RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

monklerman

Nov 20, 2011, 7:35 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4234 views)
Shortcut

Help! Winter climbing near Michigan??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello! I'm new here and just wondering I could get a little help from some more experienced climbers. I am trying to plan a climbing trip for late December/early January, but I don't know where I can go that won't be too cold to climb on.

I was recently down in Slade, KY and it was amazing climbing, but I don't know if it will be a warm enough environment to allow us to climb. I live near Lansing, MI currently and looking to go somewhere that is relatively close (West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc). Anyways, thanks for your help I appreciate it and look forward to hearing some responses!

Player

Nov 20, 2011, 9:54 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [monklerman] Help! Winter climbing near Michigan?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

RRG may work then, but I wouldn't plan the trip out based on there. I'd look a lil further south, and check the weather a couple days before leaving, maybe switch to somewhere closer if it will be nice. Also, most of the campgrounds in Slade close for the winter, so beware of that. Maybe take up some ice climbing?

monklerman

Nov 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Player] Help! Winter climbing near Michigan?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya that's a good point... could always be a warm week. have u heard of any climbing near asheville, Nc in the smokeys or is RRG the best bet

tH1e-swiN1e

Nov 21, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb at RRG year round as long as I can deal with the temps. The more overhung the better once snow hits the ground. I dont know how hard you climb but easy stuff is usually out of the question. I go to HP40 every year during christmas break as well. Temps are usually perfect for bouldering.

lena_chita

Nov 21, 2011, 4:40 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you looking for roped climbing only, or are you interested in bouldering, too? And if you are looking for roped climbing, are you proficient on gear leads, or must it be sport only?

Late December/early January is a tricky time. I wish I could forecast the weather for you that far out, LOL.

Of the options mentioned, RRG is the closest to you, but it might be good, or it might not be. The last couple years were too wet to climb there for Christmas/New year, but early December was good and there were really great weekends in February. I have friends who climbed there over Christmas break in the past and the weather was in the 60s.

TN will have plenty of great climbing and bouldering within 1hr radius of Chattanooga, all climbable throughout winter, but your options for sport climbing are limited. Obed, I hear, is climbable in winter, and has a lot to offer in terms of sport climbs. But there is always a chance of getting hit with a random rare snowstorm or a rainy cold front. Last year my friends had one day of great climbing at Obed at Christmastime, and then 4 days straight of cold and rain.

NC also has plenty of climbable rock in winter, though not as much of winter sport climbing, if I understand correctly. I have not yet climbed in NC.

Horse Pens in Alabama would be probably the same distance driving-wise for you as TN or NC, and definitely good bouldering conditions throughout winter, unless you are unlucky enough to be hit with a rare snowstorm, like I was, while there...

alonzamiller

Nov 25, 2011, 6:58 AM
Post #6 of 7 (4087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello..
I am here to gather some information about the climbing in the region near Michigan.. I don't know whether it is the right place to ask question but any kind of information related to it will be a great help.. I am soon traveling there alone and this is my first climbing also.. I was wondering to know whether the place is safe for the first time climbers? Any tips regarding it?

jonlong

Dec 27, 2011, 2:32 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're looking to climb indoors, check out the Planet Rock climbing gyms. One in Pontiac and another in Ann Arbor.

As far as climbing outdoors, check out Grand Ledge, which is near Lansing. It's nothing like RRG; it's very short and only allows for top roped climbs. But it's better than nothing and is free.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook