RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Dwhitt1981

Oct 11, 2011, 4:35 PM
Post #1 of 20 (8265 views)
Shortcut

Climbing shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing in vibram five fingers. This weekend I tried me buddys evolve (I think) climbing shoes. I really can tell that they helped any.

Has or does anyone climb in five fingers?

Are there any better climbing shoes that will help more than his?

sungam

Oct 11, 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #2 of 20 (8256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dwhitt1981] Climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
I have been climbing in vibram five fingers. This weekend I tried me buddys evolve (I think) climbing shoes. I really can tell that they helped any.

Has or does anyone climb in five fingers?

Are there any better climbing shoes that will help more than his?
5 fingers are not climbing shoes. They suck for climbing. If you want to climb and need some footwear, get some actual climbing shoes.

I am going to give you a tentitive T3, for all the butthurtz in your other thread.

Dwhitt1981

Oct 11, 2011, 5:03 PM
Post #3 of 20 (8229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
tentitive T3
?

The evolve are the only ones I've tried and at $80 a pop they didn't help any more than the 5 fingers.

lena_chita

Oct 11, 2011, 5:13 PM
Post #4 of 20 (8190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
sungam wrote:
tentitive T3
?

The evolve are the only ones I've tried and at $80 a pop they didn't help any more than the 5 fingers.

Read FAQ and do a search, please.
Every question you posted has been covered many times, and there is no new information on the subject.

As far as shoes, if you can't tell the difference between climbing shoes and five fingers, you are obviously climbing the kind of stuff where it does not make any difference whether you are wearing sneakers, flip-flops, or dress shoes. Or maybe the climbing shoes that you had borrowed were even worse-fitting than the five fingers on you.

But whatever, by all means, continue doing what you are doing. Obviously all those people who are climbing in special climbing shoes are just show-offs who like to waste money on unnecessary equipment.

shockabuku

Oct 11, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #5 of 20 (8189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
sungam wrote:
tentitive T3
?

There are at least three reasons for this:

1. You were climbing something so easy it didn't matter. Does the route you climbed have a numerical difficulty grade? If so I would estimate it's probably about 5.5 or easier. When you start doing more difficult climbs you'll note that a properly fitted pair of climbing shoes is a tremendous advantage.

2. The shoes didn't fit you properly.

3. Something else that I keep forgetting. Note that this is much less likely than 1., and still pretty less likely than 2.

But on the other hand, if you don't need climbing shoes for what you're doing, don't get them. They're not much use for anything else except hurting your feet.

Dwhitt1981

Oct 11, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #6 of 20 (8171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Alabama/Northern/Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_/ here is where we climb

I have no idea the grade of the climbs we are doing but I would think its at a beginnier level. The SHOW OFF shoes fit as tight as my five fingers if not tighter. I didn't even try them til we done something harder. It started a overhang and thought I needed something with better grip which his climbing shoes didn't. That is the reason I was looking for better options. Thanks

shockabuku

Oct 11, 2011, 5:57 PM
Post #7 of 20 (8159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

When the footholds are more like this:

and less like this:

you'll start to understand why climbing shoes are preferable.

kachoong

Oct 11, 2011, 6:01 PM
Post #8 of 20 (8155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Alabama/Northern/Sandrock__Cherokee_Rock_Village_/ here is where we climb

I have no idea the grade of the climbs we are doing but I would think its at a beginnier level. The SHOW OFF shoes fit as tight as my five fingers if not tighter. I didn't even try them til we done something harder. It started a overhang and thought I needed something with better grip which his climbing shoes didn't. That is the reason I was looking for better options. Thanks

Show off shoes eh?

Hah!

Dwhitt1981

Oct 11, 2011, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 20 (8144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
Dwhitt1981 wrote:

Show off shoes eh?

Hah!

That was in response of a few posts before. I understand that climbing shoes help. But the ones I tried didn't so I was looking for some info on which did.

lena_chita

Oct 11, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #10 of 20 (8135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Dwhitt1981 wrote:

Show off shoes eh?

Hah!

That was in response of a few posts before. I understand that climbing shoes help. But the ones I tried didn't so I was looking for some info on which did.

The shoes didn't help you deal with the overhang, because shoes are not a substitute for technique.

Dwhitt1981

Oct 11, 2011, 6:27 PM
Post #11 of 20 (8123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Dwhitt1981 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Dwhitt1981 wrote:

Show off shoes eh?

Hah!

The shoes didn't help you deal with the overhang, because shoes are not a substitute for technique.

Thats all good I'm sure my technique sucks just as everyone that is starting out. But I thought I'd see a diff but didn't. I didn't know if those are trash shoes or what. I'm like anyone, just looking for what works without getting every shoe out there.

lena_chita

Oct 11, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #12 of 20 (8108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
Dwhitt1981 wrote:
kachoong wrote:
Dwhitt1981 wrote:

Show off shoes eh?

Hah!

Thats all good I'm sure my technique sucks just as everyone that is starting out. But I thought I'd see a diff but didn't. I didn't know if those are trash shoes or what. I'm like anyone, just looking for what works without getting every shoe out there.

Picture this: a guy comes to you and says, "I was throwing a bowling ball at the alley the other day, and I thought I should try bowling shoes, but I still sucked, even when I switched to bowling shoes instead of my sneakers, I couldn't see any difference. So I guess I should stick to the regular sneakers when I go bowling, right?"

What would be your response?

If you are serious about climbing, get climbing shoes. AND learn climbing technique. You need both.

But just like you need bowling shoes for bowling, you need climbing shoes for climbing, and neither is good for anything other than the intended application, while the general-use shoes like sneakers are not particularly good for either climbing or bowling.

You don't need to try every shoe on the planet. You just need a pair of inexpensive climbing shoes that fits you snugly. Those Evolvs will be probably just fine.

Dwhitt1981

Oct 11, 2011, 7:37 PM
Post #13 of 20 (8075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would depend on what they are looking to acheive. But I would tell them to use rental shoes, sneakers, or socks. Because in the end they are just trying to have fun. Bowling will not get them killed. I wouldn't tell them that they shouldn't be in a bowling alley unless they carry a 290 avg. and using the best ball, shoe, bag, and league shirt. Like they would know what is the best in the first place.

bearbreeder

Oct 11, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #14 of 20 (8066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a lot of newbs come here and think they know best ...

stuff like climbing in sneakers (not to say it cant be done, but as anyone whos climbed for any real length of time will tell you, climbing shoes make a HUGE difference if you know how to use em)

or climbing in gloves

or some fancy new anchor setup ..

theres a reason why things are done the way they are ... not to say that there arent different ways of doing things ... of that better ways come up ...

but its not a newb that comes up with them ... rather a highly experienced climber ...
Wink

jae8908

Oct 11, 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #15 of 20 (8028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoes matter. end of story.
if you ever try to edge, smear, crack climb, anything except climb jugs in five fingers versus real climbing shoes you will see this. I own a pair of five fingers and I own three pairs of climbing shoes. The five fingers are for walking/jogging in grass and the climbing shoes are for climbing. I don't try to climb in my five fingers because it just sucks and I don't try to walk around/jog in my climbing shoes because that would suck as well.

unsunken

Oct 11, 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #16 of 20 (8013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've tried climbing in my five fingers once and it was terrible. Flip flops, sneakers, and I'm even willing to bet that my heels would be better for climbing in. Like everyone else has already said, if you aren't noticing a difference it's probably because you are climbing very easy things or your technique is bad so all your weight is on your arms. I'm relatively new to the sport and have figured that much out already. If you want to get better, you should probably pick up a pair of climbing shoes. Learning to edge in vibrams is nearly impossible amongst other things.

tH1e-swiN1e

Oct 12, 2011, 2:34 AM
Post #17 of 20 (7987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
sungam wrote:
tentitive T3
?

You werent using them correctly and Im sure it was easy climb. Vibrams wont get you up the hard stuff.

Player

Oct 12, 2011, 3:04 AM
Post #18 of 20 (7978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
It would depend on what they are looking to acheive. But I would tell them to use rental shoes, sneakers, or socks. Because in the end they are just trying to have fun. Bowling will not get them killed. I wouldn't tell them that they shouldn't be in a bowling alley unless they carry a 290 avg. and using the best ball, shoe, bag, and league shirt. Like they would know what is the best in the first place.

It depends on what people are looking to achieve, but you didn't include what you wanted in your question? There's a lot of people here trying to help you. Quit fighting against them and take their advice. We are all different. The "best" shoe is different for everyone. Try as many as you can until you find one you like. And despite what vibram says about five fingers being used for bouldering, they suck.

marc801

Oct 12, 2011, 4:28 AM
Post #19 of 20 (7962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:
You do realize that you're becoming incredibly annoying, right? There are people here with a lot of experience trying to answer your questions and you're arguing with them, thinking you know more. Please STFU for a while and try to understand the advice.

lena_chita

Oct 12, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #20 of 20 (7933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dwhitt1981 wrote:

The same is true with climbing.

If someone just wants to try climbing for the first time, I would tell them to just climb in their sneakers if this was outside and I didn't have shoes to lend them, or tell them to rent shoes, if this were in the gym.

You made it sound in our other posts (buying rope, anchors, etc.) that you are beyond just trying it once, and you want to actually climb. In that case, you need shoes.

And yes, I told you that you don't need the most expensive shoes or gear. Go back and re-read.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook