Forums: Climbing Information: General:
getting pumped too quickly and too painfully.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

RomanG1

Dec 24, 2012, 4:13 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4196 views)
Shortcut

getting pumped too quickly and too painfully.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started seriously climbing for about 3 months. 2-3 times a week in the gym. I rest, eat and get enough sleep.

In the gym, I toprope (5.8 - 5.9) and boulder (V2).

Lets see if I can describe this.

In short: my RIGHT forearm gets pumped way too quickly immediately when I start climbing with pain going thru my forearm and muscles in the forearm get extremely tight and stay that way. When it pumps out it swells and muscle tightness doesnt go away, it stays hard.

I used to get pumped on toprope routes way towards the end of the route on more difficult lines. Now my right forearm gives out almost right away on the first route. I mean I struggle mid way up 5.6 in the gym, my forearm gets hard and tight with pain when i grip, where before i zipped up 5.8s.

I decided to take a month long break. I am thinking this is tendon issue (carpal tunnel?)

I tried stretching and warming up before climbing and climbing easy routes and bouldering V0s and V1s as a warm up. Not much help.

The forearm gets super tight and hard with pain striking when i grip a hold (regardless of the grip - open hand, or closed hand) and it gets pumped, numb and impossible to control. The pain location is hard to describe and cant pinpoint, but i would say from wrist to elbow, being mostly in the forearm.

I can boulder (pain is manageable) but when it comes to toprope, lead, when I grip for longer periods of time, pain is there and cant do anything.

I wonder if anyone knows what it might be ( after a month long break, if it doesn't improve, i will go for an xray) or anyone knows what it could be.

Thanks all

Roman

(This post was edited by RomanG1 on Dec 24, 2012, 4:15 PM)

caughtinside

Dec 24, 2012, 4:29 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RomanG1] getting pumped too quickly and too painfully. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

could just be a flash pump from not warming up... or it could be more serious.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...edhealth/PMH0002204/

shimanilami

Dec 24, 2012, 7:16 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Go see a doctor.

Partner cracklover

Dec 24, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] getting pumped too quickly and too painfully. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
could just be a flash pump from not warming up... or it could be more serious.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...edhealth/PMH0002204/

That's the first thing I thought of, too. But I'm not a doctor, and whatever is causing this, the OP needs to go see one to get a proper diagnosis.

GO

RomanG1

Dec 27, 2012, 9:03 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] getting pumped too quickly and too painfully. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys,

spiderman5

Jan 18, 2013, 4:11 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hope you have gone to see a dr. A family friend had similar symptoms when he lifted weights. It turned out to be some serious thing with blood not draining from the muscle sheath or something like that

RomanG1

Jan 18, 2013, 2:33 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spiderman5] getting pumped too quickly and too painfully. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys.

Well I took a 3 week break or so from climbing. Went back to the gym a few days ago to start easy.

Well, I bouldered and toproped. The pain was gone. I didnt push my self too hard, so i would start easy, but the main issue i was having is gone. My forearm and hands dont hurt from what felt like tendons and pulleys.

however,

towards the end, I tried leading a 5.7+ and got pumped pretty fast, and the tightness came back, NOT AS BAD as it was before, but was still there. What bothered me the most, is the inability to control grip or even move my fingers. it just felt NUMB as a rock. I couldnt open my hand or close it. and needless to say....i took a whipper. It seems I only get the forearm stiffness/pump when toproping or leading. Bouldering is fine.

Perhaps it was just an overdose of climbing too much on my tendons and pulleys.

I wont climb more than once a week for now. and will go see a doctor about the tightness of the forearm.

im just happy the pain in forearms is gone....for now anyway.

Roman

(This post was edited by RomanG1 on Jan 18, 2013, 2:36 PM)

brian_h

Jan 19, 2013, 4:44 AM
Post #8 of 8 (3525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was about to say I've never lost feeling from getting pumped (and I haven't, not from climbing), but there are times, when I'm doing yardwork or other work with my hands for a while, when small patches or strips of skin on my fingers go numb but doesn't affect motor control. Typically the outside of my pinky & ring fingers. It's probably something related to carpal tunnel but it's never been anything worse than a mild nuisance. But it sounds like your case is a bit more serious and might warrant a trip to a doc. If you've suffered that significant of a tendon injury, you're in for much more than a month of recovery...

(This post was edited by brian_h on Jan 19, 2013, 4:47 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook