Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Homestead vs Jacks Canyon in Sept?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climb2core

Jun 20, 2013, 1:57 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Homestead vs Jacks Canyon in Sept?  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Central: Homestead)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I cut my teeth and learned how to climb in central Az back in the early 90's but left around 98. Coming back for a visit in Sept. Jacks was around before I left and I made a couple of trips out there, but the Homestead didn't exist yet.

So, I know it is still damn hot in Sept but... I remember many 5 am jaunts out to Queen Creek to beat the heat and I am curious about the Homestead. Is it worth it to stick around and not head up north?

Thanks,

ian

roadstead

Jun 20, 2013, 3:59 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb2core] Homestead vs Jacks Canyon in Sept? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb2core wrote:
I cut my teeth and learned how to climb in central Az back in the early 90's but left around 98. Coming back for a visit in Sept. Jacks was around before I left and I made a couple of trips out there, but the Homestead didn't exist yet.

So, I know it is still damn hot in Sept but... I remember many 5 am jaunts out to Queen Creek to beat the heat and I am curious about the Homestead. Is it worth it to stick around and not head up north?

Thanks,

ian

The Homestead did indeed exist in 98 but was unknown. Shade will be the answer for climbing of course. Rough Rider stays in shade and now sports over 20 routes. Bone Town shade all day the rest of the walls come into shade around 1 or 2. I have made a road trip in late Oct. and it was still too hot to climb in the sun. Tufa City was out till late in the day and if your climbing at the Homestead you can't miss Tufa City!

sonso45

Jun 24, 2013, 1:50 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roadstead] Homestead vs Jacks Canyon in Sept? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Ian, stay up north instead of Homestead. Way too hot unless you're stuck here. Go north.

Since 98 a few cooler crags have opened up. Are you only interested in sport climbs?

jbone

Jun 24, 2013, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roadstead] Homestead vs Jacks Canyon in Sept? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roadstead wrote:
The Homestead did indeed exist in 98 but was unknown.

You'll know it when you see it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook