Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JNegast

Dec 30, 2011, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 39 (11061 views)
Shortcut

Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just moved to San Diego and i picked up rock climbing a couple months ago im just curious as to where can i climb outdoors? ive only been climbing in the local gym mesa rim but looking for that outdoor experience. Also what gear do you NEED for climbing outdoors? Also looking for climbing buddies so get at me Jarrednegast09@gmail.com

Urban_Cowboy

Dec 30, 2011, 8:10 AM
Post #2 of 39 (11043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JNegast] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not start by asking "people" at the gym? Chances are they have better local knowledge and could help out better as a climbing partner...than someone on a keyboard from somewhere on the intardnets.

ilikepargo

Dec 30, 2011, 9:59 AM
Post #3 of 39 (11030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JNegast] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The most important "piece of equipment" that you NEED for climbing outside your first few times is an EXPERIENCED PARTNER. You can find information on crags/routes here on this website. You may be able to find a decent guidebook that'll help you. But going to a gym to meet an EXPERIENCED PARTNER is your most important step.

Partner j_ung

Dec 30, 2011, 2:41 PM
Post #4 of 39 (10985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome! Here's some additional good reading:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...limbing_FAQ_981.html

wonderwoman

Dec 30, 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #5 of 39 (10979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from General to Beginners by WW.

Welcome to climbing, and to RC.com!

Andiran17

Dec 30, 2011, 7:46 PM
Post #6 of 39 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ilikepargo wrote:
The most important "piece of equipment" that you NEED for climbing outside your first few times is an EXPERIENCED PARTNER. You can find information on crags/routes here on this website. You may be able to find a decent guidebook that'll help you. But going to a gym to meet an EXPERIENCED PARTNER is your most important step.

I agree that an experienced partner is super important. I've been really lucky in that respect-- my first climbing experience was outdoors with a really experienced, really safe climber.

You can post under the West Coast forum here to look for partners. It can be tough at first, so meeting people at the gym might be your best bet.

As for gear, I've been sport climbing for 11 months and I only have my own: chalkbag (diy), harness, belay device, personal anchor system (slings + locking carabiners), and shoes. My partners have been kind enough to bring their rope and quickdraws. Once I get more experience and cashmoney, I'll look into getting my own or splitting the cost of new gear with my regular partner.

Okay, enough from me. The article linked above is excellent!

I've attached the San Diego Rock mini-guide I downloaded when I was going to try to climb down there a few months ago. Didn't end up getting out, but someday. Unfortunately I can't find the site I originally downloaded it from. - [Edited to strike this; the file was too big to attach. Oops.]

Good luck, and welcome!

(This post was edited by Andiran17 on Dec 30, 2011, 8:00 PM)

marc801

Dec 30, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #7 of 39 (10847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JNegast wrote:
I just moved to San Diego and i picked up rock climbing a couple months ago im just curious as to where can i climb outdoors? ive only been climbing in the local gym mesa rim but looking for that outdoor experience. Also what gear do you NEED for climbing outdoors? Also looking for climbing buddies so get at me Jarrednegast09@gmail.com
It's not a game. Unlike most games, you can get killed or kill someone else from a single poor judgement or moment of inattention.

JNegast

Jan 4, 2012, 7:43 AM
Post #8 of 39 (10629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i know that im not dumb, just wanted to know where spots are in san diego. that is all.

jjones16

Jan 4, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #9 of 39 (10539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mission Gorge for roped climbing and Mt. Woodson for bouldering. Look up those two places. They are the closest to you.

lithiummetalman

Jan 4, 2012, 6:46 PM
Post #10 of 39 (10523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also Check out:

Santee Boulders
Lake Dixon

Cheers!

erisspirit

Jan 4, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #11 of 39 (10491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out http://alliedclimbers.org/local-climbing

or you can get a guidebook for the San Diego area.

You could also check out the Rock Climbers of San Diego meetup group. They have a weekly meetup at Mesa Rim Tuesday nights.

As for gear... If you can find someone to take you outdoors you can usually get away with harness, shoes, and a belay device

feetfirst

Jan 5, 2012, 2:16 AM
Post #12 of 39 (10428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

also live in SD. i may be heading down to mesa rim on monday if you're interested. me and a couple buddies have some local climbing spots in north county and go to mt woodson pretty often. hit me up, just need shoes and a harness Smile

JNegast

Jan 6, 2012, 3:35 AM
Post #13 of 39 (10324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [feetfirst] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

honeatly thank you everyone i love how climbers are friendly people and if you do go to mesa please email me so i can send you my number and we can meet up! im really trying to find some cool cats to climb with and people that are better than me so i can improve my game a lot quicker!! cheer to everyone god bless!!

JNegast

Jan 6, 2012, 3:36 AM
Post #14 of 39 (10323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cheer to you too!!

JNegast

Jan 6, 2012, 3:38 AM
Post #15 of 39 (10321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Andiran17] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i recent just bought the shoes bag harness and belay devices not sure about all the other stuff yet until i get to try it out

JNegast

Jan 6, 2012, 3:40 AM
Post #16 of 39 (10318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

santee boulder looks so sick definatly trying to make a trip there since its about 10 mins away from where im living!

ronamick

Jan 8, 2012, 2:14 AM
Post #17 of 39 (10182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Santee would definately be a better place for bouldering. Its open, the problems are obvious, and the ground level for the most part. Woodson has few problems under 5.9, and its not obvious where to go on the hill to boulder. Best to go there with someone familiar with the place.

Mission Gorge has lots of TR climbs, but be aware that the rock is slick as snot and the climbing is unique, unlike anything else in the county. The rounded, indistinct holds at the Gorge are about as different from gym climbing as it gets.

Id say a chalkbag, shoes, harness, belay device and a couple locking carabiners should get you going.

jt512

Jan 8, 2012, 2:31 AM
Post #18 of 39 (10175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

JNegast wrote:
santee boulder looks so sick definatly trying to make a trip there since its about 10 mins away from where im living!

Ya think there might be a reason for that little button under the text box with the word "quote" on it?

curt

Jan 8, 2012, 4:12 AM
Post #19 of 39 (10157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ronamick] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ronamick wrote:
Santee would definately be a better place for bouldering. Its open, the problems are obvious, and the ground level for the most part. Woodson has few problems under 5.9, and its not obvious where to go on the hill to boulder. Best to go there with someone familiar with the place.

Mission Gorge has lots of TR climbs, but be aware that the rock is slick as snot and the climbing is unique, unlike anything else in the county. The rounded, indistinct holds at the Gorge are about as different from gym climbing as it gets.

Id say a chalkbag, shoes, harness, belay device and a couple locking carabiners should get you going.

Good beta.

Curt

JNegast

Jan 8, 2012, 4:46 AM
Post #20 of 39 (10140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, thanks alot now thats the reply i was looking for! Ill check out santee this week and i bought most of the gear at an outlet this weekend so im set to go. Also what is the locking carabinger? those ones that slip in between crack to support yourself?

JNegast

Jan 8, 2012, 4:48 AM
Post #21 of 39 (10140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 go bug someone elses forum

Urban_Cowboy

Jan 8, 2012, 5:20 AM
Post #22 of 39 (10132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JNegast wrote:
Curt, thanks alot now thats the reply i was looking for! Ill check out santee this week and
You do realize Curt wasn't the one that actually posted the reply you were looking for? He simply commented that the other post was good information.

JNegast wrote:
i bought most of the gear at an outlet this weekend so im set to go. Also what is the locking carabinger? those ones that slip in between crack to support yourself?
Please tell us you're not serious about this inquiry?

marc801

Jan 8, 2012, 7:06 AM
Post #23 of 39 (10108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JNegast wrote:
Also what is the locking carabinger? those ones that slip in between crack to support yourself?
Does anyone have a gibberish to English dictionary handy?

JNegast

Jan 8, 2012, 7:28 AM
Post #24 of 39 (10097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Im new to the rock climbing game and looking for answers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

your a doochebag i just got into this sport give a newbee some slack... faggot

Greggle

Jan 8, 2012, 7:51 AM
Post #25 of 39 (10096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
JNegast wrote:
Also what is the locking carabinger? those ones that slip in between crack to support yourself?
Does anyone have a gibberish to English dictionary handy?

Hmm... methinks "carabinger" is a typo. I posit that OP means "carob binger," or one who binges on carob. The second interrogative, such as it is, suggests OP also uses crack cocaine in a recreational manner. Why or how OP uses either to support him- or herself is beyond me.

The true meaning is impossible to tell; it is simply a loose amalgam of climbtard graphemes.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook