theodore H. White) lent him his student ID. After WWII, with the GI Bill, he was able to get his doctorate at Univ. of Michigan. But he finished his career happily teaching social work graduate students at Wayne State University in Detroit - people who cared more about helping people than about career, wealth, prestige and power.

As a disciple of Kurt Lewin (founder of Social Psychology and first to study group dynamics), my father participated in the first T-group experiments (what later came to be called Encounter Groups), and he specialized in deviant behavior.

He would have been fascinated (and appalled) at the level of group dynamic dysfunction here at RC.com, where people seem more interested in thrashing and trashing than in honest and constructive discussion. But, as we all know too well, that's one of the major liabilities of the disinhibition function of the anonymous internet.

jt512

Aug 26, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #203 of 252 (5457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rescueman] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
rescueman: Since you're a fan of Harvard...

Off-topic aside for Jay:

Actually, I'm not. I took classes at Harvard, as well a Stanford, Amherst, U. Mich, and elsewhere, but the best education I received was at a community college and a trade school, where the teachers were dedicated and enthusiastic and encouraged their students to take responsibility for their learning.

On the other hand, if you'd stuck with Harvard you probably wouldn't be making mistakes in elementary statistics, such as thinking that a convenience sample of 350 climbers would be at least as accurate as a national probability sample of 1000 respondents to a Gallup poll. Enthusiasm does not make up for lack of rigor.

That said, the professors from Harvard, Stanford, U of M, and other top research universities whom I know seem pretty dedicated and enthusiastic to me.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 26, 2011, 4:28 PM)

moose_droppings

Aug 26, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #204 of 252 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
But, as we all know too well, that's one of the major liabilities of the disinhibition function of the anonymous internet.

Good point.... rescueman, if that is your real name.

You pointed it out, just saying

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #205 of 252 (5434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Good point.... rescueman, if that is your real name.

If you click on my moniker, you get my profile, which includes my real name. I see that your profile does not reveal your name.

moose_droppings

Aug 26, 2011, 5:02 PM
Post #206 of 252 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:

If you click on my moniker, you get my profile, which includes my real name.

I don't usually click on them since odds are there isn't any value to those with anonymous user names, but your right, my bad.

In reply to:
I see that your profile does not reveal your name.

I also don't point it out, really doesn't bear much weight in a debate anyway.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Aug 26, 2011, 5:03 PM)

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 5:12 PM
Post #207 of 252 (5419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
On the other hand, if you'd stuck with Harvard...

Ah...

So it's you who are the fan of the Harvard mystique.

I ended up matriculating at Amherst College, when it was the second highest rated undergraduate school in the country (by graduate school admission officers) and had a 4.0 average.

But I quit after three semesters when I realized that they were really selling tickets into grad school (and elite careers) rather than a liberal arts education, and that they allowed students to graduate without any evidence of having achieved a maturity of character.

But, then, I was 24 when I enrolled, older than all the seniors, and having had a technical career (as one of the first and youngest Master Mechanics in the nation).

(This post was edited by rescueman on Aug 26, 2011, 5:15 PM)

hugepedro

Aug 26, 2011, 5:16 PM
Post #208 of 252 (5413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
rescueman wrote:

I don't usually click on them since odds are there isn't any value to those with anonymous user names, but your right, my bad.

Yeah, Mr. Droppings, if that's even your real name.

I get googled constantly by prospective clients and speaking engagement audiences all the time, so I reveal first name only, otherwise I can't exercise free speech on these interwebs.

jt512

Aug 26, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #209 of 252 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
On the other hand, if you'd stuck with Harvard...

Ah...

So it's you who are the fan of the Harvard mystique.

No, but I'm a fan of their biostatistics and epidemiology departments.

In reply to:
But I quit after three semesters when I realized that they were really selling tickets into grad school (and elite careers) rather than a liberal arts education, and that they allowed students to graduate without any evidence of having achieved a maturity of character.

Damn it. I waded right into that paragraph without my boots on.

Jay

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 5:21 PM
Post #210 of 252 (5403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
I get googled constantly by prospective clients and speaking engagement audiences all the time, so I reveal first name only, otherwise I can't exercise free speech on these interwebs.

You mean you can't exercise free speech unless you're willing to be held accountable for what you say.

Or you mean you can't be an asshole here and maintain your professional credibility elsewhere. And you talk to me about integrity?

Integrity is living by your values and standing by your word.

moose_droppings

Aug 26, 2011, 5:25 PM
Post #211 of 252 (5395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
rescueman wrote:

Yeah, Mr. Droppings, if that's even your real name.

I've got my reasons too as do many others and I don't use that as a point in a debate.

TarHeelEMT

Aug 26, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #212 of 252 (5393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

You mean you can't exercise free speech unless you're willing to be held accountable for what you say.

Or you mean you can't be an asshole here and maintain your professional credibility elsewhere. And you talk to me about integrity?

It's a pretty valid point that he has. For instance, you'll never get hired by my rescue organization.

dan2see

Aug 26, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #213 of 252 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Polite contempt. Bullshit

(Edit for accuracy)

(This post was edited by dan2see on Aug 26, 2011, 5:35 PM)

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 5:35 PM
Post #214 of 252 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
It's a pretty valid point that he has. For instance, you'll never get hired by my rescue organization.

Since you're either unwilling or unable to "to rise above the rank of lieutenant", I doubt that you'd be doing the hiring or determining the qualifications.

But, if you mean that I would not be hired because I don't simply bow down to the industry gospel, but actually question assumptions and conventional practices in order to determine best practice in each situation - then I wouldn't want to be a part of your team.

TarHeelEMT

Aug 26, 2011, 5:36 PM
Post #215 of 252 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aww... he hurt my feelings. It's time to put on the sad face.

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #216 of 252 (5368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Polite contempt. Bullshit

(Edit for accuracy)

If your sense of "accuracy" is using non-specific language, which is more emotional outburst than rational communication, then it's accurate to say that you have nothing constructive to add to this discussion.

But, perhaps, you just don't understand the concept of integrity. I've found that the two qualities most lacking in people today (at least in the "developed" world) are common sense and integrity.

(This post was edited by rescueman on Aug 26, 2011, 5:51 PM)

hugepedro

Aug 26, 2011, 6:40 PM
Post #217 of 252 (5336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

No, it’s about appropriateness of setting for the discussion.

Do you lack integrity because you don’t talk about the same things with your customers as you do with your wife?

Rc.com is not a professional setting; it’s more like BSing with buddies at a bar. I’ll call you a dumbass if you say something stupid just like I’ll call my buddies a dumbass when we’re having beers sometimes. I’ll say things in the hockey locker room that I wouldn’t even dream of saying in front of my girlfriend, much less a professional setting. Integrity has nothing to do with that.

I also participate in political discussions here and elsewhere. Many of my clients are government agencies, even foreign governments. I wouldn’t stand up in front of an audience at the Pentagon and say I think their budget should be cut in half. I have, however, had that conversation over beers with people there. I wouldn't mention anything about the effects of institutional racism in front of a South African government audience, even though I am vehemently opposed to any form of bigotry, but I have had such conversations in private with some of them. Appropriateness of setting.

I stand by everything I say, but I don’t say everything in every setting, and neither do you.

I called you out on not admitting your mistakes, which is also an indicator of integrity. You tried to weasel your way around your errors instead of admit them, and you sprayed about your qualifications, and experience, and how you’ve written this, and you’re considered world-renowned, and blah blah blah, as though that would somehow cover your errors. Nobody cares about anyone’s resume here. And no matter who any of us are there is probably someone here with a more impressive resume, so what?

I’ll be an asshole to plenty of people here, and I’ll take the same shit back from them, but I’d still have a beer and climb with them, as long as they display integrity in our discussions as they are calling me an asshole, or dick, or whatever.

marc801

Aug 26, 2011, 6:56 PM
Post #218 of 252 (5328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
He would have been fascinated (and appalled) at the level of group dynamic dysfunction here at RC.com, where people seem more interested in thrashing and trashing than in honest and constructive discussion.
Apparently rescuechestthumper has reread all his posts in this thread.

hugepedro

Aug 26, 2011, 6:58 PM
Post #219 of 252 (5323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
rescueman wrote:
He would have been fascinated (and appalled) at the level of group dynamic dysfunction here at RC.com, where people seem more interested in thrashing and trashing than in honest and constructive discussion.

Maybe, but his reading comprehension is so poor he wouldn't recognize it. (I keed, rescuedude, I keeeed).

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #220 of 252 (5310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's that you say? I can't quite make it out.

Something about the length of your scrotum?

dan2see

Aug 26, 2011, 7:11 PM
Post #221 of 252 (5309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
marc801 wrote:
rescueman wrote:

Maybe, but his reading comprehension is so poor he wouldn't recognize it. (I keed, rescuedude, I keeeed).

I think both of you are too polite.

hugepedro

Aug 26, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #222 of 252 (5292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
marc801 wrote:
rescueman wrote:

I think both of you are too polite.

Fuck you.

hugepedro

Aug 26, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #223 of 252 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rescueman wrote:
What's that you say? I can't quite make it out.

Something about the length of your scrotum?

Not length, volume, my man, volume! And don't forget tensile strength! My scrotum is rated at 24kN, Bomber!

rescueman

Aug 26, 2011, 8:08 PM
Post #224 of 252 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
No, it’s about appropriateness of setting for the discussion.
It's one thing to tailor a comment to a particular audience, or to not post in public one's love chatter in bed, but it's another entirely to say things anonymously that you wouldn't say with your name attached.

To my perspective, that's not only lack of integrity, but it's cowardice.

In reply to:
Many of my clients are government agencies, even foreign governments. I wouldn’t stand up in front of an audience at the Pentagon and say I think their budget should be cut in half.

And it's a still further breach of integrity to refuse to address strongly-held beliefs simply because it might compromise your business opportunities.

If I felt that the Pentagon was the greatest purveyor of violence in the world (as MLK did, and I do), then I would say that to their faces and would refuse to do any business with them for personal gain.

For that precise reason, I have refused to pay federal income taxes for 32 years (after having been arrested protesting the launching of the first Trident nuclear submarine in 1979), and I will state that publicly to the IRS, the FBI and the Pentagon.

My moral stance has meant that my work possibilities and earning potential have been severely limited and I have had to get by on a subsistence income at constant risk of prosecution by the powers that be. But that's the price one pays for integrity. And it's worth every penny of it.

TarHeelEMT

Aug 26, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #225 of 252 (5255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SillyG] 6mm Cord for top rope anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SillyG, welcome to RC.com

We're always this crazy.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook