RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

karmiclimber

May 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #1 of 9 (8303 views)
Shortcut

Of pregnancy and climbing...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone care to share any advice, experience or tips? Those that bought a full body harness...when did you start wearing it?

I rockclimbed only in the first trimester with my last pregnancy (and it was really before I knew that I was pregnant)...all of the books I have say to stay away from climbing...so I wanted to be a good little preggo and I did. But then realized quite a few women keep on climbing through their pregnancies. Obviously, you have to be careful, but why not?

smallclimber

May 17, 2012, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 9 (8253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Of pregnancy and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say you should do what you feel comfortable doing and listen to your body rather than either thinking "I shouldn't climb because someone who knows nothing about climbing says I shouldn't" OR "The other ladies on rc.com kept climbing so I should be able to".

As an experienced climber you can asses the risk of whatever type of climbing you are doing. So long as you have a competent belayer (and lets assume we all have competent belayers!) I would say indoor top roping on a straight line route using an appropriate harness for your size should really pose no risk. I also think it does not put any more strain on you than some of the positions you would be asked to try at a pre natal yoga class! Outdoor top roping, following and leading all pose increasing risks, but many women will do at least some of these for at least some of their pregnancy. If it doesn't feel right to you then don't continue, but if you feel comfortable it's probably ok (so long as you are not a high risk pregnancy).

Accept that you will not be able to climb as hard, or for as long as you used to be able to. Also accept that you might get "comments". Don't be mad at these people, it's hard for people who don't climb to assess the risk.
Good luck!

eightball

May 18, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #3 of 9 (8229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife is 8 months... She still climbs... Listen to your body, from what I understand is if you were doing it before, you can do it while prego... Except hot tubing... thats a no no... My wife also still rides motorcycles and horses... Her main complaint is core strength...

clee03m

May 18, 2012, 4:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (8208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a book called Exercising through your Pregnancy by Clapp you should read. Exercise is beneficial to both mom and baby. As far as top roping or following, I see very minimal risks unless you are traversing. I was also wary of lead belaying which may lead to a body slam. Of course we can't control rock falls or rap accidents and such, but you are more likely to get hurt from driving, and we don't hear people recommending pregnant women stop driving.

After researching and talking to 4 different OB's, I decided with my OB to continue leading until 14 weeks and continue climbing until the end. I stopped climbing during the second trimester both pregnancies due to pelvic instability and pain. But I continued to do aerobic exercises and lift weights until I gave birth.

I started wearing my full body harness around 14 weeks as well. I probably didn't need to start that early, but I didn't want to risk putting any sudden preasure on my belly.

I am selling my full body harness if you are interested. They are from Camp.

Congrats and happy pregger climbing!

karmiclimber

May 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #5 of 9 (8192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Of pregnancy and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Clee! This is really helpful. I plan on continuing with my current exercise routine...I do 30 mins of cardio and about 15-20 of weight lifting every other day.
Did you ever have to buy bigger shoes for swollen feet? Did you have trouble with your joints from extra weight/ relaxin? I will just top rope , I'm sure. We have an outside park that is like a climbing gym (but outside) ill try to lead there bcs if I get myself in a fix, the hospital is moments away. I'm not to worried...I think rockclimbing and pregnancy is under studied not flat out dangerous.

SylviaSmile

May 18, 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #6 of 9 (8190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carrie Cooper's blog is one of the first climbing blogs I found, and I still really enjoy reading it. If you go back several posts, she talks a fair bit about climbing, pregnancy, and kids. You probably saw the video she did for prAna, which is sweet, but she has a lot to say beyond that. Smile

clee03m

May 19, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #7 of 9 (8172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fortunately I didn't have swollen feet and was able to wear my shoes. Other than pelvic instability and pain, I didn't have a lot of joint pain during pregnancy. Interestingly, I seem to have a lot of joint pain after baby when I am breastfeeding like right now. But obviously you can get injured and have to be really careful with your joints.

Thanks for the link to the blog. I would be interested in reading it. I very much enjoyed the video before.

smallclimber

May 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #8 of 9 (8123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eightball] Of pregnancy and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eightball wrote:
My wife is 8 months... She still climbs... My wife also still rides motorcycles and horses... Her main complaint is core strength...
That's an interesting one, I wondered where horse riding fitted in on the "pregnancy risk scale". A friend who is a keen rider stopped right away, but still helped with the foot leading rein class to the end. I was a bit surprised she stopped right away, but she is a very conservative person and did exactly what her ob said (and now they do exactly what the pediatrician says to the very last letter). I used to ride as a kid, and was never scared, however now they seem like pretty big scarey animals and I do feel quite scared if I get close. But if you were an experienced rider, knew your horse well, and perhaps were riding in an indoor arena where you know an animal or vehicle cannot spook the horse would you feel ok?
Good on your wife for doing something she enjoys, and good luck when the baby comes.

SylviaSmile

May 22, 2012, 2:28 PM
Post #9 of 9 (8114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Of pregnancy and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

smallclimber wrote:
eightball wrote:
My wife is 8 months... She still climbs... My wife also still rides motorcycles and horses... Her main complaint is core strength...
That's an interesting one, I wondered where horse riding fitted in on the "pregnancy risk scale". A friend who is a keen rider stopped right away, but still helped with the foot leading rein class to the end. I was a bit surprised she stopped right away, but she is a very conservative person and did exactly what her ob said (and now they do exactly what the pediatrician says to the very last letter). I used to ride as a kid, and was never scared, however now they seem like pretty big scarey animals and I do feel quite scared if I get close. But if you were an experienced rider, knew your horse well, and perhaps were riding in an indoor arena where you know an animal or vehicle cannot spook the horse would you feel ok?
Good on your wife for doing something she enjoys, and good luck when the baby comes.

I might be completely off-base, but I thought women were not supposed to ride horses during pregnancy because of the impact involved in that activity, not just because you might fall off. Even with the falling, falling on toprope is a LOT safer than falling off a horse onto the ground . . . I'd try the former but probably not risk the latter.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook