Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Jan 25, 2012, 11:47 PM
Post #101 of 105 (3079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Learn about DYNAMIC BELAYS! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
A
fall on static rope with little elongation and a fixed anchor point will generate much higher impact forces
than a fall on dynamic rope using a running belay.

http://www.sterlingrope.com/...ument/techmanual.pdf

sterling rope uses running belay as to mean dynamic belay .... as does the UIAA

good enuff for me .... though maybe not for RCers Wink

No, I would assume Sterling means running belay in the standard sense: the top piece - the one that feels the fall.

GO

bearbreeder

Jan 26, 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #102 of 105 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Learn about DYNAMIC BELAYS! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i always took running belays to mean one where the bottom climber wa unanchored ... whether simuling or not ...

in this UIAA document ... i doubt that that running belay simply means top piece as we have ... stance vs. running belay

edit ... i should clarify my running=dynamic belay ... what i should have said is an unachored belay and thus possibly dynamic ... bleh

not that it really matters except to RC folks ... its not like were dealing with stuff like "lower", "on/off belay", "climb on" ... which can have real consequences if your screw up the terminology

if i need what some people may call a "running belay" ... i tell my belayer in no uncertain terms to "run the fcuk back" should i fall

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Jan 26, 2012, 12:25 AM)

Partner cracklover

Jan 26, 2012, 5:22 PM
Post #103 of 105 (3017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
i always took running belays to mean one where the bottom climber wa unanchored ... whether simuling or not ...

in this UIAA document ... i doubt that that running belay simply means top piece as we have ... stance vs. running belay

edit ... i should clarify my running=dynamic belay ... what i should have said is an unachored belay and thus possibly dynamic ... bleh

not that it really matters except to RC folks ... its not like were dealing with stuff like "lower", "on/off belay", "climb on" ... which can have real consequences if your screw up the terminology

if i need what some people may call a "running belay" ... i tell my belayer in no uncertain terms to "run the fcuk back" should i fall

No, you seem to just misunderstand the phrase. Without seeing the context from which you drew that figure I can't be sure, but it seems pretty clear that the column on the left is what you might consider an "anchor", and the column on the right is a piece placed by a leader as part of the protection system while on lead. AKA, a "running belay".

And yes of course it matters in real life. IRL I read things and learn from them, and I communicate with others, sometimes using complex terms. If I misunderstand what I read, does that not impact my understanding? Or if I myself understand, but I communicate poorly, does that not lead others to misunderstand?

"Running belay" is a term that means different things in different contexts. The OP did a great job at using it appropriately. No need to mess things up.

GO

jt512

Jan 26, 2012, 6:16 PM
Post #104 of 105 (3007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Learn about DYNAMIC BELAYS! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:

[image]http://i39.tinypic.com/9lk2e1.png[/image]

No, you seem to just misunderstand the phrase. Without seeing the context from which you drew that figure I can't be sure, but it seems pretty clear that the column on the left is what you might consider an "anchor", and the column on the right is a piece placed by a leader as part of the protection system while on lead. AKA, a "running belay".

And yes of course it matters in real life. IRL I read things and learn from them, and I communicate with others, sometimes using complex terms. If I misunderstand what I read, does that not impact my understanding? Or if I myself understand, but I communicate poorly, does that not lead others to misunderstand?

"Running belay" is a term that means different things in different contexts. The OP did a great job at using it appropriately. No need to mess things up.

GO

I've seen this document, and you're right that the UIAA is using "running belay" in the traditional sense of a piece of pro between belays. I have no idea what Sterling is talking about in the previous document. They don't define the term, and the context doesn't do much to clarify the meaning.

Jay

JimTitt

Jan 26, 2012, 6:24 PM
Post #105 of 105 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A running belay has always been a point of protection the rope runs through as opposed to a fixed belay. It was when I started climbing, is defined as such in the Dictionary of Mountaineering which I got in 1967 and is the definition we all use in industry, including the UIAA. Itīs also the definition given in the Collins English dictionary. The Oxford English Dictionary gives it as `a device attached to a rock face through which a climbing rope runs freely, acting as a pulley if the climber falls.ī

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook