Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

theguy

Sep 20, 2011, 3:11 AM
Post #26 of 46 (5450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
The only way to survive soloing at that level is to eventually quit doing it. Look at Derek Hersey, John Bachar and Michael What's-his-name.

The odds don't seem great, but Peter Croft seems to have beaten them so far. Of course, he is Canadian ;)

potreroed

Sep 20, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #27 of 46 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
potreroed wrote:
The only way to survive soloing at that level is to eventually quit doing it. Look at Derek Hersey, John Bachar and Michael What's-his-name.

The odds don't seem great, but Peter Croft seems to have beaten them so far. Of course, he is Canadian ;)

Is he still doing any serious soloing?

theguy

Sep 20, 2011, 3:21 AM
Post #28 of 46 (5446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crashkickave] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crashkickave wrote:
sounds like a soloing accident

Ah, the slippery slope (in Michael Reardon's case, literally).

Though Reardon wasn't climbing at the time, would a trad climber have been roped at the point when Reardon was swept away?
If a roped climber would also have taken his rope off when he topped out as Bachar did, would that be a soloing accident?
If a fee-soloer is in a car-crash on the way to/from the cliff, is that a soloing accident? Or does it only count as a soloing accident on the way back, since he hadn't actually free-soloed until then?

Anyone want to conclusively address at what point a zygote becomes a person while we're busy with certitudes? And just to keep it on topic, this zygote would free-solo later in life.

moose_droppings

Sep 20, 2011, 3:59 AM
Post #29 of 46 (5434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:

If a fee-soloer is in a car-crash on the way to/from the cliff, is that a soloing accident?

That would be, killed in a car crash while free soloing.
LaughLaughLaugh

Partner camhead

Sep 20, 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #30 of 46 (5396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
potreroed wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
crashkickave wrote:
Dumbest and coolest thing I've seen in a while.

Dumber and cooler than that time we had unprotected butt sex?

And PotreroEd, Michael Reardon drowned.

He drowned while soloing around on some sea cliffs.

No, he drowned after being washed off of where he was standing on flat ground near the bottom of some cliffs by a freak wave.

Did somebody actually witness what happened? He was alone on the ledge and prolly had to do some kind of climbing, either up, down or traversing to get there.

His photographer was there, but he wasn't very good at taking money shots. He couldn't get shots of Reardon on the crux of Romantic Warrior, the crux of Equinox, or the crux of The Pirate, so it's not surprising that he missed the Big Wave, too.

crashkickave

Sep 20, 2011, 1:10 PM
Post #31 of 46 (5379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
theguy wrote:

If a fee-soloer is in a car-crash on the way to/from the cliff, is that a soloing accident?

That would be, killed in a car crash while free soloing.
LaughLaughLaugh

potreroed

Sep 20, 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #32 of 46 (5343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
So......

If your on top of a route, anchor cleaned, roped coiled and your getting ready to do the walk off when a rock clips you and knocks you off the cliff, we should say that you got killed soloing? You weren't using a rope at that point in time and you were near a cliff.

Sounds like something some reporter would say, not a climber.

If I was all alone, yes, I would consider it a soloing accident.

Partner camhead

Sep 20, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #33 of 46 (5338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
From what I've read they figured that he was hit in the head by rockfall after topping out, knocking him down the route. That's what was deduced from evidence found.

citation?

moose_droppings

Sep 20, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #34 of 46 (5326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
From what I've read they figured that he was hit in the head by rockfall after topping out, knocking him down the route. That's what was deduced from evidence found.

citation?

Quote from Jeff Lowe;
"Well, Paola, you were obviously a great match for John's mental strength and honesty. How anyone could read the facts of the accident as you've presented them and not conclude that to a high degree of certainty that John was first hit in the head by a falling stone, and only after that fell to the ground, is beyond me. The rope - or no rope in this case - would have had no bearing on the outcome. John's death should probably be attributed to stonefall rather than a free-soloing fall.

Thank you again for your grace and strength."

Or you can read the whole thread here.

moose_droppings

Sep 20, 2011, 6:15 PM
Post #35 of 46 (5321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
So......

If your on top of a route, anchor cleaned, roped coiled and your getting ready to do the walk off when a rock clips you and knocks you off the cliff, we should say that you got killed soloing? You weren't using a rope at that point in time and you were near a cliff.

Sounds like something some reporter would say, not a climber.

If I was all alone, yes, I would consider it a soloing accident.

In your 1st post in this thread when you spoke of Bachar and Reardon you were putting it in the context of dying while free soloing, as is this is what the whole thread is about. There is no way, if what they're saying is true, that he died while free soloing. Same goes for Reardon.

Partner camhead

Sep 20, 2011, 6:20 PM
Post #36 of 46 (5315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
camhead wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:

citation?

Quote from Jeff Lowe;
"Well, Paola, you were obviously a great match for John's mental strength and honesty. How anyone could read the facts of the accident as you've presented them and not conclude that to a high degree of certainty that John was first hit in the head by a falling stone, and only after that fell to the ground, is beyond me. The rope - or no rope in this case - would have had no bearing on the outcome. John's death should probably be attributed to stonefall rather than a free-soloing fall.

That's not a citation. that's someone on the internet (albeit Jeff fricking Lowe) speculating. What WERE the "facts of the accident" that Lowe is talking about?

moose_droppings

Sep 20, 2011, 6:29 PM
Post #37 of 46 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
camhead wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:

citation?

Quote from Jeff Lowe;

That's not a citation. that's someone on the internet (albeit Jeff fricking Lowe) speculating. What WERE the "facts of the accident" that Lowe is talking about?

There in the thread.

I have in no way said with certainty that his is what happened. I have only said that I've read what others believe and asserted that if it is the way others say, then one cannot attribute his death by free soloing.

moose_droppings

Sep 20, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #38 of 46 (5303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey crashkickave, what did you delete your post for.

Anyone else catch it?

Rudmin

Sep 20, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #39 of 46 (5271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

The only way to survive doing anything at any level is to eventually quit doing it. Last time I checked, the lifetime mortality for all activities was still 100%

damienclimber

Sep 21, 2011, 5:54 AM
Post #40 of 46 (5220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:

citation?

wow, you sound like jt512

crashkickave

Sep 21, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #41 of 46 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i meant to hit quote but i hit reply instead

Partner j_ung

Sep 21, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #42 of 46 (5173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

Be careful, please. Michael had—and still has—friends who frequent this board. I'm one of them.

potreroed

Sep 21, 2011, 8:15 PM
Post #43 of 46 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No disrespect intended, I just couldn't remember his last name at the moment. I apologize if anyone was offended.

In spite of the arguments and hair-splitting I stand by my comment: if you keep soloing at a high level, sooner or later something is bound to go wrong. I know a number of climbers who used to solo up and down 5.11's but gave it up and are glad they did. I myself used to solo up to 5.10 but gave it up after a couple of close calls.

notapplicable

Sep 22, 2011, 3:53 AM
Post #44 of 46 (5100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
In spite of the arguments and hair-splitting I stand by my comment: if you keep soloing at a high level, sooner or later something is bound to go wrong. I know a number of climbers who used to solo up and down 5.11's but gave it up and are glad they did. I myself used to solo up to 5.10 but gave it up after a couple of close calls.

No one can climb at a “high level” indefinitely, no matter the discipline. If people are honest with themselves and moderate the level at which they solo as their overall abilities change, I doubt their death rates will be significantly higher than any other climbers. Somewhat higher sure, but not significantly.

Partner camhead

Sep 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #45 of 46 (5073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Free soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
potreroed wrote:

No one can climb at a “high level” indefinitely, no matter the discipline. If people are honest with themselves and moderate the level at which they solo as their overall abilities change, I doubt their death rates will be significantly higher than any other climbers. Somewhat higher sure, but not significantly.

I agree, but what does "high level" mean? Honnold is a 5.14+ sport climber, a vee-double-digit boulderer. So, when he solos even at his highest levels (I think that Phoenix is his hardest? 13a?), it is roughly the equivalent of 5.11+ climber soloing 5.10a. Not easy, but not what we would call reckless, either.

For the most part, soloists are not soloing at their physical limits. Dereck Hersey was one of the few who did, as I recall reading in his profile in the book "The High Lonesome."

notapplicable

Sep 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #46 of 46 (5063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
potreroed wrote:

I agree, but what does "high level" mean? Honnold is a 5.14+ sport climber, a vee-double-digit boulderer. So, when he solos even at his highest levels (I think that Phoenix is his hardest? 13a?), it is roughly the equivalent of 5.11+ climber soloing 5.10a. Not easy, but not what we would call reckless, either.

For the most part, soloists are not soloing at their physical limits. Dereck Hersey was one of the few who did, as I recall reading in his profile in the book "The High Lonesome."

I think the only reasonable way to define it would be in relation the individuals onsight limit. Beyond that, it's all very subjective.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Sep 22, 2011, 12:45 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook