Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking to go climbing in Albuquerque
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aulwes

May 22, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Looking to go climbing in Albuquerque  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I arrived in Albuquerque today!!! May 22!
I just graduated for college, I have climbed since december, but I used to be a soild 5.10-5.11 climber. I have a full rack, and I'm looking to use it!!! I hope I can meet up with someone who can show me where to climb!

Thanks,
Joe

thedesertnomad

May 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking to go climbing in Albuquerque [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man... wish I were back in Abq for this weather... getting a little hot here in Phx (valley of the scorched Earth...) when you find someone (go to that climbing shop right near UNM) I recommend the Cave route or something up in the Sandias... you can actually see it from Tramway and it is a gorgeous hike up there and the climbing is pretty fine. I will dig through my old notes and beta and see if I can come up with more for ya. Good luck !!!

aulwes

May 24, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply desertnomad,

I haven't done any climbing yet, But I have been doing a lot of hiking in the foothills. I love it here! Ihave all my trad gear, but it's difficult to find someone your can trust you life with. I may teach my little cousins the basics, and if I get a job here then I may go looking for a serious partner.

Safe climbing to all!

mingleefu

May 24, 2003, 6:20 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to stone age gym ( http://www.climbstoneage.com/ ) and hook up with someone there. If not the gym scene, then go to one of the bouldering areas. I've visited albuquerque multiple times, and have been successful find partners at the Umounds (take tramway to Copper, turn East follow to dead end. head on leftward trail towards obvious crop of boulders- 5 minute walk). If not the Umounds, go down Three gun Spring trail (short drive off of I40 - see "hikers and climbers guide to the sandias" -Mike Hill). Even if you can't find a partner, there's some decent bouldering around there. Don't stay too long- its all pretty hard on the tips.

Like the other dude said- the Cave route is a pretty cool 4 pitch 5.7 located on "the Pulpit" which is the first major formation walking up the La Luz trail. You'll want to pick up that book by Mike Hill for more exact info.

also maybe check out the Los Alamos Mountaineers- I don't know anything about them, but it sounds like its worth a lookee-see: http://www.losalamos.org/climb/zFORUM.html

Andy.

wlderdude

Jun 5, 2004, 2:28 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PLEEEEEEASE! PICK ME PICK ME!

I just moved here too and really want to go climbing.
I just sent you a PM.
Anyone else looking for a partner can do the same.

These mountains just won't stop taunting me!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook