RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

unsunken

Sep 22, 2011, 6:56 AM
Post #1 of 10 (4299 views)
Shortcut

everyday clothing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is not strictly related to climbing, but some of you must have faced similar issues.

I've barely been climbing for a year and I'm already having trouble fitting into clothes as my delts get bigger and stomach gets smaller. I'm only at about 19" wide now, but I'm already running into problems. I typically fit into a women's small or medium sleeveless. If it has sleeves, I usually need a large, which looks oddly loose if it does manage to fit.

Wish I could wear tank tops all the time, but alas I need some more clothes for work. Any recommendations? Surely someone must have stumbled across this problem before and found an awesome brand or other solution to get normal fitting clothes!

lena_chita

Sep 22, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unsunken] everyday clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Answer is yes to problem, and no to solution. Frown

Stretchy knit fabrics are more forgiving, and I am lucky enough to be able to wear casual clothing for work. I pretty much live in jeans + cashmere sweaters and long-sleeved T-shirts for 8 months of the year (yes, the weather here is suitable). Cardigans/jackets over sleeveless tops are also accomodating because you can have them unbuttoned.

For dressier work stuff... UGH!!! Just keep trying different clothes, occasionally you get lucky. When you find something that fits, buy it in couple different colors.

erisspirit

Sep 22, 2011, 3:42 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually go with knits or stretchy material so it's not a huge issue. Sometimes I will buy from athletic companies that make everyday clothes as well because they sometimes account for the different body type. If I find a company that makes clothes that fit, I will stick with them. Finally If i REALLY need something to fit, I get the larger size and either tailor it myself or have it taken in by a seamstress.

gblauer

Sep 22, 2011, 3:44 PM
Post #4 of 10 (4268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] everyday clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on the cashmere. I really like Land's End cashmere. Super high quality, low(er) price.

I will often wear short sleeved tshirts under business suits, add some pearls and it works.

Also, a tailor is a great friend. If you buy suiting and the jacket is too big...take it to the tailor. For a few bucks you can have a very nice, custom fitted jacket.

unsunken

Sep 24, 2011, 3:38 AM
Post #6 of 10 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] everyday clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, will keep that in mind! Was hoping there'd be a better solution, but I guess I can deal. I'd much rather be athletic and have clothing fitting issues than being scrawny anyway. Tongue

granite_grrl

Oct 4, 2011, 1:01 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually have a hard time with pants more than anything else. I'm not a small girl, but even going for the mid range sizes in pants (size 8 or 10) I often find the thighs on them too tight! I feel my legs are very proportional to my body, but apparently your "average" girl has never spent a day hiking on the trail or riding a bike. Crazy

But as I get older I have found I've spent more time shopping at "grown up" stores, where the sizes seem a little more realistic. I usually take a medium at these places, but you look at climbing clothes brands and sometimes even a large can seem pretty tight!

wonderwoman

Oct 4, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] everyday clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain. All of my jeans are flared due to calf size. No skinny jeans for me, although I always thought they looked kind of dumb, anyhoo. I also wear a lot of dresses.

jezzzica

Oct 7, 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] everyday clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found many dresses that fit in the body but they need to have the sleeves removed because I cannot pull them over my forearms.

Button-down shirts are loose everywhere, except again, they are busting open at the forearms!

Anyone else?

Partner macherry

Oct 7, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] everyday clothing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I feel your pain. All of my jeans are flared due to calf size. No skinny jeans for me, although I always thought they looked kind of dumb, anyhoo. I also wear a lot of dresses.

most of the time i buy guy jeans, levis 501

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook