RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

maxx

Jan 2, 2002, 1:08 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Shoes Sticking
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you think, do climbing shoes stick better in the cold or in the heat and why?

blimpdriver

Jan 2, 2002, 4:18 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Shoes Sticking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When its hot out. I'm down in Joshua Tree. I was talking with a guy once about this and he explained it. Something about the rubber and molecules and stuff.

jcs

Jan 2, 2002, 4:42 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry blimp- gotta disagree with you here. not sure about the details of the science behind it- but MINE definately seem to stick better when its cold out. when its hot the rubber seems to get too soft or something. but now that i think about it, when ever ive climbed in the heat, it has also been humid- so it might be the humidity that is causing the lack of friction, not just the heat. i'm pretty sure that lighting the bottom of your climbing shoes on fire just before you climb doesnt help(ive never actually tried it though...). so- this doesnt answer your question, but hope it helps.
JCS

paintinhaler

Jan 2, 2002, 5:08 AM
Post #4 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found that my shoes (five ten) stick best around 50'F. Im not sure about the science on it, but I forget how to spell science.

dontneedfeet

Jan 2, 2002, 7:48 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colder is definetly better... I've read a couple of places around 30 degrees is the ideal temperature for shoes. I've got to agree.

compclimber

Jan 2, 2002, 8:00 AM
Post #6 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On a related note: Five Ten says that steath rubber is most sticky between 30 and 40 degrees fahranhiet (sp)

I have to agree, I have done most of my really hard projects in cold weather, with the temp right around 35-37 degrees. Your shoes just seem to stick much better at that temp. Plus its cold, so you use way less chalk and can keep moving.

traddad

Jan 2, 2002, 2:05 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, Five Ten rubber is designed to work better in the cold. Fat lot of good that does us Arizona Climbers. This is REALLY a pain in the ass! So much so that I collared a Five Ten rep at the last PBC and whined to him about this problem for 20 minutes.
A shoe designed for hot weather would be the ticket. Along with rubber designed to work at higher temps, make the rands gray rather than black and the uppers white to keep them from getting so bleeding hot!!!! I was climbing in White Tanks last summer and got two HUGE blisters on my heels purely from the heat absorbed by the heel rands. Of course it was 110 degrees out....If Five Ten can make a shoe specially for climbing in Patagonia (the Ascent with the built in gaiter they had out a while back) then we demand equal time!!! E-mail Five Ten.... Write your congressman!

Traddad the hot

vaness

Jan 3, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #8 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think they stick so much better when its hot... when its cold it seems like the rubber gets smooth and slips off the rock..but when its hot it like gets more rubbery and i have no idea what im talking about. but yeah it really does seem to stick better in the cold.
vanessa

lschlack

Jan 4, 2002, 2:48 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems to me that the rubber on the shoes is definately stiffer and just as sticky when cooler outside.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook