Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

M_i_k_e

Aug 15, 2012, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 13 (7999 views)
Shortcut

Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just trying to decide between these 2 - $20 bucks more for the Tusk. I prefer a thinner rope but if anyone can add a little bit of experience here I'd appreciate it!

moose_droppings

Aug 15, 2012, 5:46 PM
Post #2 of 13 (7977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [M_i_k_e] Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

M_i_k_e wrote:
Just trying to decide between these 2 - $20 bucks more for the Tusk. I prefer a thinner rope but if anyone can add a little bit of experience here I'd appreciate it!

If it has to be one of those two, personally, I'd go with the Sterling.

M_i_k_e

Aug 15, 2012, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 13 (7975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! Can I ask why you prefer the Sterling?

Kartessa

Aug 15, 2012, 6:29 PM
Post #4 of 13 (7955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [M_i_k_e] Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to vote the other way... I like Sterling ropes, they feel great when belaying and when falling on them. They're pretty (oooooo)...

... but I love my Tusk. Had it for 5 years now, hundreds of falls, occasional sharp edges (it happens), kids' TR hangdog/ropeswing bullshit, lots of gym time, dragged across the globe, and I still love it.

In MY case, the sterling got wrecked after 1.5 seasons, ended up choppin'er down to nuttin, but the Tusk is still tickin'

moose_droppings

Aug 15, 2012, 6:34 PM
Post #5 of 13 (7950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since it's your first rope, it is the thicker of the two you have listed.

My personal preference comes from owning a couple of Sterling's ropes which have a supple hand to them (not so stiff). The biathlon rope itself wears like iron and is very abrasion resistant while still being a soft catch. Another plus is that the biathlon is a bicolor rope.

northfacejmb

Aug 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #6 of 13 (7919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with the sterling myself. I've really come to like their ropes. A friend of mine had the Tusk and ended up retiring it after just 1.5 years of occasional sport use. The thing became super stiff and nearly unusable.

ilikepargo

Aug 16, 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #7 of 13 (7909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't compare the two, as I've never owned the Mammut. But I climb with a Sterling, and I like it. The one I have now is pretty new. It's my third. When it's done, I'll get another. No reason to change what's working for me.

jeepnphreak

Aug 16, 2012, 3:19 PM
Post #8 of 13 (7857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both are fine ropes, I have owed both.

IMHO if you think you may be topping roping much go with the sterling, it will most likely last a bit longer. The sterling is a stiffer rope and I find it dosent clip as nice as the Tusk

If you thnk you may be leading more I would go with the Tusk, I really like the supple feel and smooth clipping.

M_i_k_e

Aug 16, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #9 of 13 (7822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice - might have jumped the gun a bit as I'm heading for a 5 day trip and wanted to get my order in before a sale ended. It looks like Sterling wins on votes but I went with the Tusk because of the points about wear and the lead climbing that I want to do. Ironically narrower rope doesn't translate to a weight advantage though. Fingers crossed that it was the right choice, points about Sterling's soft catch, etc definitely registered.

Kartessa

Aug 16, 2012, 7:30 PM
Post #10 of 13 (7809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

M_i_k_e wrote:
Thanks for all the advice - might have jumped the gun a bit as I'm heading for a 5 day trip and wanted to get my order in before a sale ended. It looks like Sterling wins on votes but I went with the Tusk because of the points about wear and the lead climbing that I want to do. Ironically narrower rope doesn't translate to a weight advantage though. Fingers crossed that it was the right choice, points about Sterling's soft catch, etc definitely registered.

Woo!!! Win!

Actually, you should get lots of lovin out of a tusk. Like I said, mine has been through hell and is still lovely (to use, not to look at - it's filthy). I would actually say that the rope started off a little stiff and got super supple around the 3rd season and is just starting to fatten up a little.

M_i_k_e

Aug 16, 2012, 8:18 PM
Post #11 of 13 (7795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Sterling biathlon pro or Mammut Tusk for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great, all the advice was really helpful.

M_i_k_e

Aug 25, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #12 of 13 (7521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just an addendum: both ropes were shipped to me because of a mistake at the retailer, and after looking at them in the flesh I went for the Sterling - bipattern was a lot more clear and there was no weight penalty for the thicker rope. Again thanks for the advice here as I knew what I'd be dealing with down the road. Should I even dare ask: quickdraw suggestions?

socalclimber

Aug 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #13 of 13 (7459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had lot's of ropes. I have found the Sterling's to be among the best. The mamut ropes are fine as well. I just really like Sterling. I think you will be happy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook