RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

daryl314

Feb 28, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Fluid in finger joints
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Whenever my climbing partner does crimpy stuff, she winds up with fluid around her joints, and her fingers swell up. I've noticed that her fingers hyperextend more than most people when she crimps (an angle like \_ ). Does anyone have suggestions of how to deal with this pain? Or ways to strengthen crimp strength without causing further injury?

Thanks,
Daryl

surforclimb

Feb 28, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Fluid in finger joints [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if her fingers are swelling after crimping, then don't crimp. You should be able to find routes without crimpy holds on them. you can also work open hand hangboard. Open hand will strenthin you arms and hands faster and better then crimps. You can also try to tape the joints light enough so they still move but enough to keep the swelling down.

collegekid

Feb 28, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

open hand, open hand, open hand.

I don't know what's causing the large crimping angle (maybe loose tendons?) or what is causing the fluid (damage to tendons/ligaments?) but getting stronger with an open hand grip couldn't hurt. How hard of climbs were these? I'm just wondering how much strain was actually being put on her fingers.

miker

Feb 28, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well my knuckles are not a happy place either. I see some cartilige buildup at the first knuckle and I am constantly cracking my knuckles.
Would improving my open hand stength help with that? I am quite strong on the thin little edges, while slopers are still my enemy...but I keep working it.
What I am really asking is what do people recommend in terms of stretching and specific types of strengthening moves to improve knuckle happiness??
I have tried glucosamine chondroitin, but I got one bad batch of the stuff that made my knuckles actually swell so I am leery of the supplements now..
Thanks for your time

miker

daryl314

Feb 28, 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We're talking gym routes in the 5.10 to 5.12- range.

aimeerose

Mar 13, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

She has hyperlaxity in her joints (very common for females). She probably can hyperextend her elbows and knees and is just generally very flexable. It's very important for her not to stretch those joints. She has too much mobility. The only way I know of to decrease mobility is to stregthen. Maybe if she works easier crimp moves until she builds up the tendons in her fingers a little more. Just avoid whatever is causing the inflammation. Maybe use some putty to streghten the tendons and muscles in her forearms.

The fluid is inflammation and when this occurs she should reduce it with ice and anti-inflammatories.

jt512

Mar 13, 2003, 5:25 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got to second the suggestion not to crimp. Learn to climb open-handed.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook