RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Marylandclimber

May 3, 2012, 7:44 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4455 views)
Shortcut

Safe Cam?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are these Black Diamond C4's off Ebay considered safe? Everything looks new except there's no thumb loop in which i'm familiar with. Also, it is off Ebay which doesn't sound like the best place to buy climbing gear but I think it might be worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Diamond-Camalot-Size-1-Red-Rock-Climbing-Protection-Cam-/320896084985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab6e5abf9#ht_805wt_1396

shimanilami

May 3, 2012, 8:02 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Safe Cam? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are Camalots, which is the previous generation to the C4's. They are a touch heavier and don't have the thumb loop, but otherwise they are the same thing. They are as bomber as any cam you can buy.

As with anything else on EBay, there is potential for fraud, damage, etc. This particular item appears to be the real deal and in perfect condition. For $10, I'd say that you can't beat it.

sungam

May 5, 2012, 8:32 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other then replacing the sling it seems good to me.

billcoe_

May 5, 2012, 3:20 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Are these Black Diamond C4's off Ebay considered safe? Everything looks new except there's no thumb loop in which i'm familiar with. Also, it is off Ebay which doesn't sound like the best place to buy climbing gear but I think it might be worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Diamond-Camalot-Size-1-Red-Rock-Climbing-Protection-Cam-/320896084985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab6e5abf9#ht_805wt_1396

It's currently at $31 with 3 days left to go. You have no way to know if that cam has touched any battery acid and will fall apart on you. It's rare, but occurs. I've trusted soft goods off ebay, but it's a be very careful approach.

IMO, either buy new Camalots (which are better than the last gen Camalots) or used Metolius anything. The used Metolius in particular sell for less than camalots, outperform them in many respects, and Metolius will make them look new for a pittance. New slings are like $3.00 each. I bough a set for my boy for Christmas, a full set of old 4 cam unit Metolius with no slings on Ebay. By the time I'd gotten them slung by Metloius, they not only looked real close to brand new (I mean shiney and slick action), but the average cost was right at $20 a unit. $20 for a cam that is the last gen Metolius and appears by all accounts to be brand new, and in fact hold better than Camalots (I many peoples opinions) is fantastic. They give up a slight bit of range, but are lighter so you can carry more for the same weight.

Nitrox

May 6, 2012, 3:46 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Safe Cam? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bill is right, Battery acid flows like wine. Scientific studies have shown something like 122% all all cams on ebay have been soaked in battery acid. Definitely don't bid.

curt

May 6, 2012, 5:24 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Safe Cam? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
It's currently at $31 with 3 days left to go...

Currently $31.00 plus $7.50 shipping = $38.50.

Not necessarily a bad price--but perhaps no longer the bargain it first seemed to be. I wonder how much the OP unintentionally drove up the price when people who read this thread ended up bidding against him? Cool

Curt

billcoe_

May 9, 2012, 2:21 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Safe Cam? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Currently $31.00 plus $7.50 shipping = $38.50. Not necessarily a bad price--but perhaps no longer the bargain it first seemed to be. I wonder how much the OP unintentionally drove up the price when people who read this thread ended up bidding against him? Cool

Curt
LOL! And necessarily a bad price in that you can buy a brand new one for less. I don't know when you looked at it Curt, but it closed at $46.00 after 13 bids and Shipping is $7.50. $53.50 to get it into your sweaty grubby hands. And it's 3rd gen and used.

$51.95 is all for 4th gen and brand new- http://www.e-omc.com/...l?avad=1768_c2c9584f These are well known and honorable folks, have been in business selling climbing gear longer than I've been climbing. (I'm at 38 years or so)

Free shipping on orders over $50. http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/shipping.php

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook