RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

Feb 24, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Ouch, My Hip Hurts!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, so I'm pretty flexible but I was doing this 5.11 stem route in the gym last night and I think I over did it because now my hip is hurting so bad! It hurt once last week, and I'm pretty sure it's joint related. Does anyone have any good stretches to recommend, or have this problem? Why does stuff only hurt later on and not at the time you are actually causing yourself injury? What is the solution other than a ton of motrin. I can't even lay down on my left side.

I feel like I'm an old lady with a bad hip! :cry: I'm anticipating an old age full of arthritis.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 24, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Ouch, My Hip Hurts! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:twisted: You know what I think?

Josh

the_elk

Feb 24, 2003, 9:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually have a hip problem myself. Unfortunately I haven't come across any stretches which have really helped me. I usually find that when I try and pull certain moves my hip will click or pop, and while it doesn't really hurt a whole lot when it happens I do know that it aches later.

The only real solution I have is avoiding the types of moves I know will hurt my hip. Sometimes I have to skip climbs all together. Certain climbs where I need to bridge and twist are just not even an option, no matter how easy.

Cheers
Em

wachy

Feb 24, 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate stem routes! last time I did one, my knee started hurting about 20 minutes AFTER I FINISHED :shock: and kept getting worse... it was ridiculous.

I actually have a hip stretch that's pretty good. to get the basic idea, sit in a chair. Put your left foot flat on the ground and put your right ankle on top of your left thigh, but close to your left knee (not too high on your thigh. Then push down gently on your right knee and lean forward. You can get a different stretch if you lean forward right of forward left.

Amazingly, this also works for the opposite hip!

If you're out and about, you don't need a chair. You can do it standing, but you should have something to hold onto in front of you like a rock or tree or something.

ozgirl

Feb 25, 2003, 9:59 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Try arnica [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a herbal muscle rub ointment called arnica, you can get it in gel or paste formula, and it is just the best thing for sore bumps and bruises and strains and things. I got a serious ankle injury when falling from a down-climb, and the arnica helped so much. Give it a go. :D

aimeerose

Feb 25, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should always stretch before doing stem routes too. If it's your hip flexors, you need to do a stretch where you lunge, but keep your front thigh in line with your trunk. Push your hip forward and you should feel a stretch in the front of your hip. If it's really bad, consider seeing a physical therapist. They can give you great stretches and strengthening exercises, so you can climb stem routes if you want to. They can also find out what the problem is exactly, instead of all of us just guessing. :lol:

Good luck.

climbjs

Feb 26, 2003, 12:19 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga.

tonithegreat

Apr 3, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an old hip injury (my horse fell on me when I was I kid) that acts up sometimes. I find that different lunge-type and split-type stretches and the old butterfly stretch help a lot. Some days I shirk on stretching my upper body before climbing, but I never omit the hip stretches before climbing.

This is an old post, though, so hopefully you've allready found a solution to your hip pain!

Toni

wonderwoman

Apr 3, 2003, 8:24 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, the hip is better! I have been taking all this advice, including going to the doctor and getting some weird anti-inflamation drugs that helped a whole bunch. doing yoga, stretching, and staying away from stem routes! stem routes still hurt too much so I avoid them altogether until I am completely un-achey. I feel like I am always achey.

overlord

Apr 11, 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my hip also hurts sometimes. i found out that it helps if i stretch the ouside tendons. and stretch your whole body regulary.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook