Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
Quick Bouldering Question
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

 


ChillBroBaggins


Oct 28, 2012, 9:54 PM
Post #1 of 13 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 18, 2012
Posts: 7

Quick Bouldering Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First main post, I don't know if this should go under Noob Questions or not, but thought it would be pretty suitable for here.

How can I climb with more legs on overhangs?

I don't know if there is a trick to this or not, but I can't last on overhangs because my arms always get too tired. I can climb like 15 overhang routes in a day-session, but then I'm wiped. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just continue to build muscle?


doogievlg


Oct 28, 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3077 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2011
Posts: 19

Re: [ChillBroBaggins] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are your legs swinging out alot? Work out your core to help keep your feet on the rock and it will help you use your feet a lot more.


ChillBroBaggins


Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 18, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [doogievlg] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not really, they just feel like they're not a big help when it comes to staying on the wall. You know? I can definitely feel it in my core the next day if I'm doing overhangs, so I'll probably do some core workouts. Thanks for the reply!


saint_john


Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [ChillBroBaggins] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ChillBroBaggins wrote:
First main post, I don't know if this should go under Noob Questions or not, but thought it would be pretty suitable for here.

How can I climb with more legs on overhangs?

I don't know if there is a trick to this or not, but I can't last on overhangs because my arms always get too tired. I can climb like 15 overhang routes in a day-session, but then I'm wiped. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just continue to build muscle?

"ChillBroBaggins"
Nice dude.


ChillBroBaggins


Oct 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 18, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [saint_john] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Haha, I got all excited that I was getting more helpful hints, but whatever. Wink Thanks man!


shockabuku


Oct 29, 2012, 7:33 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2959 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [ChillBroBaggins] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"How can I climb with more legs...?"

That question just begs a smart-ass answer.

But, since I've used up my smartassness tonight - in general, keep your hips higher/closer to the wall which forces more weight onto your feet. As you noticed it's mostly core strength that does this.


ChillBroBaggins


Oct 30, 2012, 7:50 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 18, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [shockabuku] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, what I meant was how can I rely on my legs more, like positioning, angles, which footholds I should choose, etc. But yeah, I understand what you mean. Wink So higher hips should help? Thanks!


granite_grrl


Oct 30, 2012, 8:46 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2905 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14702

Re: [ChillBroBaggins] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There's a technique to climbing steeper rock (or in your case, plastic). Yes, you need to "keep your hips closer to the wall", but how?

Climbing overhangs efficiently involves a lot of twisting and turning your body. You keep your hips in by doing things like backteps and dropknees. I do a lot of rotating with my shoulders. Foot positioning is key.

The specific techniques that I'm talking about are probably confusing too. Best to have someone in real life help you out and watch other climbers. Also, get a copy of the Self Coached Climber which will explain some of these techniques for you.


ChillBroBaggins


Oct 30, 2012, 9:55 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2890 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 18, 2012
Posts: 7

Re: [granite_grrl] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Awesome! I will start asking around at my local gym for pointers, I don't really mind asking people for help, so that'll be a good way to get some knowledge. I haven't recently done a whole lot of watching the technique of other climbers, because when I'm at the gym I want to be on the wall a lot! I'll take some time when I go next to really "study" what they're doing. Thanks for the reply! It was really helpful.


brooklynclimber


Oct 31, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2012
Posts: 94

Re: [ChillBroBaggins] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a bit of a novice as well. The Self Coached Climber has been a big help, as has watching other climbers both in person and online. What is perhaps the most striking thing I've learned is that good climbers are slow and deliberate in the way they place their hands and their feet.


csproul


Nov 6, 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [brooklynclimber] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

brooklynclimber wrote:
I'm a bit of a novice as well. The Self Coached Climber has been a big help, as has watching other climbers both in person and online. What is perhaps the most striking thing I've learned is that good climbers are slow and deliberate in the way they place their hands and their feet.
Well, you have half of that right. Deliberate, yes. Slow...not necessarily.


brooklynclimber


Nov 8, 2012, 5:08 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2012
Posts: 94

Re: [csproul] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
brooklynclimber wrote:
I'm a bit of a novice as well. The Self Coached Climber has been a big help, as has watching other climbers both in person and online. What is perhaps the most striking thing I've learned is that good climbers are slow and deliberate in the way they place their hands and their feet.
Well, you have half of that right. Deliberate, yes. Slow...not necessarily.
Perhaps unhurried is a better word


kennoyce


Nov 8, 2012, 7:43 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2001
Posts: 1302

Re: [brooklynclimber] Quick Bouldering Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

brooklynclimber wrote:
csproul wrote:
brooklynclimber wrote:
I'm a bit of a novice as well. The Self Coached Climber has been a big help, as has watching other climbers both in person and online. What is perhaps the most striking thing I've learned is that good climbers are slow and deliberate in the way they place their hands and their feet.
Well, you have half of that right. Deliberate, yes. Slow...not necessarily.
Perhaps unhurried is a better word

Nope, still not a better word. If you're chasing the pump you want to hurry as much as possible while still being deliberate.


Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook