Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Shasta Caverns limestone?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pmonks

Sep 5, 2012, 12:37 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Shasta Caverns limestone?  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

G'day,

Has anyone checked out the limestone outcrops around the Shasta Caverns, just north of Redding? They don't look that hot from I5, but up close there are some interesting looking buttresses and walls - see the attached photo (taken from near the entrance to the caves). That buttress was about 500m away and looked to be about 2 pitches high.

I think it's BLM land too, so presumably access isn't a problem... ...apart from the ridiculous 800' slog up the scree from the lake to the decent rock. It might be possible to hitch a ride on one of the caverns tour buses? Worst case you might be able to slog up the road, which would also be brutal, but not as bad as dealing with the ridiculously steep, poison oak infested scree.

Anyway, it's not Ceuse, but limestone is a rare enough rock type that it looked like it'd offer some fun diversions if the access could be sorted out. There's a lot of exposed rock too, so maybe there are some hidden walls that are steeper than the buttresses and walls I saw.

Cheers,
Peter

(This post was edited by pmonks on Sep 5, 2012, 12:42 AM)
Attachments: Cliffs above Shasta Caverns.jpg (145 KB)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook