Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #38401 of 45342 (3875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Re:Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I bet my friday was more interesting than anyone else's friday here.

Doubt it

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Sep 17, 2012, 12:54 AM)

Gmburns2000

Sep 17, 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #38402 of 45342 (3869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Re:Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #38403 of 45342 (3867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my best PTs yet

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 1:17 AM
Post #38404 of 45342 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.

I'll call it a tie... You win in the "Fucked up" Interesting category, mine wins the "Awesome" kind of Interesting

Gmburns2000

Sep 17, 2012, 1:27 AM
Post #38405 of 45342 (3857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.

I'll call it a tie... You win in the "Fucked up" Interesting category, mine wins the "Awesome" kind of Interesting

yours is better on the plus side, except when you consider the guy wanted to shoot me because I didn't understand what he saying.

sungam

Sep 17, 2012, 9:43 AM
Post #38406 of 45342 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.
Welp. Full story?

Gmburns2000

Sep 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #38407 of 45342 (3841 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Re:Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.
Welp. Full story?

gf was picking me up at my place friday night. all houses here are like prisons with 10-foot walls all around them. we pulled out of the yard, closed the door, and noticed a guy walking behind the car. he kept going and we continued on, except she noticed in her rearview mirror that he had turned around and started back toward my place. we drove around the block to see what he was doing.

when we came back, he was gone. we figured he had jumped the wall. there were two girls inside the building still, so we opened the gate and drove in. as soon as we opened the car doors, two guys came from around the corner, one with a gun, and stole the car (about 10 minute's time). it wasn't as quick as that, as they were shouting a lot and trying to get me to do something and my gf was trying to calm them down telling them i didn't understand. once they saw that i responded to english, they calmed down a bit and drove off. first time i've ever had a gun pointed at me. wasn't as scared as i was really, really fucking angry. nothing we could do. when it comes to a gun, it's quicker.

in brasil, they shoot and ask questions later because often times someone else also has a gun, so they usually don't wait to use it. we were lucky.

buggers ran off with the truck (nothing inside) and my bag, which had clothes for the next day, my mp3, and prescription sunglasses. pissed off about the latter as I used them every day here. good thing is that the shirt in my bag was one i bought from terrie, and it had the "yer gonna die!" print on the front. imagine the dude's face when he sees that. also, they probably live around here, so i'm sure i'll see that shirt, which'll likely be the only one in south america, let alone curitiba, brazil. although there's a dude in my portuguese class who lived in my hometown for 10 years, and the population of that town is 5000 people, so one never knows, I guess.

we went to the police. they took the info down. they had 150 inmates that night in a cell that could hold 40. None of the inmates could sit down let alone lie down. they were trying to cut the bars while we were there. how many cops were there? three. the cop told us that after we and another party who had their house stolen at gunpoint (all electronics, filing cabinets, good furniture, jewlery, etc.) leave they were calling their version of SWAT to keep the peace. another dude that night has his truck stolen, and in the back of the truck were two motorcycles. he also had 1500 in cash. no insurance. all three incidents at gun point, and were weren't the only ones there.

first hand now how violent this place is.

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 3:32 PM
Post #38408 of 45342 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Note to self: remember to pack a gun if I ever go to brazil.

Glad you're ok though, hope you find the dudes

donald949

Sep 17, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #38409 of 45342 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Drove 800km today to make the ferry to Newfoundland... Not happening
Due to high winds in the Cabot straight, our departure has been postponed to 11:30am tomorrow

This means we need to find a campsite in 60km/h winds and rain
Crappy weather ftl?

That was nothing... today it's hurricane Leslie giving us a lashing. Had 80km/h winds yesterday and have gotten 2 inches of rain in the last 12 hours

I love hurricanes on vacation. they're swell

knuck knuck
BAhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*groans*

edge

Sep 17, 2012, 4:08 PM
Post #38410 of 45342 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Greg, you should have had them read your blog, then taken the gun when they fell asleep....

JK, I'm glad you were not injured.

Signed, Edge; stumping against blogs since 2008.

edge

Sep 17, 2012, 4:12 PM
Post #38411 of 45342 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Re:Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dina, where in Newfy were those pics taken?

And here's a challenge for you: find a garden salad on the island. It can be done, but is the equivalent of 5.12c PG. are you tired of fried food everything yet?

donald949

Sep 17, 2012, 4:13 PM
Post #38412 of 45342 (3824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Hitting up Longstack tomorrow evening for one more FA and to look for the long dong piton/cleaning tool I dropped last time in the dark. Hopefully I can find it in the jumble of debris we dislodged; I've had it for 30+ years and I feel like I've lost an old friend...Frown

I've heard hammers and wall tools are the kinds of things one gets attached to easily.

Tis true...

Mine looks like the one on top with the notched end.
[image]http://www.gearexpress.biz/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/longdong.gif[/image]

not that it makes a difference to your situation, but don't hammers have the ability to clean, too? (i.e. - they're like real hammers)

Not sure I'm following you here. When I (rarely) bring a hammer, yes, the pick end can be used to clean cracks, set bashies, and pry out pins/etc. My long dong is my preferred nut cleaning tool, and I can also garden cracks with it or drop it behind a flake as passive pro. In a pinch, decades ago, I even drove it like a piton with a big hex.

I really hope I can find it.

got it.

sent a message to the universe for you. fingers are crossed.

It appears that the universe has responded, and it looks like my dear old long dong is buried under a foot of debris.

It took me 51 years on the planet to arrive at a point where I can type that last sentence with a straight face.
And I read it straight up, untill th elast sentence...

donald949

Sep 17, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #38413 of 45342 (3816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

donald949

Sep 17, 2012, 4:24 PM
Post #38414 of 45342 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.
Welp. Full story?

gf was picking me up at my place friday night. all houses here are like prisons with 10-foot walls all around them. we pulled out of the yard, closed the door, and noticed a guy walking behind the car. he kept going and we continued on, except she noticed in her rearview mirror that he had turned around and started back toward my place. we drove around the block to see what he was doing.

when we came back, he was gone. we figured he had jumped the wall. there were two girls inside the building still, so we opened the gate and drove in. as soon as we opened the car doors, two guys came from around the corner, one with a gun, and stole the car (about 10 minute's time). it wasn't as quick as that, as they were shouting a lot and trying to get me to do something and my gf was trying to calm them down telling them i didn't understand. once they saw that i responded to english, they calmed down a bit and drove off. first time i've ever had a gun pointed at me. wasn't as scared as i was really, really fucking angry. nothing we could do. when it comes to a gun, it's quicker.

in brasil, they shoot and ask questions later because often times someone else also has a gun, so they usually don't wait to use it. we were lucky.

buggers ran off with the truck (nothing inside) and my bag, which had clothes for the next day, my mp3, and prescription sunglasses. pissed off about the latter as I used them every day here. good thing is that the shirt in my bag was one i bought from terrie, and it had the "yer gonna die!" print on the front. imagine the dude's face when he sees that. also, they probably live around here, so i'm sure i'll see that shirt, which'll likely be the only one in south america, let alone curitiba, brazil. although there's a dude in my portuguese class who lived in my hometown for 10 years, and the population of that town is 5000 people, so one never knows, I guess.

we went to the police. they took the info down. they had 150 inmates that night in a cell that could hold 40. None of the inmates could sit down let alone lie down. they were trying to cut the bars while we were there. how many cops were there? three. the cop told us that after we and another party who had their house stolen at gunpoint (all electronics, filing cabinets, good furniture, jewlery, etc.) leave they were calling their version of SWAT to keep the peace. another dude that night has his truck stolen, and in the back of the truck were two motorcycles. he also had 1500 in cash. no insurance. all three incidents at gun point, and were weren't the only ones there.

Well, that is shit for sure.
Sorry to hear about the run in, glad your OK, otherthan shaken up.

erisspirit

Sep 17, 2012, 5:14 PM
Post #38415 of 45342 (3808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Re:Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
nice pics.

we got car jacked.

you lose.
Welp. Full story?

Well, that is shit for sure.
Sorry to hear about the run in, glad your OK, otherthan shaken up.

geez that sucks

glad no one was hurt

erisspirit

Sep 17, 2012, 5:17 PM
Post #38416 of 45342 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Re:Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heading back up the the sierras thurs night...

the BF is taking his dad up the mountaineers route of Whitney (his dad has always wanted to do that route, so this is a birthday present to him). His dad's friend and I are tagging along. They have been training really hard so I hope it goes well for them. It will be my third time up the route, so I'm just excited to get out some get some fresh air.

donald949

Sep 17, 2012, 5:31 PM
Post #38417 of 45342 (3803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:

the BF is taking his dad up the mountaineers route of Whitney (his dad has always wanted to do that route, so this is a birthday present to him). His dad's friend and I are tagging along. They have been training really hard so I hope it goes well for them. It will be my third time up the route, so I'm just excited to get out some get some fresh air.
very nice.

donald949

Sep 17, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #38418 of 45342 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had an interesting trip out to CO.
Saw some amazing places. No climbing but some sightseeing.
Got out and about in the Ouray and Silverton Areas. Did a quick hike in Ouray, didn't really scout the Ice Park too much, but looked pretty cool set up. Lots of old mines and back roads around to explore.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison is dang impressive. Steep, deep, and narrow. A climbing guidebook at the visitor center was thick with a ton of routes. Word is the rock can be choosy. Quote of the NPS website "Becoming benighted because you underestimated the route is no reason for rescue"
Most of the canyon is only accessable from the top, and must be climbed up and out. There is a road down to the upper part of the river, going to the diversion dam. It is steep, hello 1st gear, but really cool once you get down there.
Took the scenic route back to Grand Junction. Looking at the map, I added up the miles and came 3 hours. Not giving much time for sight seeing, but doable. Getting along, the milage sign says 111 to GJ. I was wanting to be there in about an hour to give myself time to spare. So I fly up the 141. Very cool sandstone valley, no pics were taken at 70mph...Crazy
Made it on time, but with really no margin, good thing its a tiny airport.

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 9:12 PM
Post #38419 of 45342 (3786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

And here's a challenge for you: find a garden salad on the island. It can be done, but is the equivalent of 5.12c PG. are you tired of fried food everything yet?

Read my blog and you can find out :p

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 9:14 PM
Post #38420 of 45342 (3785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:

It's pretty much 90% pictures and 10% explaining the pictures

Kartessa

Sep 17, 2012, 9:17 PM
Post #38421 of 45342 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:

It's pretty much 90% pictures and 10% explaining the pictures

As for the food thing, we've been cooking most of our own meals, but eating out is major gut-rot, artery-clogging and heartburn-inducing... Our ferry back to Nova Scotia is tonite. We're just killing time, departs at 11:30pm local.
I think I'll pick up some subway for dinner, no Walmart to cook in the parking lot

Gmburns2000

Sep 18, 2012, 1:38 PM
Post #38422 of 45342 (3767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

that wouldn't have helped. in fact, the thought of people having guns makes it worse. that's why these guys usually shoot first. talking with lots of other people, we were luckier than we initially thought.

Gmburns2000

Sep 18, 2012, 1:45 PM
Post #38423 of 45342 (3766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Had an interesting trip out to CO.
Saw some amazing places. No climbing but some sightseeing.
Got out and about in the Ouray and Silverton Areas. Did a quick hike in Ouray, didn't really scout the Ice Park too much, but looked pretty cool set up. Lots of old mines and back roads around to explore.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison is dang impressive. Steep, deep, and narrow. A climbing guidebook at the visitor center was thick with a ton of routes. Word is the rock can be choosy. Quote of the NPS website "Becoming benighted because you underestimated the route is no reason for rescue"
Most of the canyon is only accessable from the top, and must be climbed up and out. There is a road down to the upper part of the river, going to the diversion dam. It is steep, hello 1st gear, but really cool once you get down there.
Took the scenic route back to Grand Junction. Looking at the map, I added up the miles and came 3 hours. Not giving much time for sight seeing, but doable. Getting along, the milage sign says 111 to GJ. I was wanting to be there in about an hour to give myself time to spare. So I fly up the 141. Very cool sandstone valley, no pics were taken at 70mph...Crazy
Made it on time, but with really no margin, good thing its a tiny airport.

still haven't been to the black. jealous.

Gmburns2000

Sep 18, 2012, 1:57 PM
Post #38424 of 45342 (3765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:

sweet. have fun with that. is this the same route arean guides people up?

erisspirit

Sep 18, 2012, 3:38 PM
Post #38425 of 45342 (3760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:

sweet. have fun with that. is this the same route arean guides people up?

Yup I think so :)

Sadly I don't think he's up there next weekend...

used my dehydrator to make some dried spaghetti sauce and dried chili for chili mac... I'm curious how it will turn out when rehydrated. I've done spaghetti sauce before but not chili.

First page Previous page 1 ... 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook