RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

wonderwoman

May 8, 2003, 2:10 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Dogs and ropes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like dogs a lot... but not when they jump all over my brand new rope!!!

We went climbing in Rumney, NH on Saturday with brand new quickdraws and ropes and all the new goodies that we bought eachother for Christmas and were just waiting to break open and use.

So there we were, all psyched up to try out our new stuff when these climbers set up next to us and their dogs stomped all over my friends new rope! The THIRD or FOURTH time their muddy dogs trampled all over it they finally decided to put one of them on a leash away from the climbers.

This amazed me.... First of all, I have never seen dogs at Rumney. I thought they weren't allowed. Second, I could understand this behavior coming from some hiker who knows nothing about ropes and the safety risks associated with some dog grinding dirt into the core. But the fact that these climbers were allowing their dogs, as sweet as they were, to jump all over peoples ropes and equipment was just irresponsible.

If you climb with your dog, please bring a leash! I think dogs are great animals, but they do need to be kept under control in climbing areas.

mother_sheep

May 8, 2003, 2:38 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dogs and ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just one more example of people not exercising common sense. How annoying.

In reply to:
If you climb with your dog, please bring a leash! I think dogs are great animals, but they do need to be kept under control in climbing areas.

Well said WW.

acrophobic

May 8, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i remember climbing in Heart in Canmore a year ago... a group of french climbers brought a ROTT with them... i first saw it as i was walking up the trail and it was dragging around a 10 foot long slim tree trunk with his mouth.. i just froze for a second... i couldn't imagine what someone who was afraid of dogs would do.

It was hyper, kept running around and going after my lunch when i ate. annoyed the hell out of me... would run under you when belaying, stepping on the rope. :evil:

mhr2000

May 8, 2003, 3:46 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There has been many, many, many, many threads about this issue.

Please keep the smelly, in the way, annoying, hyper, dirty, loud rodents at home! I enjoy pets as much as the next guy, but isn't there enough to worry about without having to deal with a pets needs?

I guess the best thing about people bringing their pets is they attract all the ticks so they won't be getting on me then.

astone

May 8, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a real shame about your new squeeky clean gear getting all dirty. A real shame...

paulv7

May 8, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tell the dog if they step on your rope again they owe you a beer.

bandycoot

May 8, 2003, 5:48 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is what your foot is for. If a dog is annoying you, tell the owner. If a dog is getting your ROPE OF ALL THINGS dirty, KICK IT! :?

biff

May 8, 2003, 5:55 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember that dog too .. it jumped up on me, and wanted to take my lunch.

atg200

May 8, 2003, 5:55 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is really really silly to get worked up over some dirt on your rope. the only people who bother washing their ropes or any nonsense like that are brand new climbers with brand new ropes. in the Real World tm, dirtbags with filthy ropes are taking big whips and jugging miles of fixed lines, and no one is getting the chop. relax.

dillon_g

May 8, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the beer solution was the best not kicking the dog if you do that the owner and the dog will probably let you know that doesn't fly well

neomagi

May 8, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i try to wash my rope every so often, i just forget a lot :lol:

i don t mind the dogs walking on my rope, a little frustrating, trying to eat my lunch, not like they really want granola anyways, but when they start pissing on my leg...

wonderwoman

May 8, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used the same rope for about 6 yrs and never washed it. I don't know if that's stupid or not, but there is no wear or tare and it's still in good shape.... and I'll still use it.

One of the dogs in question actually marked his territory right by my new rope, and then two other dogs came over and peed on the same spot. If the dog had let go on my rope, I might have kicked the owner!

I am not a new climber and realize that my equipment is going to get dirty, just like I'm going to get dirty, banged up and bruised everytime I go climbing. But that does not give someone license to allow their dog to trample all over my stuff. I still say leash 'em up.

mwbtle

May 8, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leashed dogs are fine. I see where you are coming from WW. I know several people who bring their dogs to the crags, and leash them to trees nearby. They don't trample anything, and are generally well behaved.

I'm actually surprised though, how many people think their dogs are angels and won't run amok.
We keep our dogs on leashes constantly...so that only we have to deal with their craziness...

neomagi

May 8, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blame the owner of the dog, not the dog... if you are set on kicking something, don t kick the dog, kick the human.

*flashes to scene of the future-> fighting matches break out all over at crags... lines to do routes... * doh!!! too late...

rockprodigy

May 8, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I don't understand why anyone would bring a dog to a busy crag, but if they want to, that's their gig. But it sure as $hit better not get on my stuff. All of you defending this behavior are really incosiderate. You should go to your room and think about what you've done.

bluelip

May 9, 2003, 4:41 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kicking the dog...yeah that works. I would love for someone to try to kick my dog...I'll be returning your foot, and half your leg to you :twisted:

If the dog was kept under control, it wouldn't have needed a kick in the backside. I'm positive that most people wouldn't shoe away a dog that didn't need it.

veilneb

May 9, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used the same rope for about 6 yrs and never washed it. I don't know if that's stupid or not, but there is no wear or tare and it's still in good shape.... and I'll still use it.

Wonderwoman, manufacturers will tell you that even with rare use, a climbing rope should be retired after 3-4 years. The synthetic fibers that make up your rope degrade and weaken over time.

Maybe you could use it for toproping.

Just a thought.

wonderwoman

May 9, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks- I knew it was retirement time and I will only use that rope for TR from now on. I was trying to get as much use out of it as I could, but I am not as broke anymore so I am buying lots of new stuff. It still looked like it was in good shape, but a fall is not worth the risk!

Yes, I am a bit anal about caring for my climbing stuff. So I may throw a hissy when a dog tramples all over my new stuff. But when you work nonprofit it means NONPROFIT, and I happen to have to save up a lot to buy my climbing stuff.

petsfed

May 9, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Likewise, I'm going to keep any dogs (including my own) well away from my rope. About six months back, I was disposing of an old rope and my dog gets a hold of one of the 3 foot sections. 10 seconds later, the rope is in two pieces and he's happily extracting the core from the middle where he bit clean through. Needless to say, I've never taken him with me climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook