RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Thyphen

Feb 3, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5584 views)
Shortcut

Training routine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So i have been climbing for about 6 or 7 months now and I am bouldering v3s regularly and v4's with some difficulty and fairly regular fail. I occasionally top rope but not nearly as often as bouldering as I live in a new city where I don't have any friends who climb.

Anyways I am looking to start really training. I already climb 4-5 times a week but I want to start cutting up and getting stronger. I know a main problem I have is I am 5'10 and 200 lbs which I know I need to mainly lose some weight so my power to weight ratio is better.

Basically I am looking for like a routine that is 4-5 days a week like monday do X set of X crunches and X set of X pull ups tuesday do x seconds on hang board x times etc. etc.

My rock gym has a good weight and machine room. I have already started trying to eat healthier, no soda no candy more protein more salads etc. But I still need to slim down and build more strength any suggestions here?

flesh

Feb 3, 2012, 8:16 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Thyphen] Training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thyphen wrote:
So i have been climbing for about 6 or 7 months now and I am bouldering v3s regularly and v4's with some difficulty and fairly regular fail. I occasionally top rope but not nearly as often as bouldering as I live in a new city where I don't have any friends who climb.

Anyways I am looking to start really training. I already climb 4-5 times a week but I want to start cutting up and getting stronger. I know a main problem I have is I am 5'10 and 200 lbs which I know I need to mainly lose some weight so my power to weight ratio is better.

Basically I am looking for like a routine that is 4-5 days a week like monday do X set of X crunches and X set of X pull ups tuesday do x seconds on hang board x times etc. etc.

My rock gym has a good weight and machine room. I have already started trying to eat healthier, no soda no candy more protein more salads etc. But I still need to slim down and build more strength any suggestions here?

Click on jt512's name and go to his document on dieting for climbing.

at 5,10 I'm sure you can lose at least 50lbs, using my maths, this equates to 6 v grades in bouldering without additional strength. So if you climbing v4 and you lose 50 lbs, you'll be climbing v10. Pretty exciting. My maths are only based on my personal experience.

Basically, you need to run a caloric deficit, if you burn 2k cals a day and you eat 1500, you'll lose about 1 lb a week. Because you'll be eating less, it's more important that what you do eat is healthy. Also, it's more important that you eat proper fueling foods before climbing and during climbing so that you don't burn out or bonk due to your caloric deficit.

sungam

Feb 3, 2012, 8:28 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What Flesh said. But also get the Self Coached Climber. It's pretty easy to make your own routine.

It's likely that your main ally in weight loss is going to be your diet, though.

theextremist04

Feb 5, 2012, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

5'10" 150-160 lbs. is a really healthy weight...if you could get there you'd be the perfect build for climbing. According to Eric Horst in his book "How to climb 5.12," climbing is a horrible way to lose weight, which I'd agree with (not from personal experience, it just seems like the wrong type of activity.) He suggests running, which I would agree with.

(This post was edited by theextremist04 on Feb 5, 2012, 4:38 AM)

sungam

Feb 5, 2012, 9:16 AM
Post #5 of 10 (5405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theextremist04] Training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theextremist04 wrote:
He suggests running, which I would agree with.
Too bad it's boring as hell.

shockabuku

Feb 5, 2012, 7:13 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
theextremist04 wrote:
He suggests running, which I would agree with.
Too bad it's boring as hell.

Not according to my maths!

Thyphen

Feb 6, 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #7 of 10 (5333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think the weight loss is something I really need to do. I have already given up Candy and Soda, for a couple weeks I just need to get my nutrition right.

Im also going to start running more I already do 2 miles twice a week usually but I should do it more often even on climbing days etc.

I checked out the suggested nutrition guide which gave some insight but any more suggestions for nutrition would be great.

sungam

Feb 6, 2012, 8:36 AM
Post #8 of 10 (5283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thyphen wrote:
I checked out the suggested nutrition guide which gave some insight but any more suggestions for nutrition would be great.
There is a book called "Gold Medal Nutrition" by Glenn Cardwell. If you want to learn about nutrition, I don't know of a better source (aside from, you know, school and stuff).

Lokie

Feb 7, 2012, 4:10 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512,

If you read this post:

I was reading through your dieting recommendations, and I was curious if you could provide me some literature on the topic of carbohydrates being muscle-sparing. I'm not questioning it, I'm simply interested in reading more about it.

Thanks

tH1e-swiN1e

Feb 8, 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lokie] Training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fat loss is all about the diet. Period.

bodybuilding.com has amazing dieting logs and programs in the forum section.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook