RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mtngonzo

Jan 17, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6002 views)
Shortcut

Custom shoes for gimp??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HI All
Looking for help. Lost 10 toes and 2 heels last year and having trouble getting my climbing shoes to stay on with my prosthesis. I've already gotten a pair of custom cycling shoes and they have mad a HUGE difference. The guy who built them is willing to loan out the custom lasts for a pair of climbing shoes but I haven't found anyone who does custom shoes. My old shoes are almost new but talking to Rock and Resole it is really pretty difficult to "cut them down". Anyone have any suggestions?? Like to get something before outside climbing season really gets going.

thanks!
David

jmichael

Jan 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #2 of 9 (5962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtngonzo] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This may or may not work, but perhaps a high top shoe like the 5.10 grandstone will stay on better as it will grip onto your ankle as well.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/62-grandstone

agdavis

Jan 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
Post #3 of 9 (5960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtngonzo wrote:
HI All
Looking for help. Lost 10 toes and 2 heels last year and having trouble getting my climbing shoes to stay on with my prosthesis. I've already gotten a pair of custom cycling shoes and they have mad a HUGE difference. The guy who built them is willing to loan out the custom lasts for a pair of climbing shoes but I haven't found anyone who does custom shoes. My old shoes are almost new but talking to Rock and Resole it is really pretty difficult to "cut them down". Anyone have any suggestions?? Like to get something before outside climbing season really gets going.

thanks!
David

The Evolv and 5.10 factories are in southern california - try giving them a call.

agdavis

Jan 18, 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtngonzo wrote:
HI All

thanks!
David

Also, why can't the guy who built your cycling shoes make them? Getting the rubber is fairly simple - you can buy a resole kit. As for the rest of the shoe, that's what your cobbler is for.

mtngonzo

Jan 18, 2012, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 9 (5942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agdavis] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

with respect to the cycling shoe guy it is an idea I had and I hinted around with him but he didn't seem too interested in attempting to learn about rock shoes. His cycling business is keeping him pretty busy.

Thanks for the SO Cal suggestions.

bearbreeder

Jan 18, 2012, 2:01 AM
Post #6 of 9 (5932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try contacting paradox sports ... they help people with certain challenges

they may know of a cobbler ...

shockabuku

Jan 18, 2012, 2:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
try contacting paradox sports ... they help people with certain challenges

they may know of a cobbler ...

What he said. I think Evolve made Craig's shoe... http://www.climbing.com/...than_able/index.html

mtngonzo

Jan 18, 2012, 3:49 AM
Post #8 of 9 (5910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing is a small world. Mal and the Paradox sports gang have been awesome in helping me adjust, indeed probably stopped me from loosing the rest of my feet from attempting to "play" to early after the amputations. Right now I'm a bit more normal then many of the rest of the Paradox mob, so no luck yet, with shoe ideas.

WRT to high top shoes it is looking like that is where I'll have to go. The good news is if I can get them at REI and they don't work out then at least I should be able to bring them back.

sharonz911

Aug 23, 2012, 8:49 AM
Post #9 of 9 (5036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtngonzo wrote:
climbing is a small world. Mal and the Paradox sports gang have been awesome in helping me adjust, indeed probably stopped me from loosing the rest of my feet from attempting to "play" to early after the amputations. Right now I'm a bit more normal then many of the rest of the Paradox mob, so no luck yet, with shoe ideas.

WRT to high top shoes it is looking like that is where I'll have to go. The good news is if I can get them at REI and they don't work out then at least I should be able to bring them back.

SmileSmile

(This post was edited by sharonz911 on Aug 23, 2012, 8:53 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook