Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Has anyone had a fusion surgery for a bunion and continues to climb?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

mooredaniel

Jan 13, 2012, 4:41 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone had a fusion surgery for a bunion and continues to climb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few people already have posted about bunions, and some people have mentioned having had surgeries, which in almost all cases sound like the first-stage surgery, shortening the tendon that connects the big toe to the foot. I haven't seen anyone who has undergone a fusion surgery, the Lapidus procedure, which my podiatrist told me is the second-stage surgery for persistent bunions. The surgery removes all movement from the big toe, fusing the metatarsal with the mid-foot so the toe doesn't move. My doctor and the online materials I've consulted offer no promises for active life-styles post fusion surgery.

http://footandankle.mdmercy.com/conditions/bigtoe/hallux_valgus.html

The podiatrist said I will eventually need the Lapidus surgery. It's only a matter of time before my feet will be in constant pain. My previous tending-shortening surgery was unsuccessful. Basically I'm really worried that my climbing days are numbered (age 29).

I've started to take some measures to stall the advancing pain, investing in orthopedic wear, but I already feel differences in the way I walk right up to my knee. It's discomfort now, but very sensitive already.

Have any climbers had a fusion surgery? Have they continued to climb?

I'm aware that the podiatrist I spoke with may not have presented all the options. Her version of my options differed significantly from the doctor's who performed my first operation, so apparently there are multiple possibilities for operating on a serious bunion. Have any climbers with persistent bunions had different experiences/strategies?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook