Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Thailand climbing advice
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bolder

Jan 16, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #1 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Thailand climbing advice  (Europe: England: Peak_District: Stanage_Edge__OS_: Stanage)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going to Thailand this Spring. I have three days to spend at either Railey beach or Koh Tao. I am going for the Rock climbing and the Scuba diving. Does anyone have reasons for choosing one over the other? I am also going to climb in Chaing Mai and maybe Northen Vietnam if anyone has beta for these areas, besides what is on this site, I would appreciate it.

Partner coldclimb

Jan 16, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Thailand climbing advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know myself, but I believe it was Danyelle that I talked to in chat who has a friend who lives and climbs in Thailand all winter. Might try PMing her

betterthinkfast

Jan 16, 2003, 7:47 AM
Post #3 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have more specific questions PM or aim me... but here's my opinion.

Railey is better for climbing
Ko Tao is better for scuba
but god damn... in spring.. its going to be really REALLY RREEEEAALLLLYY HOT, so I'd opt for better scuba?

Chang Mai is a great town but the climbing is not that developed (two years ago) which I like but depends on your taste, last I was there, the guy who runs the gym (forget name), was offering rooms to climbers. He also can set you up with guides and plenty of local beta. I prefered Chang Mai, but definetly a more primitive experience. If you like to clip bolts, I think you'll probably prefer south.

Hope you enjoy your trip

bolder

Jan 16, 2003, 4:31 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Chris. I know that it will be damn hot but it works for me to head there at that time. Maybe I will just focus more on the diving and enjoy the bouldering of Koh Tao.

superd

Jan 16, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

railay vs. koh tao...it really depends what you are into. i really loved railay because of the relaxed atmosphere. full of fantastic climbs...right on the beach and lots of climbers. it was heaven. if you are really into scuba diving, koh tao is the place to go. look up simon foley's website. he has tons of info on climbing in railay and the rest of thailand.

as for chiang mai, i spent 2 weeks there, and did a ton of climbing. i spent alot of time with the group developing the area, and it is really worthwhile going if you are in the area anyways. check out thailandclimbing.com. josh and kat are incredibly helpful and knowlegable about the area since they are developing it.

for both places, do check out the temps...it could be really hot. have fun...wish i was there!

benkiessel

Jan 16, 2003, 5:13 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was in Railey in 2000 and it was hot but still very climbable. just get up early before it gets super hot.

jdmorris

Jan 18, 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #7 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No matter where you are in Thailand, March, April and May are the hottest months. You will need to chase shade no matter where you are.

As to Chiang Mai, there has been a lot of development in the last two years. There are now about 70 sport routes, all very well bolted. The climbing is really good up here.

If you will be in the area in april, you can check out the Thai new year (Songkran Festival) which sees its most elaborate celebration in Chiang Mai. It really is an amazing place to see the Thai new year.

I would be happy to help answer any other questions you have about the area. Do check our website http://www.thailandclimbing.com for photos of the climbing in Chiang Mai.

As to climbing in Rai Lay vs Koh Tao, I haven't been to Koh Tao, but I know you can dive in Rai Lay as well. It is hot in April, but you're going to be in Thailand, so it can't be that bad. Just chase the shade.

Hope to see you in Chiang Mai.

Cheers,

Josh

bkboyd

Mar 3, 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #8 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Railay diving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was diving there a month ago. I went on the full-day dive boat, which is supposed to have much better diving than close in. Fish were good, and there is a cool wreck. Viz was murky, though, and locals told me that the conditions were relatively good. Overall, sea kayaking made a much better (and cheaper) rest day activity.

michael crowder
Deleted

Mar 5, 2003, 7:21 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

thailand and the pigs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

while it is plentiful if you get popped with that spliff in thailand you will go to jail and stay until they get enough money to let you go.
michael

bvoborsky

Mar 7, 2003, 5:00 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just in thailand for a couple of months. I would spend more time near krabi, don't stay on railey, stay on tan-sai, best place to stay, also try ao nang tower, really fun multi=pitch climb. The scuba diving is good and there are dive shops on tan-sai. Ko Tao is really nice, more expensive than Railey but better diving, no sports climbing though just bouldering. There are three routes on Ko PhanGan, where they have the full moon party. I think they are called joint time, magic mushroom, and I forget the other. In Chaing-Mai there are about 70+ estbalished routes now. Go to The Peak climbing wall for all the info, it's the only artifical wall in chaing mai and it's located in the night market, so if your the shit try to keep up with the thai guys at night while everyone in the fifty or so open air bars watch. If you make up into Loas there is some okay climbing near Vang-vien but there hasn't been much developed.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook