Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
you only need an anchor if your top roping?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

kimballm7

Jan 27, 2003, 12:56 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1708 views)
Shortcut

you only need an anchor if your top roping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

please don't criticize me if i 'barney style' this.

bouldering is soloing under 20' or so?

soloing is no gear, really high?

top roping is setting an anchor and rapelling down so you can climb back up with out setting passive pro?

trad climbing is soloing with a partner and setting using then removing passive pro?

did i miss anything?

yes/no

-matt

stevematthys

Jan 27, 2003, 1:11 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1708 views)
Shortcut

you only need an anchor if your top roping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering:short and powerfull sequence of moves which make up a route on a boulder.

Top Rope:a climb that has the rope anchors preset at the top of the climb. In general this requires shorter falls than a "lead". You gave a good description of top rope.

Soloing:Climbing by alone with a rope and protection using self belay methods.

Free Soloing:Climbing alone without a rope or protection. If you fall, there aint nothin to catch you.

Traditional Climbing (Trad):Climbing that emphasizes longer routes and removable protection. Leader places protection as he climbs. At the end of a pitch leader builds belay station, the second will remove the pieces of protection as he climbs up to the leader's belay.

[ This Message was edited by: stevematthys on 2003-01-26 17:13 ]

kimballm7

Jan 27, 2003, 1:23 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks, that was very helpful. so there is a safe way to solo climb.

about the trad... say you have two people climbing. the leader and follower aren't climbing at the same time?

they would both start at the ground and the leader takes off setting his pro. then he stops stations himself to belay the follower until the follower catches up? once the follower catches up he/she sets up a belay for the leader and the leader continues on?

if that is correct.
how does each climber belay the other it's not the same way as top roping is it?

-matt

apollodorus

Jan 27, 2003, 1:34 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

High-balling is bouldering up so high, it qualifies as free-soloing. What you call it (other than unassisted near-suicide) is arbitrary.

stevematthys

Jan 27, 2003, 1:41 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes there is a safe way to solo, but I do not solo climb, so I will not be able give you much info on it. talk to pass the piton pete, he does a lot of soloing.

no, the leader and the second do not climb at the same time. it is called simul climbing when the leader and second climb at the same time. in trad, the leader will climb up establish an anchor (very similar to a top tope anchor) and belay the second from that. when the second reaches the anchor then the second will sit at it and belay the leader as he climbs up to establish another anchor higher up.

the second will belay the leader on a "lead belay" which is a little different then a top rope belay.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook