RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

tmplcrg

Mar 26, 2012, 9:55 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2360 views)
Shortcut

Hernia in Forearm
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I've acquired a small but noticeable, painless bulge in my forearm that tends to stand out when i climb and get a pump. My doctor suspects it is some kind of hernia. I'm scheduled to get an echograph done in a couple of weeks to verify this.

If it turns out to be a hernia: Has anyone here experienced this? Have you noticed that it has gotten worse over the months/years as you continued to climb, or did it remain stable? Of course the doc's will advise to stop stressing it..but I'm not keen on ending my climbing activities just yet.

Is it possible to use some kind of compression sleeve to help?

Thanks for any info

markcarlson

Mar 27, 2012, 1:27 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tmplcrg] Hernia in Forearm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where on your forearm? Do you have a picture?

I've seen one older guy (65+) at the gym with bulges on his forearms, but I never thought to ask what they were. His were quite noticeable. 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter and raised approx 1/2".

I know he has been climbing hard since the early '60s, but these seem recent. I don't see him as much any more since he climbs at a different gym now, but if I do, I'll ask.

doktor_g

Mar 27, 2012, 7:29 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markcarlson] Hernia in Forearm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen this once in practice and commented once in the forums. I would be interested to hear what your doc says. IMO, I would reinforce with tape and see if there's a difference in power. I doubt you will that there is one. Intervention depends on the location and structure involved. If it is purely cosemetic (ie no loss of function or pain) I would leave it alone. Otherwise, intervene with the knife...
DrG

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook