Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Red-Flag

Jan 9, 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #1 of 53 (8913 views)
Shortcut

Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently a major conflict has come up with the main route developer in my area and myself. I could greatly use some advice on how to handle the situation as the consequences are grave and the outcome of our problem affects the entire community. Let me start off with the basics first.

I mainly climb at a small sport crag located on private property, one of five small crags in the area. Although the property is privately owned, the owner wants noting to do with anything climbing related. He says he does not care who is on the property or what its used for, its just a section of land he owns but does not care about. So the owner refuses to be brought into the situation. Additionally the owner no longer lives in the USA, so its impossible to contact him.

For the past 15 years a guy named Mark has been maintaining the area and replacing old bolts with new ones as well as developing new crags. Until now he has been the sole route developer, but only because no one has been interested in doing any bolting work. About four years ago I moved to the area and started climbing. Recently I decided to add a few new routes to our main crag. I talked with the general community and everyone was is supportive in my developmental plans.

I talked to Mark about my plans. He disagreed with some of my ideas, he though one line was too close to another, another was too chossy and dangerous and he though the other two needed to converge with existing routes to reduce the number of top out anchors. I ran my ideas by the public again and everyone (aside from him and his friends) reconfirmed I have support to bolt the lines I had planed, and in the manner I planed to bolt them. So against Mark’s advice, I bolted all the routes I originally planed on bolting, and in the manner I planned on bolting them (separate anchors for each route, no converging of routes). When he found out, he flipped out telling me I need to run my ideas by the public (although I did).

Well I feel that when a developer creates a sport route, the developer has full control of the exact specifics under which the route is developed such as 10 bolts or 12, two pitches or one, left or right at the roof, ect. As long as I am not doing anything that is obviously unethical or wrong (bolting cracks, chipping, ect.), I get to decide on the precise specifics of how I develop my route. He feels that I need to run EVERYTHING by him and he needs to approve of it or else I cannot do it. Well I ran the specifics by everyone else and everyone accept him and his friend approved.

The truth, I think he is just pissed off I did not follow his recommendations. He is pissed off I added separate anchors and I used bolts that he does not like (yet they are 45 kN, 316 stainless steel, 5/8”x4”, hang a house off them strong).

The thing that pisses me off the most is he says I did not “consult the community” with my plans (although I asked everyone that climbs at the crag beforehand for approval), yet when he makes changes to a route or adds a new one, he doesent ask a single person, not one. He feels he has been there so long that he does not need to ask anyone for approval to do anything, only I do and when he says “ask the community”, he means submit to the precise advice of him and his friends.

Anyway now that the routes are bolted he is threatening to chop them. In retaliation, my friends are threatening to strip an entire private crag of his if he chops any of my routes. I feel that if a single bolt gets chopped, its going to trigger an all out war that will result in a completely devoid region, decommissioned of all climbing.

So I need advice on how to resolve this issue. I want to make everyone happy, however I refuse to submit to dictatorship under which I develop routes in a “free for all” area, especially when there is only one person that has a problem with my routes, everyone else supports them. I really want to take a "screw Mark" stance on this issue and just do my own thing and ignore him. However if I do that he will likely chop my routes which will result in war. I tried to suggest an "agree to disagree" stance with him, but he refused. I feel if you dont like a route, just dont climb it. But he feels if the route does not meet his criteria, it gets chopped.

(This post was edited by Red-Flag on Jan 9, 2012, 11:07 AM)

superchuffer

Jan 9, 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 53 (8878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Red-Flag] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

call his bluff. if he really is going to chop the routes, he will be shunned by the community. if he really cares that much about where anchors are and other silliness, then he gets whatever is coming to him. you chopping his routes his only make him look justified. let him be known as a bolt chopper. he sounds like a first class chufftard.

herites

Jan 9, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #3 of 53 (8869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Red-Flag] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You say most of the community agrees with you, if it's true, then use their power. Have them tell the guy that they are happy with your work, and they definitely won't be happy if he chops any bolts. Turn the community against him.

mojomonkey

Jan 9, 2012, 2:20 PM
Post #4 of 53 (8821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

herites wrote:
Turn the community against him.

This sounds productive and has always worked well, right? Ken Nichols was happy to hear input from the community and act accordingly, right?

Likely both the poster and Mark feel like the community is on their side but each is really only talking to people who share their views, or people who with no strong opinion who agree with whichever view is presented just to move on from the topic.

billcoe_

Jan 9, 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #5 of 53 (8806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I offer no advice here, as from your description clearly it appears that 2 people are right and neither of you appears to want to compromise. So go ahead and have your fight.

Then you'll be back later whining about your bolts being chopped.

Then you'll be back complaining how this other asshole got your crag closed down....

Then no one will be able to climb there.....or....hmmm, too bad there wasn't another way.

Most unfortunate.

Red-Flag wrote:
Recently a major conflict has come up with the main route developer in my area and myself. I could greatly use some advice on how to handle the situation as the consequences are grave and the outcome of our problem affects the entire community. Let me start off with the basics first.

I mainly climb at a small sport crag located on private property, one of five small crags in the area. Although the property is privately owned, the owner wants noting to do with anything climbing related. He says he does not care who is on the property or what its used for, its just a section of land he owns but does not care about. So the owner refuses to be brought into the situation. Additionally the owner no longer lives in the USA, so its impossible to contact him.

For the past 15 years a guy named Mark has been maintaining the area and replacing old bolts with new ones as well as developing new crags. Until now he has been the sole route developer, but only because no one has been interested in doing any bolting work. About four years ago I moved to the area and started climbing. Recently I decided to add a few new routes to our main crag. I talked with the general community and everyone was is supportive in my developmental plans.

I talked to Mark about my plans. He disagreed with some of my ideas, he though one line was too close to another, another was too chossy and dangerous and he though the other two needed to converge with existing routes to reduce the number of top out anchors. I ran my ideas by the public again and everyone (aside from him and his friends) reconfirmed I have support to bolt the lines I had planed, and in the manner I planed to bolt them. So against Mark’s advice, I bolted all the routes I originally planed on bolting, and in the manner I planned on bolting them (separate anchors for each route, no converging of routes). When he found out, he flipped out telling me I need to run my ideas by the public (although I did).

Well I feel that when a developer creates a sport route, the developer has full control of the exact specifics under which the route is developed such as 10 bolts or 12, two pitches or one, left or right at the roof, ect. As long as I am not doing anything that is obviously unethical or wrong (bolting cracks, chipping, ect.), I get to decide on the precise specifics of how I develop my route. He feels that I need to run EVERYTHING by him and he needs to approve of it or else I cannot do it. Well I ran the specifics by everyone else and everyone accept him and his friend approved.

The truth, I think he is just pissed off I did not follow his recommendations. He is pissed off I added separate anchors and I used bolts that he does not like (yet they are 45 kN, 316 stainless steel, 5/8”x4”, hang a house off them strong).

The thing that pisses me off the most is he says I did not “consult the community” with my plans (although I asked everyone that climbs at the crag beforehand for approval), yet when he makes changes to a route or adds a new one, he doesent ask a single person, not one. He feels he has been there so long that he does not need to ask anyone for approval to do anything, only I do and when he says “ask the community”, he means submit to the precise advice of him and his friends.

Anyway now that the routes are bolted he is threatening to chop them. In retaliation, my friends are threatening to strip an entire private crag of his if he chops any of my routes. I feel that if a single bolt gets chopped, its going to trigger an all out war that will result in a completely devoid region, decommissioned of all climbing.

So I need advice on how to resolve this issue. I want to make everyone happy, however I refuse to submit to dictatorship under which I develop routes in a “free for all” area, especially when there is only one person that has a problem with my routes, everyone else supports them. I really want to take a "screw Mark" stance on this issue and just do my own thing and ignore him. However if I do that he will likely chop my routes which will result in war. I tried to suggest an "agree to disagree" stance with him, but he refused. I feel if you dont like a route, just dont climb it. But he feels if the route does not meet his criteria, it gets chopped.

wonderwoman

Jan 9, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #6 of 53 (8791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recommend employing the use of a "Kick-A-Poo Kid", loaded with "powerful Poo-A-Doo powder and ants' eggs and bees' legs and dried-fried clam chowder" to scare off any bolt choppers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...e_Butter_Battle_Book

The Butter Battle is the first thing that came to mind. But seriously, an eye for an eye will make the world blind (and result in no routes to climb).

potreroed

Jan 9, 2012, 3:51 PM
Post #7 of 53 (8738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

That really sucks when someone tries to dictate what you can and can't do at your crags.

My advice would be to do nothing--enjoy climbing your new routes.

If he should chop your routes, DO NOT damage any of his. Simply replace yours as often as necessary. If your routes are good you will win in the end.

meatbomz

Jan 9, 2012, 4:32 PM
Post #8 of 53 (8702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

So this guy has been developing this area for 15 years on his own dime and you just walk in and start throwing up squeeze jobs on his lines and then talking shit about him on the internet? Would it have hurt your ego that much to follow even one piece of his advice, just to get things off on the right foot? For instance, wouldn't it make sense to say to him "hey, I'm willing to compromise - let's have this route I put up on the main cliff share your anchor." You are the one that started this situation so it's on you to de-escalate it.

tH1e-swiN1e

Jan 9, 2012, 5:25 PM
Post #9 of 53 (8637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meatbomz] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meatbomz wrote:
So this guy has been developing this area for 15 years on his own dime and you just walk in and start throwing up squeeze jobs on his lines and then talking shit about him on the internet? Would it have hurt your ego that much to follow even one piece of his advice, just to get things off on the right foot? For instance, wouldn't it make sense to say to him "hey, I'm willing to compromise - let's have this route I put up on the main cliff share your anchor." You are the one that started this situation so it's on you to de-escalate it.

Agreed. Maybe those lines arent bolted for a reason. With 15 years of bolting experience Im sure he knows what hes doing and can spot a route on a wall. Learn from him, it'll help everyone in the long run.

granite_grrl

Jan 9, 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #10 of 53 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It takes time an experiance to put up good lines. Most people go through some ugly growing pains when they're learning to bolt, often putting up crappy lines, putting bolts in bad clipping stances, making unfortunate runouts, etc etc etc. The one way this can be avoided is by having a good mentor in bolting, to discuss your line and review your bolt placements.

Sounds like you're just a dude who bought a hammer drill and now going through the growing pains. It's possible that the original developper still puts up crappy lines, or maybe his ego is too big to handle and can't handle the "competition", but chances are you think you put up better lines than you did and that you could (and should) learn a lot from the original developper.

clc

Jan 9, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #11 of 53 (8463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Ed.
Don't chop marks routes. How would that benifit the climbing at your crag?. You want to make it better, so chopping lines is useless.
And i've never heard of using 5/8" bolts. You are new to route setting, maybe the other guys knows something you don't know.

potreroed wrote:
That really sucks when someone tries to dictate what you can and can't do at your crags.

My advice would be to do nothing--enjoy climbing your new routes.

If he should chop your routes, DO NOT damage any of his. Simply replace yours as often as necessary. If your routes are good you will win in the end.

Partner j_ung

Jan 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #12 of 53 (8436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's no way anybody here can advise you without being there and knowing both sides of the story. HOWEVER, advice to not chop bolts is almost always good, IMO. I didn't get into climbing to be one side of an ethics debate. Did you?

jcrew

Jan 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #13 of 53 (8420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

red-flag, you post raises a bunch of red flags.

first mark has been holding it down, by himself, for 15 years. you wouldn't even know about the place or climb there if it wasn't for his efforts. then, you dis his advice while you're trying to hump his leg! claiming no "ethical" violations; squeeze jobs are lame!! just TR it and call it a variation. i suspect you've got less than 5 years experience. my advice, go find your own crag, and let mark have his space.

mitchy

Jan 9, 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #14 of 53 (8415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, do exactly what someone else told you to do. invite this cat to a bar, buy him some beers, maybe buy some more beers. Take it outside and spark up a doob. problem solved.

healyje

Jan 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #15 of 53 (8361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sport climbers having a bolt war - now that's both rich and irony-laden.

bigo

Jan 10, 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #16 of 53 (8333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Sport climbers having a bolt war - now that's both rich and irony-laden.

We can always rely on you to have thought provoking and incite-ful posts.

Unimpressed

To the OP, am I to understand that you have been climbing for four years or less?

acorneau

Jan 10, 2012, 1:02 AM
Post #17 of 53 (8282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some good advice so far.

My thought would be to call a meeting of the climbing community. Raise the questions, let people have their say.
It might be time for your area to have a community-based organization.

Here in Texas we have:

-Central Texas Climbing Committee
-Reimers Ranch Climbing Committee
-Friends of Enchanted Rock

And just to the north of us is the Wichita Mountains Climbers Coalition.

All these organizations are there to make sure the climbing areas are maintained for the good of the community at large. Sure, organizations can have their faults and red tape, but in the end they're what helps keep the crags democratic.

Good luck. Sounds like you're in for a tough road ahead, but hopefully you, the crags, and the community will come out in better shape in the end.

onceahardman

Jan 10, 2012, 2:46 AM
Post #18 of 53 (8231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

To paraphrase Pol Pot, it seems you want to destroy the cliff to save it.

The logical extension of your effort is a closed cllimbing area on private property. I hope it is worth that much to you.

socalclimber

Jan 10, 2012, 3:42 AM
Post #19 of 53 (8191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meatbomz] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meatbomz wrote:

Agreed. Another gumby with a bolt kit. My guess is all his support is from his equally gumby friends.

Maybe if you had listened to him, and asked him to help you, this would not be happening. Did it every occur to you to say "hey, would you be willing to go out with me and put up some new lines???? I'd like to learn."

My guess is no, you did not.

Sounds to me like this guy has been at this a whole lot longer than you. Forget getting your name in the guide books.

Red-Flag

Jan 10, 2012, 5:45 AM
Post #20 of 53 (8147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

meatbomz wrote:
It seems there is some confusion in my past involvement, so let me clear that up. I have also been developing the area for the last four years. In fact, I have been developing the area far more than he has in the last four years. I am at the crag more than any single person, everyone that climbs at the crag knows who I am, I have been climbing there 5x a week since late 2007. This is just the first time I am adding NEW] routes. I have replaced hundreds of bolts on old routes. I have been climbing over ten years, I have climbed a number of routes on El Cap, I have climbed at over 75 different destinations in the world, I am not some new gumbie with a hammer drill. We are both experienced in bolting routes in the area.

And I did try to compromise with him. He thought one of my routes had too much loose rock at the top. So I ended the route before the loose rock and I cleaned all the choss off the top. He wanted me to use the bolts he uses. So I agreed. He wanted me to glue reinforce holds instead of break them off, so I said okay. But its just one thing after another. I give an inch and he wants a mile, he wants the routes to be developed under his exact specification, as if I worked for him and he was paying me to develop routes or something.

(This post was edited by Red-Flag on Jan 10, 2012, 6:02 AM)

jt512

Jan 10, 2012, 6:01 AM
Post #21 of 53 (8137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:
And I DID try to compromise with him. He thought one of my routes had too much loose rock at the top. So I ended the route before the loose rock and I cleaned all the choss off the top.

And we're supposed to side with you?

Jay

superchuffer

Jan 10, 2012, 1:06 PM
Post #22 of 53 (8060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:
meatbomz wrote:
It seems there is some confusion in my past involvement, so let me clear that up. I have also been developing the area for the last four years. In fact, I have been developing the area far more than he has in the last four years. I am at the crag more than any single person, everyone that climbs at the crag knows who I am, I have been climbing there 5x a week since late 2007. This is just the first time I am adding NEW] routes. I have replaced hundreds of bolts on old routes. I have been climbing over ten years, I have climbed a number of routes on El Cap, I have climbed at over 75 different destinations in the world, I am not some new gumbie with a hammer drill. We are both experienced in bolting routes in the area.

And I did try to compromise with him. He thought one of my routes had too much loose rock at the top. So I ended the route before the loose rock and I cleaned all the choss off the top. He wanted me to use the bolts he uses. So I agreed. He wanted me to glue reinforce holds instead of break them off, so I said okay. But its just one thing after another. I give an inch and he wants a mile, he wants the routes to be developed under his exact specification, as if I worked for him and he was paying me to develop routes or something.

there isn't confusion, it is rc.com. it has been fun to watch the evolution of the two threads you started, one here and one on mp.com. the solution on mp.com is to get 'mark' drunk and stoned and that will solve everything. typical.

here, there is an immediate assumption that you are the young whippersnapper and 'mark' is the old, respected but dated, once hard man. of course, rc.com is full of this set of climber, so they have created a whole back story of your story that justifies mark's bolt chopping threats.

(This post was edited by superchuffer on Jan 10, 2012, 1:11 PM)

blueeyedclimber

Jan 10, 2012, 1:41 PM
Post #23 of 53 (8048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red-Flag wrote:
meatbomz wrote:

I am not sure what your goal is. Is it to get some anonymous internet genuises to say "There, there, you're right."? From what you wrote, it SOUNDS like Mark is an a-hole. But, what's his side (from him, not you)?

Josh

mojomonkey

Jan 10, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #24 of 53 (8028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
here, there is an immediate assumption that you are the young whippersnapper and 'mark' is the old, respected but dated, once hard man. of course, rc.com is full of this set of climber, so they have created a whole back story of your story that justifies mark's bolt chopping threats.

You've mixed up your tired characterizations - this is the site for noobs and supertopo is for the has-beens.

superchuffer

Jan 10, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #25 of 53 (7926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Extreme development tension at my crag - War is about to break. Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

plenty of non-Valley has-beens on this site. can one be a noob and a has-been simultaniously?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook