RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

da5id

Mar 6, 2003, 2:03 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Any way to get a cheap fingerboard?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbin for about a year and my finger and arm strength has really improved, but i cant always get to the gym every week, though i try. I've been thinkin about gettin some sort of fingerboard or something just to mess around with if i cant get to the gym, and to bring to college to make sure i don't lose my strength there. Problem is, i have very little money, and any excess money i do have is being spent on backpacking stuff for a trip to Jasper National Park (can't wait!). What are some ideas for affordable fingerboards, or should I just wait till i have more money and buy an expensive one?

weaselman

Mar 6, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Any way to get a cheap fingerboard? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

im not sure that a fingerboard is the most effective/best way to get stronger, but it worked for me. at http://www.synrock.comthey have a 72 dollar hangboard system, or you could order the 3 parts seperately, for only 30 dollars!!! if you were to order only one, i would go with the center board. i wish you luck

da5id

Mar 6, 2003, 6:50 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks man, good call

funktimonious

Mar 6, 2003, 6:53 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Metoilus rock rings are good, plus you don't have to dril into your dorm wall at college.

shivers86

Mar 6, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Build your own out of plywood and two-by-fours. You can make fine crimpers out of wood. For Slopers you might want to buy a couple holds and mount it on a piece of plywood.

overlord

Mar 10, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do-it-yourself

neomagi

Mar 10, 2003, 5:20 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

wood and a little creativity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don t know what type of resources you have to a woodworking area, but here is my suggestion.

Find a couple of pieces of 2x12, 2 - 3 feet each and glue and screw them together. Let this harden. This will give you a piece of wood that is 3 feet wide, 11 inches high and 3 inches deep. If you want deeper you can add a third piece, which would make it 4.5 inches deep.

Once you have your solid piece of wood, you will need to find a drill and a router, a file, rasp, and sand paper. I would start out by drilling holes for finger pockets, of varying depths. Then take the router and make some pinches and wider finger pockets. If you can t find a router you can try using a drill and be extra creative. Then take the rasp/file and make your slopers and round some of your edges. I would finish up using some rough sandpaper.

If you want inspiration for what to make it look like, check out some of the plastic manufactures.

A word on artificial holds. I have read and believe that wood holds are better for training in a lot of instances than plastic. It is easier on the finger tips, and pretty friendly on the tendons. So good contract strength. The reason we don t see more wood in commercial gyms, is because they can not be made a production speed.

Hope that helps. Total cost maybe $15, or find all the scraps at a construction job site.

janiszewski11

Mar 29, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy some 2X6's and break out the dremmel tool!

xanx

Mar 29, 2003, 6:34 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah but wood probably won't build callouses too great, so when you meet nice Mr. Quarz crystal... ouch...

and yes your contact strength will proably get much better if 1) the wood doesn't break when u are shaping it and 2) you can actually hang from the holds you make (good luck hanging from straight wood pinches right away!). because of the texture, plastic lets you vary the texture more and lets you use worse holds (slopers and such) so you can practice and get used to hanging from really terrible stuff (even if the texture is better than wood). plus there is the difficulty in carving the holds/symetry... (of course, i am exceptionally unskilled with my hands...)

but good luck. yeah making one is the cheapest way to go.

otherain

Mar 29, 2003, 12:17 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use the trim around your doors at home, or if your lucky like i was find an event sponcered by a company and get it for REALLY CHEAP $12!!!!!

moeman

Mar 29, 2003, 12:37 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wealselman- great call on the synrock, but buy one of the side boards- they're better becuase they have great crimpy holds going up the side to campus one.

no_limit

Mar 29, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make your own

DUUUUHHHHHHH :D :D :D

lemurboy

Mar 29, 2003, 3:39 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had an Idea, If you just cut up old broken hockey sticks to make rungs to hang from, like a campus board, then place them on a wall or overhand to make sort of a ladder.

Make sure u sand them down well, you dont want to get splinters! Ouch!

keinangst

Apr 8, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 days ago, I picked up an 8' piece of 2"x2" white pine for under $2 at Lowe's. Using a miter box, I cut it into 20" sections and screwed them into the studs using 3" wood screws.

Total cost = $4, plus about 15 minutes of work. It's a great supplement to standard pullups, although nothing compares to the real thing. Definitely won't build callouses, but it will help a lot with finger/hand strength and endurance.

More advanced folks could use varying sizes of wood (similar to the door frame idea--but without the paint). There are also huge stockpiles of pre-sanded, odd-shaped wood accoutrements at your local home store that you could work with to simulate slopers, crimpers, etc.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook