Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
el rito
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrtropy

Jan 11, 2003, 5:34 PM
Post #1 of 2 (862 views)
Shortcut

el rito  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does anyone have any info on elrito besides the trad guide and rock and ice 84. I am having trouble fiding any ifomation on this area. Thanks Jeff

escale

Feb 1, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #2 of 2 (862 views)
Shortcut

El Rito, New Mexico sport area guide in PDF format. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hate to see an inquiry go unanswered, I know this is a little late, but I just joined the rc.com site and am just beginning to cruise through all the queries concerning NM. El Rito is a great place.

El Rito, north of Espanola, NM has seen a lot of traffic in recent summer months and could become a environmental access issue with the federal land management people. The issue is not the bolts on the faces of the walls, but the access trails everyone uses.

Several people have proposed a new access trail because the old trail, forged through by tons of climbers looking for the easy way, has caused erosion problems. Brian Pletta with the NMCrag dot Org are working with Access club members and the Forest Department and have come up with a new trail plan.

Guide to the access concerns and the trail redesign:

http://www.nmcrag.org/El%20Rito%20Trail%20Design%203_1_03.pdf

Other problems are: no bathroom facilities near by, potential for people to build bonfires in a high or medium-high fire risk areaa, boom boxes disrupting the natural solitude, dog fights because of the lack of restraints and assorted litter in an around the campsites. This is a small area with only 60 routes between 40 to 70 feet high. It sees about 20 people a day in the summer months on the weekends.

But for those with some respect and restraint here is an up to date guide in PDF format written by Gary Clark. Go to this web site and click on the button “Routes” at the top of the webpage and download the pdf file.

http://naclassics.com/elrito/sport.htm

---Escale
I edited this as the name of the button now has a lable "Routes". -E

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook