RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

extremist4life

Mar 3, 2003, 7:29 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Seperated shoulder
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently seperated my shoulder (2nd degree), and I was just wondering if anyone else has done this, and how long did it take to climb again? The docs and physical therapists said at least 3 months. I go back this week to see if I need surgery (then it will be even longer :( ).
Thanks for the input.

jbrd528

Mar 3, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Seperated shoulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seperated both of my shoulders. The most recent and most severe one took about a month before I gained all of my motion back and it was about 6 weeks before I climbed on it.

If you dislocated it then you probable also ripped some ligaments and tendions as well and that will take alot longer to heal.

My advice would be to wait untill you have gained all mobility back in your shoulder and then wait about 2 weeks before you start to climb again. Better safe than sorry. I did this and do not experiance any effects from the injury.

I hope you will be able to climb soon.

ptone

Mar 15, 2003, 3:04 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

shoulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I separated my left shoulder getting hit by a maniacal beginning skiier out of control on ski skates :evil: :evil: :evil: and lost a month climbing--physio is a pain, but essential to recovery. When I went back to climbing I worked alot of close handed traverses, and no steep boulder problems!!! (I have alot of trouble limiting myself, uggh) Be really careful not to weight your arm when it is behind parallel with your shoulderline at first (only do problems where your hands (or at least the injured one) stay in front.) I'm now leading again, and repping easy routes to get strength and stamina back. Still scared to go too steep, but its coming...

a blessing on your imminent return and perfect recovery :D
-p

jay_climbingchick

Mar 15, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

I know how you feel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just dislocated my shoulder about a mouth ago. I had to have surgery and I heard that it also would take three mounts. I also have a friend that did the same thing and I took him around three mounts. Good lock with your shoulder I hope I was some help.

onelung

Mar 15, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Separated mine many moons ago on a sweet south swell. Since then it has popped out once more surfing (in the washing machine) , one sailing, and once climbing. The first two times it took a pro (Dr) to repair now I seem able to twist my arm and have it go back.
Surgery may keep it from being as loose as mine, but now it doesn't bother me too much, couple days of being sore. After the first time I was tender for a month but still stayed pretty active (Not climbing)
Place Your hands on the computer screen AND BE Healed!
DO You believe? Can I get a witness?!

Climb On,
Bill

rockpossum

Mar 16, 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know how old you are but if you want some sage advice, take a solid year to get back to "normal" after a major injury. Yes I too would laugh at this kind of advice a few years ago and you name the sports injury or orthopedic surgery and I've probably had it.

I'm not suggesting that you lie in bed for 12 months but simply plan to recover for 12. If your Doc says 3 months he's just taking into account normal healing and physio, I'm suggesting that, since you have the rest of your life ahead of you, you ease back into becoming aggressive again letting everything heal, stretch and strengthen. Take a zen approach.

You're average Doc, even enlightened ones, can't understand what a motivated mono-maniac can do with his/her still damaged body or even begin to understand that same persons pain tolerance.

I know this is probably fruitless but hopefully you'll thank me when you're 60.

The oft injured,

Mike

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook