RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

hedgehawg

Feb 15, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Whats up with my ring fingers?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, everyone I have talked to says my middle and ring fingers are supposed to be the strongest. The problem is that I slightly pulled my left ring finger a few months ago and last night, I really screwed up my right ring finger in the gym. It is bad enough that I can hardly make a fist and couldnt tie my shoe laces this morning. What two fingers do you use? This really sucks that I am out for a while. I know rest is the best remedy for recovery, but anything else I should do along with that? Ice, heat, epsom salts, homeopathic remedies, acupuncture, oriental massage, faith healers? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

climbthedj

Feb 16, 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Whats up with my ring fingers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am having issues with my ring fingers too, although not to the extent that you are. I rested mine and I use tape when I get back on the rock (I should, at least). I would use the well practiced application of heat and ice and rest, of course. If your fingers still hurt bad after a week or so, you should go to the Doc's. Hope it doesn't get to that, though.

cheers

xanx

Feb 16, 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah if it hurts for more than a few days, stop listening to people online who have never seen you or your injury and GO SEE A REAL DOCTOR!

they will prolly take X-rays and stuff, tell you what is wrong, what you should/should not do, and how long you have to rest it.

you should really concentrate on resting it and resist the urge to climb - even though you may just be " climbing light" or whatever, the point is that climbing, even if not at your max, is very stressful on the fingers. climbing on an injured finger probably will excaccerbate (sp??) the problem and could very easily lead to permanent problems and pain.

good luck.
btw i just got a compression fracture of my right hand (boxer's fracture) so i'm out for a few weeks

mike

wyomingclimber

Feb 16, 2003, 2:09 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The theory is that the ring finger takes an enormous amount of stress because it gets no protection from the pinky.

It sort of depends on what you did to it (you didn't describe the problem), but you're probably suffering from a partially ruptured ring pulley. Did you hear a pop?

If this is the case, your best bet is:

Ice and ibuprophen right after the injury to keep swelling to a minimum.

Splint it for 8-10 days. Alternate heat and ice a few times a day to increase blood flow.

After you take the splint off, start working it a bit (ie opening and closing your fist, wiggling your fingers.)

After about three weeks, if it's feeling better, start climbing on easy jugs.

I'm just getting over my third ruptured pulley. A serious pain...

mountaingoat8

Feb 16, 2003, 3:02 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's a pulley and how do you rupture it?

reborne

Feb 16, 2003, 3:16 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your at ASU go see the trianer if a doctor is too much hassel being as your in school ... i had this problem for a while when i started and found i was pulling harder with my ring fingers because they were the strongest and thus injuring those tendons .... tape is only good when your injured cause using it when your not can/will weaken your tendons ..... as for ice/heat i find ice till i cant take it then right into warm almost hot water for about the same amount of time i had it in the cold then right back in cold repeat for at least a half hour a day, this will get blood to the tendons and speed healing process works for me but agian talk to a doctor or trianer at your school......

good luck

jt512

Feb 16, 2003, 3:54 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Injuries & Accidents forum by jt512[/small]

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook