Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

caughtinside

Aug 30, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #26 of 42 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
I don't get why outbacks are so popular. Bad mileage for a small vehicle, dead ugly, cramped inside, and slow.

It's the compromise. It's the small car crowd that wants to ski or camp.

If you look at how many wagons are out there with either clearance or awd, there aren't many options.

if you want one car that can do everything that isn't a SUV it's one of the better choices (out of very limited choices.)

ubu

Aug 30, 2012, 4:17 PM
Post #27 of 42 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
dynosore wrote:
I don't get why outbacks are so popular. Bad mileage for a small vehicle, dead ugly, cramped inside, and slow.

For my wife and I, the Outback was a compromise between the need for a "family car" (read: SUV or minivan) to haul around 2 small kids, and something with halfway decent mileage that is, thank god, neither an SUV nor minivan.

caughtinside

Aug 30, 2012, 4:31 PM
Post #28 of 42 (3188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
dynosore wrote:

For my wife and I, the Outback was a compromise between the need for a "family car" (read: SUV or minivan) to haul around 2 small kids, and something with halfway decent mileage that is, thank god, neither an SUV nor minivan.

Does it get better mpg than a minivan? I've been thinking about a minivan for my next ride. I can live without the awd, but low clearance is a concern for me.

saint_john

Aug 30, 2012, 5:12 PM
Post #29 of 42 (3171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aaronbchandler] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whichever one you get, be sure to add the obligatory roof rack and lots of stickers. Make sure that everyone knows you're outdoorsy.

ubu

Aug 30, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #30 of 42 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
ubu wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
dynosore wrote:

Does it get better mpg than a minivan? I've been thinking about a minivan for my next ride. I can live without the awd, but low clearance is a concern for me.

When new, our 2.5L non-turbo got around 28-30 mpg highway. Now at 85k miles it gives maybe 26 mpg. Not really great, but not horrible.

ubu

Aug 30, 2012, 7:33 PM
Post #31 of 42 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Whichever one you get, be sure to add the obligatory roof rack and lots of stickers. Make sure that everyone knows you're outdoorsy.

Rampant stickerization is pretty dumbass, but in the case of the Outback a roof rack is, in fact, obligatory. Literally. I believe you have to custom-order if you don't want one.

marc801

Aug 30, 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #32 of 42 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
saint_john wrote:

Rampant stickerization is pretty dumbass,...
And practically screams "There's an excellent chance of finding lots of valuable gear inside to help fund your meth habit when you dump it on ebay or Craigslist." Even better when the car is parked in a remote-ish location.

larwood91

Aug 31, 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #33 of 42 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:

I lol'd. I second the comment regarding ground clearance. While the 4x4 on my truck is nice to have when it's necessary(other applications), it's almost never needed for climbing access. However, ground clearance makes it pretty easy to go places I wouldn't be able to in a sedan or car. All depends on where you go and what you do, I'm still kind of in awe this thread has gotten as many responses it has.

marc801

Aug 31, 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #34 of 42 (3104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [larwood91] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

larwood91 wrote:
I'm still kind of in awe this thread has gotten as many responses it has.
I'm in awe that the OP asked specifically about FJ and Outback and people are saying buy a Prius or a Honda.

milesenoell

Aug 31, 2012, 5:35 AM
Post #35 of 42 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
ubu wrote:
saint_john wrote:

Rampant stickerization is pretty dumbass,...
And practically screams "There's an excellent chance of finding lots of valuable gear inside to help fund your meth habit when you dump it on ebay or Craigslist." Even better when the car is parked in a remote-ish location.

Yep. Me and two friends lost our gear at the very beginning of a month long road trip when my buddy's Outback got the window smashed in.

Avoid overnights at Nickle Creek in CA. The meth heads love that parking lot.

USnavy

Aug 31, 2012, 2:38 PM
Post #36 of 42 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I cast another vote for the Jetta TDI. If you remove the diesel particle filter and replace the ECU, it is possible to get over 330 ft/ lbs of torque. That will give you a 0-60 in the 6-7 second range. There is not a single car on the American market that can go that fast and provide 40+ MPG.

moose_droppings

Aug 31, 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #37 of 42 (3042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need to go fast, get a bathroom scale. Depending on what you weigh it can go from 0-200 in under 2 seconds.

To the OP, if your doing a lot of miles, then get the Subaru. If not and you do a lot of off road and trails, then get the Fj. We've had Subaru's for 35 years and loved them all. Some of the earlier models would slow down when you pushed in the cigarette lighter, but always got us where we wanted to go. Two years ago my wife went in to trade off the old Subbie for a new one and came home in a Toyota Highlander. I have since bought 3 more different Toyota models since I liked her's so much. The Fj is straight up one of the best stock off road vehicles you can buy and will last just as long as a Subbie.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Aug 31, 2012, 4:19 PM)

zonie

Aug 31, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #38 of 42 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't directly compare with the FJ, but I've had both a "real" 4WD (Izuzu Rodeo) and a Subaru. For me, the Subaru wins hands down: much better gas mileage (25MPG), much better handling (particularly for long drives), much quieter (less fatigue on long drives), and gets me to the trailheads - even on some pretty gnarly roads. My current Outback is at 125K miles. Running fine, with very little maintenance.

saint_john

Aug 31, 2012, 7:34 PM
Post #39 of 42 (3011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zonie] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zonie wrote:
I can't directly compare with the FJ, but I've had both a "real" 4WD (Izuzu Rodeo) and a Subaru. For me, the Subaru wins hands down: much better gas mileage (25MPG), much better handling (particularly for long drives), much quieter (less fatigue on long drives), and gets me to the trailheads - even on some pretty gnarly roads. My current Outback is at 125K miles. Running fine, with very little maintenance.

My GF has a '97 Outback. It's got 217,000 miles and everything still works; AC, power windows, power mirrors, everything.
My next car will be a Subaru.

marc801

Aug 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #40 of 42 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zonie] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zonie wrote:
... I've had both a "real" 4WD (Izuzu Rodeo)...
No you didn't.

marc801

Aug 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #41 of 42 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I cast another vote for the Jetta TDI. If you remove the diesel particle filter and replace the ECU, it is possible to get over 330 ft/ lbs of torque.
And risk snapping axles, stripping gears, and severely damaging other drive train components that were never designed for that much torque.

marc801

Sep 1, 2012, 1:02 AM
Post #42 of 42 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Toyota Fj or Subaru Outback [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
To the OP, if your doing a lot of miles, then get the Subaru. If not and you do a lot of off road and trails, then get the Fj. .... The Fj is straight up one of the best stock off road vehicles you can buy and will last just as long as a Subbie.
The OP already has an FJ - he's just trying to decide whether to keep it or trade it in for an Outback.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook