Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Adirondack Rock and Ice Climbers Facebook Community
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stoopid

Jun 28, 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3133 views)
Shortcut

Adirondack Rock and Ice Climbers Facebook Community  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Adirondack_park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

Recently a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/...bers/183979521651281 was developed with the intention of centralizing topics related to Adirondack climbing. If this interests you please feel free to Like the page. Events, announcements, meetups, etc will be posted; and of course general question and answer stuff (Facebook style) is welcome. This is an attempt to get some type of facebook identity for what is a sizeable but fragmented Adirondack climbing community.

There's also a homepage http://www.adkrock.com in development (currently only a Facebook newsfeed and advertisements). Unsure what direction this will take as it would ultimately overlap services offered here and on Mountain Project. One of the reasons I'm here today is to look deeper into what information about the ADKs is on rc.com to determine whether those overlaps actually exist.

We are in no way associated with the ADK Guide book publishers (www.adirondackrock.com), although I know Jeremy (but only email corresponded with Jim). This is a separate thing to fill in some online social gaps.

I've been involved in online Adirondack activites for many years as founder of adkforum.com and involvement on several other related websites. My interests shifted away from hiking and paddling to rock climbing in recent years, so naturally my creative web-based mind started to notice shortcomings in the virtual means to which adk climbers in particular were using to communicate. It's in this spirit I'm here today.

(This post was edited by stoopid on Dec 14, 2011, 10:55 PM)

stoopid

Jun 28, 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stoopid] Adirondack Rock and Ice Climbers Facebook Community [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a repost suggested by another member... it would seem this is the best spot on the forum for this topic.

stoopid

Aug 8, 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a bump to remind people of the group. 58 members and growing :-)

stoopid

Dec 14, 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

120+ members but not a lot of activity. Not a big deal, it's intended to be informative anyway!

Since posting the original topic I obviously looked at this and other forums and didn't see any shortcomings (or at least nothing that would require reinventing the wheel and starting ANOTHER online forum). The website is now just serving as a placeholder and as a means for google to keep it relevant until such a time a good use for it can be made... or Facebook tanks (not likely) and we're forced to use a blogging/forum format.

In the meantime, enjoy ice season!

(This post was edited by stoopid on Dec 14, 2011, 11:01 PM)

stoopid

Mar 22, 2012, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Still growing, 154 members with people checking regularly. Early Spring will swing things into high gear quickly. Might even organize a meet and greet at some point.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook