RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

nathanpond

Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM
Post #1 of 5 (7221 views)
Shortcut

How much weight will 3/4" plywood hold?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys! Consider me pretty much an absolute newbie to the sport. My wife, daughter, and I have taken a few classes at our local gym and climbed there on occasion, but I don't really know anything beyond how to belay and very basic techniques.

That said, I'm looking to build a small wall in the basement as a Christmas present for the kids. It would be nice if I could use it as well though, maybe just to practice holds and work on endurance. Problem is, I'm a big guy at about 280lbs. From what I can tell people recommend using 3/4" plywood and t-nuts spaced about every 8 inches. Will that type of setup support my weight? I'd have a vertical section, a section at the top with 45 degree angles, a completely horizontal section on the ceiling, and probably a section at something closer to a 60 degrees.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated on making this strong enough to support my weight, if that's even possible.

Thanks!

kennoyce

Oct 21, 2014, 1:25 PM
Post #2 of 5 (7164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nathanpond] How much weight will 3/4" plywood hold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nathanpond wrote:
Hey guys! Consider me pretty much an absolute newbie to the sport. My wife, daughter, and I have taken a few classes at our local gym and climbed there on occasion, but I don't really know anything beyond how to belay and very basic techniques.

That said, I'm looking to build a small wall in the basement as a Christmas present for the kids. It would be nice if I could use it as well though, maybe just to practice holds and work on endurance. Problem is, I'm a big guy at about 280lbs. From what I can tell people recommend using 3/4" plywood and t-nuts spaced about every 8 inches. Will that type of setup support my weight? I'd have a vertical section, a section at the top with 45 degree angles, a completely horizontal section on the ceiling, and probably a section at something closer to a 60 degrees.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated on making this strong enough to support my weight, if that's even possible.

Thanks!

3/4 plywood will be just fine, it's what has been used for many years even in comercial gyms, so it's plenty strong. Just make sure that the support structure behind it is strong enough as well. I have always used 2x6's placed 24" on center , but if you're worried you could use 2x6's at 16" on center, or even bump it up to 2x8's. Have fun with your new wall!

nathanpond

Oct 22, 2014, 1:27 PM
Post #3 of 5 (7044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] How much weight will 3/4" plywood hold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
3/4 plywood will be just fine, it's what has been used for many years even in comercial gyms, so it's plenty strong. Just make sure that the support structure behind it is strong enough as well. I have always used 2x6's placed 24" on center , but if you're worried you could use 2x6's at 16" on center, or even bump it up to 2x8's. Have fun with your new wall!

Thanks so much for the info and reassurance. I'm definitely doing 16" space for the structure, and will use either 2x6 or 2x8.

Is there a good resource somewhere that talks about the different holds and how strong each type is?

kennoyce

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM
Post #4 of 5 (7025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nathanpond] How much weight will 3/4" plywood hold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"nathanpond wrote:
Is there a good resource somewhere that talks about the different holds and how strong each type is?

No, any commercial climbing hold you buy will be plenty strong by itself to hold your entire weight plus a lot more. That doesn't mean that over time it won't get cracked and eventually break with use, but that's just what happens with holds. I think you're worrying way to much about all of this, just build your wall and enjoy.

nathanpond

Oct 23, 2014, 2:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] How much weight will 3/4" plywood hold? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
No, any commercial climbing hold you buy will be plenty strong by itself to hold your entire weight plus a lot more. That doesn't mean that over time it won't get cracked and eventually break with use, but that's just what happens with holds. I think you're worrying way to much about all of this, just build your wall and enjoy.

Great, thanks so much! I really appreciate the insight and will post pictures when I get it all finished!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook