RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

murphy89

Sep 5, 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,

I am planning on traveling around South East Asia and Australia from next September (as long as the saving goes to plan) and have been told that rock climbing is a really good way of experiencing this part of the world. I have always been interested in rock climbing, but never really got around to taking it up and seeing if the interest grows into a passion. However, following the advice of my friend I'm looking at finally getting into it.

I have found a place in my native home of Liverpool which offers a number of courses and will also act as a place to hone my skills before leaving on my travels.

However, do you guys think a year is long enough to gain the knowledge and skills for the routes in South East Asia and is there any particular areas I should concentrate on for climbing in these areas?

Cheers

sungam

Sep 5, 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [murphy89] Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know a lot of the great climbing in SE Asia is sport climbing. A year is plenty of time to become a competent sport climber.

murphy89

Sep 5, 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the reply.

The climbing centre offer a 4 week training course for £90, which consists of 4 1 and half hour lessons and cover the basics. Does this seem like a good price?

Here is a link to the course http://www.awesomewalls.co.uk/4Week.html

sungam

Sep 5, 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's 90 quid for 6 hours then it is a good price.

ablanchard17

Sep 5, 2011, 7:16 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup. A year is definitely enough to become a competent sport climber, Actually learning how to lead safely wont take the longest, What will take longer is developing your skills and getting used to being on lead.

JAB

Sep 6, 2011, 8:26 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

murphy89 wrote:
Hey,

I am planning on traveling around South East Asia and Australia from next September (as long as the saving goes to plan) and have been told that rock climbing is a really good way of experiencing this part of the world. I have always been interested in rock climbing, but never really got around to taking it up and seeing if the interest grows into a passion. However, following the advice of my friend I'm looking at finally getting into it.

I have found a place in my native home of Liverpool which offers a number of courses and will also act as a place to hone my skills before leaving on my travels.

However, do you guys think a year is long enough to gain the knowledge and skills for the routes in South East Asia and is there any particular areas I should concentrate on for climbing in these areas?

Cheers

Like others already said, one year is enough to learn the basics. Be aware that especially in South-east Asia (Thailand etc) that most climbing is on high limestone formations, where the only way to reach the anchors is by leading. So make sure you have experience lead climbing, and know what to do at the anchors.

I would only do sport climbing, as there is little trad climbing in Asia, and you probably wouldn't want to carry all trad gear with you anyway.

murphy89

Sep 6, 2011, 9:10 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers for all your advice. One more question though, sorry, since doing more research into climbing in Thailand I have came across a number of deep water soloing videos. Is that for more experienced climbers and something I should maybe avoid after only one years experience?

sungam

Sep 6, 2011, 9:30 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Low DWS is fine as long as you are with people who know the landings and as long as you are a good swimmer. Getting into the higher stuff requires a little bit of skill at landing correctly.

blueeyedclimber

Sep 6, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
As far as I know a lot of the great climbing in SE Asia is sport climbing. A year is plenty of time to become a competent sport climber.

Fixed. Cool

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook