RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

dymondbak37

Jan 27, 2003, 3:48 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

New way/weird way to rappell
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i guess a litle cabin fever set in and i was tinkering with my gear recently, practicing...oh theres no point in hiding it, i was rappelling from my 7 foot ceiling and i either came up with or stumbled across and weird way to tie into a rappel

i tied the rope right to my harness(was using biners between rope and harness but found out, thats not good) and ran the rope up and thru a punching bag hook screwed into a beam and down to me. i hooked up my fig 8 to this end and got a little higher and rappelled. now did this already exist or what? it was really easy to hold since the hook acted like a pully. but it went kinda slow =/ just wonderin if i should share this.

stevematthys

Jan 27, 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

New way/weird way to rappell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont really understand your set up. are you tied into one end of the rope, your rope goes through the anchor and then back down to you and into a rappel device, so that only one end of the rope is through the rappel device? or am i totally missing what your saying?

orangekyak

Jan 27, 2003, 3:59 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it sounds like you're just lowering off. this is not as good as normal rapping for a few reasons.

first, normal rapping let's you see how far your ropes extend down the crag.

second, it allows you to join two ropes without worrying if the knot will get stuck in anything while you lower.

third, your method puts wear and tear on the hardware you lower through. On sport climbs this shortens the life of the fixed gear. On trad climbs, most rap rings are made of relatively soft metal that won't withstand much of this abuse.

fourth, you cannot do your method around a tree, or through a textile sling. it is too damaging to rope, tree, and or sling to make it safe or responsible.

if you're not just lowering off, i apologize.

o.k.

apollodorus

Jan 27, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't EVEN rap that way! It's like a lower-off, and only works for the first person down the rope (unless they pull the end back up).

Climbing ropes get dirty. Hey, we're dirty sorta people, what with rock and what. The small amount of dirt that gets into your climbing rope will do this:

"Ancient Egyptians would quarry stone by impregnating a fiber rope with hard rock crystals, so that as they were pulled across the stone, it would cut like a saw."

And you're thinking of using your rope the same way, through rap rings (or even worse, slings)????

Rap.

If you're going to lower off, use your own biners, so you can throw them away when they get grooves in them (not a joke. They get that way).

dymondbak37

Jan 27, 2003, 4:48 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no way would i try that thru a tree/sling not that stupid no i was thinking thru a biner on an anchor, unless thats still gonna cause problems?

Partner coldclimb

Jan 27, 2003, 5:05 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm getting the setup right, you'll only be able to lower half your rope length. I wouldn't do that.

nadroj

Jan 27, 2003, 8:14 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stick with the standard rap. It is quicker, easier and requires less gear, that may have to be left behind.
Remember K.I.S.S.
If you want to play around with lowering use a pully (if you can get back to the top to retrive it) it will save your rope.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook