Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Trail work
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Apr 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1091 views)
Shortcut

Trail work  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area: Northern_Devils_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The trail to the Troll Hut has been improved, pruned, and remarked with cairns. This is the trail that starts from the fence of the powerstation and takes off south toward Thunder Island (the boulder hill with a tower in the middle of it) along the old road (now blocked with boulders), about 1/4 of the way around the perimeter on the right side (past the port-a-john). Where the trail eventually reached the edge of the canyon and ascended some steep slabs, it now snakes further around the end of the formation before climbing a natural set of steps to bring you in behind the 5.9+R "Sendero D'oro" and bring you down to the Hut proper. Look for new routes here in the next few months, as we cross our fingers and hope the highway will go the other way...

This is also a better way to access the trail past the canyon walls and down into the bottom of the basin.

sonso45

Apr 24, 2012, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Trail work [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you have done quite a bit of work in Queen Creek Canyon. I haven't heard of a Troll Hut.

Keep it up!

roninthorne

Apr 24, 2012, 6:28 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Trail work [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I managed to find a line or two while I was in the area:) And my new bride and I are hoping to do one or two more... stay tuned!

p.s. the Troll Hut is in Marty Karabin's North Devils' Canyon mini-guide. Only one (bold) route, hand-bolted and a trifle R, maybe even a splash of X. Cheers!

sonso45

Apr 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Trail work [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great to see some enthusiasm out there, I'll have to return...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook