RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

moabbeth

Mar 5, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Attraction to your partner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need some other women's thoughts on this....

If you're out at the crag and realize you're becoming attracted to your climbing partner, does it hurt or help your climbing? I climbed with someone new this weekend and much to my suprise I found myself really attracted to him...and I climbed like crap!! My focus just wasn't what it usually was, and I guess I probably was psyching myself out to want to climb hard and show him what I got, when instead the opposite ended up happening.

How about the rest of you? I'd never really had this happen with a partner before, it kinda caught me off guard.

cliffraven

Mar 5, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Attraction to your partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i find that when there is an attraction to a partner or anyone in any eye view that i am attracted to it helps my climbing. I find that I climb harder. I don't know why that is, but I seem to find myself making wicked moves and harder climbs...works for me! bring on the hotties!

haha :D

you must be super shy...guess you just need a girl climbing partner so you're not distracted! now my problem is finding a climbing date...now that's hard!

e

rckclimbergurl

Mar 5, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm in "the zone," I find that I climb harder when there's someone there that could do with some impressing! But if I don't have the self motivation to crank hard, I look like shit, and I hate it when that happens, cuz they think that you suck. Meh, I know I'm not the best out there, but I'm not the worst either!

8)

indigo_nite

Mar 6, 2003, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the last time I climbed with a stranger I was attracted to, it somewhat hindered my climbing. he was also climbing really higher ratings than I had ever tried so I felt a bit of pressure and it affected even the climbs I could normally do.

I climb better when I'm only trying to impress myself. like work out something I really want or get on a lead I've been really itching for. it might be an introvert/extrovert thing?

maybe as you get more used to climbing with your hottie partner, you'll get back into your climbing flow. not a bad combo... :D

filledelalpinisme

Mar 6, 2003, 3:12 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whenever there are hot guys in view, I definitely climb crappier... most of the time. I feel like I have to impress them, and if I'm not climbing at least a 10, I feel kinda stupid. At my gym there are some really intense climbers and sometimes I just feel so intimidated... and often this hinders my climbing, so that I feel wierd traversing an easy route, or sometimes I just loaf around because I'm embarrassed.

Before, when I had just started (3 mos. ago), it was different because I didn't really have any expectations for myself, ya know? But now I come to the gym kinda often and am starting to get to know peeps. and i feel like by now, i should be at a higher level than i am.

Also, I just started working at the climbing gym, and I've only been climbing for like 3 mos. and so I don't know as much about gym stuff as a lot of the other people. Guys are cool about it, but sometimes, I just feel kinda stupid (esp. around the hot hippy guys). Ugh. anyone else go through this?

Well, just got back from the gym and had to rant. :)

enigma

Mar 6, 2003, 7:55 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Re: Attraction to your partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I need some other women's thoughts on this....

If you're out at the crag and realize you're becoming attracted to your climbing partner, does it hurt or help your climbing? I climbed with someone new this weekend and much to my suprise I found myself really attracted to him...and I climbed like crap!! My focus just wasn't what it usually was, and I guess I probably was psyching myself out to want to climb hard and show him what I got, when instead the opposite ended up happening.

How about the rest of you? I'd never really had this happen with a partner before, it kinda caught me off guard.

Distracting for me too, ?? :lol: :lol: ,Hey once I climbing with this guy I was attracted to and I almost forgot to put both pieces into my atc, on rappel.

However, after a while you might get used to him and you'll focus more on climbing,not what you want to do later, :P

ecocliffchick

Mar 6, 2003, 3:14 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find the exact opposite. I climb my best when there are other people around. I guess when I'm out just with my partner sometimes I'll just give up, but when there are other people looking at me (or I perceive are looking at me) I feel the need to keep going, to not give up and to work even harder as a female to show that we are capable climbers. Hopefully I'll have the motivation this year to do this regardless of who else is around.

mother_sheep

Apr 3, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had this one go both ways for me. I've climbed before with someone that I was totally attracted to and I climbed horribly. I was too worried about what he was thinking and not focussing enough on the climb. On the other hand I'm climbing now with someone that I like on several different levels. He motivates me in a big way. With him, I find that I climb better. He pushes me and that is what I need in a partner. I know as long as I'm giving it my best effort, I don't have to worry about what he's thinking because that is what we both want, even if I look like a clod while trying.

iris

Apr 4, 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I felt very attracted to a very high level climber last year. The result: I climbed a lot more and improved my climbing level. I was really happy about it. Unfortunately he left the region again :cry:. Still I do my best to keep the level up :wink: .

climbingbetty22

Apr 7, 2003, 8:16 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've definitely exprienced an adverse effect on my climbing in a pathetic attempt to impress a guy I was attracted too. After that, I just climb for me and I don't let anyone get in the way of that. I worked at a gym for awhile and the guys that I hung out with all climbed so much harder than I did; I felt so pathetic and embarassed I'm almost stopped climbing. Since then I don't let anyone intimidate me...if I don't have fun climbing with someone, I just don't climb with them anymore.
I'm lucky though. I don't climb with any attractive male climbers. :wink:

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook