Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

fritzski

May 9, 2003, 9:54 PM
Post #1 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Tricams by Viamont???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wired tricams. I keep seeing these things on ebay for really cheap. Anybody had any experience with them? Are they any good?

xcit

May 9, 2003, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tricams by Viamont??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen them them on there to. Since they are wired I think that would defeat the whole concept of placing a tri cam in a horizontal crack. I did a search on Yahoo for them and came back with nothing.

Hmmm.........

Brandon J.

calpolyclimber

May 9, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #3 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They look pretty funky to me... They may be new in the sense of not used, but I doubt they were made any time recently...

davidji

May 9, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #4 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got a URL? I just did an Ebay search on tricams (also tricam, Viamont), and only got Camp Tricams. Curious to see these other ones.

Thanks,
David

dcclimb

May 9, 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #5 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was curious too.

I forgot to copy the link. On E-Bay just search for Viamont and check the search in titles and descriptions box. They will pop up.

I agree with CalPoly...it could just be i am biased by my CAMPs, but the look a bit funky.

stewbabby

May 9, 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #6 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3607576386&category=30107

davidji

May 9, 2003, 11:52 PM
Post #7 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I forgot to copy the link. On E-Bay just search for Viamont and check the search in titles and descriptions box. They will pop up.
Thanks. I guess I thought the title would have enough for my search, but it had "TRI-CAMS" instead of "tricams".

Interesting. I'm plenty happy with the Camp tricams I have, but being a gear-geek, I'd like to read reviews of these too.

fritzski

May 10, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #8 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They're "new" items and it seems whomever is selling them is doing it pretty much thru ebay and always keeping a full set for sale every day or so.

With the spring tension the wire would provide, they may act somewhat like half a cam - when inserted against the "opening" tension of the wire. My concern would be that same tension would cause them to be a bear to remove - always wanting to creep deeper into the crack if you pushed on the wire to loosen it.

neph

May 10, 2003, 6:11 AM
Post #9 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For $40, I am sort of tempted to buy these just for kicks... :D

If there are some up for auction when I get back from my trip, I'll buy them and post a review.

*edit*

one thing i just noticed is the smaller sizes have less range than normal tricams, but the bigger ones have a greater range

for camp tricams:
.5 - 16-28 mm
1 - 20-30 mm
1.5- 26-38 mm
2 - 29-41 mm
2.5- 32-48 mm
3 - 38-54 mm
3.5- 41-60 mm

for viamont tricams:
1 - 17-22 mm
2 - 20-26 mm
3 - 22-34 mm
4 - 30-45 mm
5 - 37-55 mm
6 - 40-65 mm

mriska

May 10, 2003, 6:29 AM
Post #10 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The pictures leads me to believe that they might be manufatured in the Czech republic by a company named Kouba. This is the same factory producing cams and nuts for Hudy (Rock Empire) and I believe the Pika cams and Climbers cams also are the same. I have two sets of Kouba nuts, and the older set looks exactly the same as those tricams with regards to the cables. same colors, the largest three (black, red and blue) have the swage separate from the little part that holds the wires together, and the color-coating of the wires also looks very much like my Kouba nuts. My nuts also have a printed label on the swage similar to what you can see on the pictures. All this leeads me to be fairly certain that they are made by Kouba

wlderdude

May 11, 2003, 3:20 AM
Post #11 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camp tricams still have a patent number on them, even though the patent expired many years ago!

I am am personal fan of slung hexes, so wired tricams to me sounds rediculous.

pelliott

May 11, 2003, 3:55 AM
Post #12 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They may have a similar range, but they aren't as strong. The smallest of the Viamont tricams can take only five kN. The smallest Camp can take ten. Here are the Camp strength ratings.

C.A.M.P Tricams
.5 Pink 10kN
1 Red 10kN
1.5 Brown 15kN
2 Purple 15kN
2.5 Blue 18kN
3 Black 18kN
3.5 White 22kN

The strongest Viamont tricam is only 15kN. I think I will stick with my Camps.

darkside

May 11, 2003, 5:07 AM
Post #13 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They look very similar to some tri-cams I saw some time ago that were made in the Czech republic. The Czechs make some nice gear albeit rudimentary and these e-bay tri-cams are ce certified so safety isn't a concern but I would check the weight. Similar Czech gear such as nuts and the tri-cams I saw were fairly heavy. I never used them though so I'm afraid I can't offer any info on performance.

pico23

May 12, 2003, 5:29 PM
Post #14 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a huge tricam fan and looked at these as an option. The drawbacks I see are that the sling makes the tricam good for horizontal flares. These would not seem to work well in a horizontal. on the other hand they might work atleast as well in a vertical. Kind of like Forged Friends and Flex Stems work better in different types of uses. Eitherway, tricams are cheap enough to buy, stronger and probably lighter and these don't seem to be an improvement so for my purposes so I skipped. $40 might not be much but it's a weekend road trip for me and I have plenty of barely used gear sitting in boxes that doesn't really do anything for me other then remind my wife of how frivilous I can be at times.

Does anyone know why no one makes a Tricam knockoff since there is no patent???

drkodos

May 12, 2003, 5:37 PM
Post #15 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There is no $$$$ to be made, that's why.

Overrated, underused, esoteric pieces of BS. And I say this as someone that learned to climb at the Gunks, home of the necessary tri-cams? Hardly. There isn't a tri-cam placement in the world that an Alien or small TCU won't also work.

Tri-cams were great back in the day before micro-camming units. Now there are just museum pieces. Sure, they work, but why bother?

Nothing like "hosing-the-second" with a few "well-placed" pink tricam placements at the crux....

maldaly

May 12, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #16 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dr. Kodos,

I'm astonished that, as a 30 trad climber, you haven't seen the light. TriCams are the lightest, stablest, most versatile piece of pro you can carry on your rack. They'll fit in to pods and holes and horizontals where nothing esle will go and save your ass. Use them in the camming mode for sure, but when you begin to groove on placing them passively, then the light will shine bright.

Never leave home without them....
Mal

hooker

May 12, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #17 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have over twenty of the little effers.....

I never use them anymore. There is ALWAYS a better placemnet with a more secure piece. They tend to be unstable. They can be difficult to clean, especially the pink and even more so if it has taken the full force of a leader fall.

I used to use them extensively...then I did see the light!

As for weight, they are not the lightest pieces, but they are close.

I also never really enjoyed the fact that everything is riding on the strength of that little pin that holds the webbing/sling in place.

Please, this is not a diatribe against those that use them. All you tri-cam lovers out there, don't despair, I'm not bashing you, just the gear..... :wink:

drkodos

May 12, 2003, 6:11 PM
Post #18 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have more tricams than I know what to do with. I used to love them for all the reasons you stated. Then I realized how myopic my vision had become.

They are not stable. If using passively, why not just use a nut? In 30 years of climbing there have been times when a tri-cam offered a great placement, but with today's technology, there is ALMOST always another choice of gear. As stated above, small TCU's and aliens go anywhere a tricam goes, plus many more placements.

I have used my share at the GUNKS, but now have found that evrywhere one is needed (?), another piece usually works just as well or better.

Stirrup Trouble 5.10 comes to mind. Immediately after the traverse, a pink tri-cam was often the piece placed to protect the move up and over the bulge. For years, there was a fixed "pinkie" stuck in the pocket. Now, a green alien goes in and fits rather nicely. Easier to clean, too.

Tri-cams had their day in the sun, but that time is long passed.

I offer my tri-cams to those that want them, can give them a good home, and treat them the way they deserve. When I get to the Gunks this weekend, I will be happy to give these babies away to a new adoptive family. Anyone that wishes can show me their "tri-cam" only placements, and allow me to see if I can't set another piece in the same placement....any takers?

atg200

May 12, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #19 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure drkodos. can you meet me in moab? tricams are pretty indespensible for doing clean aid in the fisher towers. i don't use them as much as i used to anymore, but i do generally carry the first three with me on everything.

murf

May 12, 2003, 6:29 PM
Post #20 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the original thread, I'm curious as to the stability of these wired tricams. Since tricams don't have springs and normally can't be set with a yank ( like a nut ), I depend on the "loose" sling not moving it that much. Not much of issue on a small solution pocket, but on a horizontal it might be. I picture these wired ones with the stiff wire poking out of the crack, every swing of the rope knocking it about. I suppose a long enough sling on the wire would help.

Anyone had any problems with this.

Murf

maldaly

May 12, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #21 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bid on these to see if they're any good. I suspect they'll suck but will post my opinions after I've tried them.

Mal

pico23

May 12, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #22 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

There is no $$$$ to be made, that's why.

Overrated, underused, esoteric pieces of BS. And I say this as someone that learned to climb at the Gunks, home of the necessary tri-cams? Hardly. There isn't a tri-cam placement in the world that an Alien or small TCU won't also work.

Tri-cams were great back in the day before micro-camming units. Now there are just museum pieces. Sure, they work, but why bother?

Nothing like "hosing-the-second" with a few "well-placed" pink tricam placements at the crux....

Wow, that is pretty strong. I never carry more then a set of cams and oddly enough never bitch (ok rarely) about having to protect pockets or flares. Sure with hybrids of offset friends I could probably still protect those flares but then I'd have to carry at least another set of cams to cover my bases on a onsight lead. I totally disagree that tricams are useless. As a matter of fact they are the most used piece of pro on my rack. I use em as nuts, cams, and even ocasionally a runner. Personally, I think you can get by without cams between the Red Alien and the #2 Camalot with a rack of tricams.

And so what if the second needs tension to pull the tricam out. 99% of the time difficulty getting them out is the SECONDS fault. I've watched people just start yanking on them for no reason without even trying to work em out. My feeling is if there was a stance for me to place the gear from there is a stance for the second to remove it from and if not that is what tension is for. The only time I'd truly believe a tricam is difficult to get out is if it was fallen on. And even then a little finesse is usually the key.

pico23

May 12, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #23 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have over twenty of the little effers.....

I never use them anymore. There is ALWAYS a better placemnet with a more secure piece. They tend to be unstable. They can be difficult to clean, especially the pink and even more so if it has taken the full force of a leader fall.
I'm not bashing you, just the gear..... :wink:

No offense taken but I don't think there is always something better. Hourglass shaped cracks?? Especially close to the ground I don't like running 24" runners to keep my SLCD's in tiny constrictions from walking above or below into a flared area. A hex or better a tri cam placed passively really sticks and protects me from groundfall. I just don't trust cams on that type of crack. My oppinion is that those who use them often love them and those that don't lack to competence to place them. At the very least the tricam is an effective belay anchor in place of cams which can be placed and cleaned faster most of the time on the climb (no argument there even from me).

petsfed

May 12, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #24 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that if you use them only as a camming piece, they are quite easy to clean. Place the nut tool at the flattest spot and give it a good pop, then pinch the sides and extract. But then again, I only use the pink and red ones, and then only in horizontal placements. Otherwise they're not on the rack.

sheldonjr

May 12, 2003, 9:16 PM
Post #25 of 51 (9557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Kodos,
I'll take em off your hands! I'm not gonna be in the gunks, but you can mail em to me if you want to get rid of em that bad. PM me and I'll give you my address. (No, seriously.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook