RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

unga123

Oct 24, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3466 views)
Shortcut

Pad of fingers torn off. How long/suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok. Today while working, I dropped a large stone tile and it pinched the pad of my ring and middle finger. My middle finger is all right although can't climb on it. The problem is the ring finger. the pad of it came roughly 60% off. Like, imagine a flapper but the entire pad of your finger. It also came off pretty deep like 2-3mm (quite a lot of depth for a finger). I went to the doctor and they just put on some of cream, wrapped it, and told me to come back tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what I should do, or estimates at how long recovery would be would be appreciated.

ClimbClimb

Oct 24, 2011, 7:56 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unga123] Pad of fingers torn off. How long/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hope you feel better & heal up soon.

The doctors will probably tell you better, including what to do / not to do, but from some similar experience I'd guess it's month or more for it to grow back.

Try to look on the upside, you probably won't have a fingerprint on that finger anymore, so that's worth something, right?

jae8908

Oct 24, 2011, 8:11 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep antibiotic ointment on it. it will heal faster than you think.

Player

Oct 25, 2011, 1:44 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unga123 wrote:
Ok. Today while working, I dropped a large stone tile and it pinched the pad of my ring and middle finger. My middle finger is all right although can't climb on it. The problem is the ring finger. the pad of it came roughly 60% off. Like, imagine a flapper but the entire pad of your finger. It also came off pretty deep like 2-3mm (quite a lot of depth for a finger). I went to the doctor and they just put on some of cream, wrapped it, and told me to come back tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what I should do, or estimates at how long recovery would be would be appreciated.

Print this page out and show it to your doctor when you go tomorrow. He/she likely has more experience with this then the half dozen people here who may have had something similar happen to them. Try to enjoy the time you will be taking off climbing instead of worrying.

Hope the healing is fast and well for you.

suecharles

Nov 14, 2011, 6:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OUCH! ok here is something I have done in the past.
Wound care bandaids... these are not regular bandaids
these are made from a thick cellulose material. place them over your wound, they are thick and will protect your nerves so less painful. then tape your fingers, this is to keep the bandaids firmly in place.

only change the bandaids if they start to get loose or dirty and if you can, keep the tape on too. taking it on and off will disturb the healing process.

At rushclimbing.com we sell a really sticky finger tape that is also high friction. It's perfect for this kind of job but really any finger tape you are using and are happy with will be fine.

good luck, hope you get climbing again soon.

mckbill

Nov 14, 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suecharles] Pad of fingers torn off. How long/suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad you are able to see a doctor, and I hope you recover from this injury quickly and completely.

When I was landscaping I suffered a 'brick pinch' while stacking bricks and it took off the tip of my middle finger. It took a long long time to heal, and was painful for over a year. I remember using tape to cover my finger tip so that I could play bass guitar with the band I was in at the time. The finger was very sensitive for over a year. That was over 15 years ago and the finger is in perfect shape again.

More recently, I nearly removed my left ring finger nail in a table saw accident. It's been about a month and healing wonderfully. I've gone climbing again indoors and have no pain. One of the things that promoted quick healing for me was using a specialized bandage perhaps similar to what 'suecharles' suggests.

I too was fortunate to be able to see a doctor and was given a Mipilix AG Border bandage. It has a silicone border to stick over the healthy skin surrounding the wound. The padding is highly absorbent and contains silver (periodic table abbv=Ag) to prevent infection. This helped me in the first two weeks when the wound was very raw and bloody, and I did not have to change the dressing every day.

To keep active (remodeling my kitchen) I put gauze over this dressing and then applied athletic tape. The layering protected the important dressing and also padded my sensitive injury allowing me to continue working on my remodeling project.

Good luck to you and I hope you heal quickly.

(This post was edited by mckbill on Nov 14, 2011, 12:54 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook