Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Onlyoriginal

Sep 26, 2012, 9:17 AM
Post #1 of 11 (6657 views)
Shortcut

What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know all these different forms of protection but what is the difference between all of them?

theextremist04

Sep 26, 2012, 1:40 PM
Post #2 of 11 (6616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Onlyoriginal] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Onlyoriginal wrote:
I know all these different forms of protection but what is the difference between all of them?
TCUs and Aliens are SLCDs, which are spring loaded camming devices (the catch-all name for cams.) TCUs are 3-lobed cams made by Metolius (though some people use this as a name for other 3-lobed cams), and Aliens are a specific brand made by CCH, known for being especially good in placements where some other brands aren't.

granite_grrl

Sep 26, 2012, 1:44 PM
Post #3 of 11 (6613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Onlyoriginal] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Onlyoriginal wrote:

SLCD = Spring Loaded Caming Device. It refers to all cams (including TCUs and Aliens) that we use as climbers, but we usually don't refer to them as such.

TCU = Three Cam Unit. This is a cam that has three lobes instead of the traditional 4. While I suposse any brand cam with three lobes could technically be called a TCU, people are usually refering to the brand Metolious and their three cam units when talking TCUs.

Aliens = simply a brand of cams. Originally made by CCH, now made by Fixe. Other examples are Camalots made by black Diamond and Master Cams made by Metolious.

dagibbs

Sep 29, 2012, 6:47 PM
Post #4 of 11 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Onlyoriginal wrote:

SLCD = Spring Loaded Caming Device. It refers to all cams (including TCUs and Aliens) that we use as climbers, but we usually don't refer to them as such.

Not all cams are SLCDs -- Tricams, for example, are non-spring-loaded camming devices.

Marylandclimber

Sep 29, 2012, 7:57 PM
Post #5 of 11 (6494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There tricams though... I don't think they should be called a "cam" because they can be used passively just fine and simply are tricams. They can use a camming motion but I woulnd't say, "Hey hand me 3 cams" meaning tricams.

dagibbs

Sep 29, 2012, 8:42 PM
Post #6 of 11 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
There tricams though... I don't think they should be called a "cam" because they can be used passively just fine and simply are tricams. They can use a camming motion but I woulnd't say, "Hey hand me 3 cams" meaning tricams.

Camalots can be placed passively just fine, too, as I understand it.

But, yeah, I guess "cam" is usually used primarily for SLCDs.

marc801

Sep 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #7 of 11 (6462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:

Even hexes have a camming mode. SLCD refers to camming devices with moving parts - it doesn't matter if they can also be placed passively. To whine that all cams are not SLCDs because tricams aren't is belabored semantic nit-picking.

moose_droppings

Sep 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #8 of 11 (6454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is also a "Splitter cam" that appears to have one cam lobe on each side, but each one of those split in two so you have four moving lobes.

dagibbs

Sep 30, 2012, 3:28 AM
Post #9 of 11 (6431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Even hexes have a camming mode. SLCD refers to camming devices with moving parts - it doesn't matter if they can also be placed passively. To whine that all cams are not SLCDs because tricams aren't is belabored semantic nit-picking.

Isn't belabored semantic nit-picking what the internet, and in particular, rc.com is for?

As for hexes vs tricams -- I find that I almost always place a tricam in a cammed placement (so think of them as cams), I have yet to make a hex placement that is cammed (and I do carry and place hexes).

climbingtrash

Sep 30, 2012, 7:07 PM
Post #10 of 11 (6367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:

Oh teh ironing.

olderic

Oct 1, 2012, 1:45 AM
Post #11 of 11 (6325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] What is the difference between a TCU, SLCD, and Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Most informed reply so far. Research "active" v. "passive". Research Choiunard catalogs from the 70's.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook