June Climbing in Minnesota
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

duskerhu

May 31, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

June Climbing in Minnesota  (North_America: United_States: Montana: Rock_Climbing: Livingston: Mill_Creek_Canyon: Mill_Creek_Crags)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks! (I know, its not quite June yet but I'm giving someone some links and wanted the June up to link it)
Summer; is it finally here? Man, I hope so!!!

Anyway, lots of stuff happening... Climbing every week/end, VE (hopefully not often) when it rains, and of course, the2nd Annual Minnesota Gathering is right around the corner at the end of the month... I can't wait!

There are people recently joined the site here so, we should all have plenty of new friends to hook up with and CLIMB!

As for this weekend, fo_d and I will be at the Bluff all day Saturday. And guess what? rockhugger says he's coming out to climb with us... Yep! he's coming out of the dark, muddy, sloppy, damp, cave-life with kurt, back out into the sunlight and onto the heights again... Now if we can get kurt to stay outta those damn caves... :shock: Yeah! Right... :lol:

Anyway, post-up all your June plans people!

(sorry Les, I didn't mean to jump the gun on ya! gotta noob in Apple Valley I wanted to send the link to... every one welcome maddog)

duskerhu

rockhugger

May 31, 2003, 5:08 AM
Post #2 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Re: June Climbing in Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Finally ,a nice weekend and I have nothing to do tomorrow except climbing!!!

rockhugger

May 31, 2003, 8:55 AM
Post #3 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to one little cave and Dann will never let me off the hook.
Maddog, welcome to RC.com Minnesota!!

duskerhu

Jun 1, 2003, 1:33 AM
Post #4 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jeff, nice job hanginaaAhh I mean climbing today! How are yer ams? Did you get that workout I promised ya?

Well, I got some more 5.7+'s for ya next time... :lol: (5.7+3 with an "a" of course...) :twisted:

Good job dude!

duskerhu

pelliott

Jun 1, 2003, 4:06 AM
Post #5 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves here? It isn't June until tomorrow, or is my calendar slow?

Anyway... I hope you all had a good time today. I had to stay at home with a sick baby and then I had to mow the lawn. What a bummer. I am sure something will come up next weekend too. Anyway. I am glad that Jeff (rockhugger) finally got out again.

How did the church group go? I would like to lead a group from my church some time. Climbing is definitely a spiritual thing for me, and it would be nice to share this with others. I would definitely be interested in how you went about setting it up Les (fo_d).

Still looking forward to Blue Mound...

BTW... There is a big group fromVE going next weekend to Shovel Point if anyone is interested. I still have to work out the details to see if I can go, but hook up with Kurt if you are interested.

rockhugger

Jun 1, 2003, 6:28 AM
Post #6 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I got that workout for sure today,if your 5.7's are that tough I'd hate to see a 5.9! I'm happy with the amount of climbing I got in today and I'm very happy about the way I was climbing today especially after sitting around for two months.

duskerhu

Jun 1, 2003, 7:52 AM
Post #7 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves here? It isn't June until tomorrow, or is my calendar slow?
Sorry! Apparently you didn't read the first line of my first post... That was where I appoligised for putting June up early because I wanted to send someone the link... :oops:

In reply to:
I hope you all had a good time today. I had to stay at home with a sick baby and then I had to mow the lawn. What a bummer.
We were wondering where you were!?!?!?! Thought for sure we'd see ya there...

In reply to:
How did the church group go?
It went very good! We actually had one guy come for a second time (he was there 2 weeks ago too), we had two climbers who were relative naturals who both made it up Left Lane, and a real climber who'd climbed near us a good portion of the morning tell us he really thought we ran our group well... WOW, I was impressed!

In reply to:
Still looking forward to Blue Mound...
Me too! In fact I can't wait!!! Are you bringing your girls Patrick? I was thinking of maybe bringing just Kali... She likes to go camping (but I don't want to have to bring Alyssa and have to keep an eye on her the whole time).

Anyway, beautiful day... A little breezy and cool, but nice and sunny...

Monday at VE... see yall then...

duskerhu

pelliott

Jun 2, 2003, 2:44 AM
Post #8 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry... I guess us old folks have trouble with the small print. :lol:

pj

Jun 2, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #9 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys! Yeah, that was a super day on Saturday at the bluff. I love that rock; much better than Blue Mounds, I think, which I found very slick. I was sticking to this stuff much better.

So much better in fact, that I toproped, led with quickdraws in place, and then led putting up my own quickdraws Cinq Jour D'Affile without ONE fall or take!!! I was purdy darn happy with myself. This was my first outdoor lead. I also did Sunburst which Dann had recommended, but sadly didn't quite finish. I found the route overall to be about the same difficulty, but the very last move to clip into the anchor is tricky. I did it fine on toprope, but just coudn't get up the gumption to do the same stemmy move six feet above the last bolt. :shock: Ah well. I didn't fall or take to that point, so that was still pretty good.

Sadly, we left fairly early; Bert got discouraged after trying to trad lead Jam and Jelly; I think he's siding with Les in saying it's hard, rather than Dann who thinks it's doable. (We gotta see you do it sometime, Dann, since it looked like a b!tch....)

All in all, an excellent day. I was kickin' ass and takin' names. I'm at VE tonight by myself, so anyone can team up with me. Tim? You still going?

Paula.

j_magnuson

Jun 2, 2003, 3:52 PM
Post #10 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paula,

I think Tim is in Vrginia this week and won't be at VE tonight. I will be there about 4:00 or so if you need someone to trade belays with. Anyone else going tonight? Sounds like Dann will be there......Louis, Les?

Josh

pj

Jun 2, 2003, 4:51 PM
Post #11 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there 5:30ish. Have we met, J-mag?

j_magnuson

Jun 2, 2003, 5:17 PM
Post #12 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paula, oops, sorry! We met a month or so ago, I'm blond, about 5'9" with glasses, usually wearing a blue shirt and shorts. I usually climb with Tim or Louis, sometimes with Dann and Les.

Josh

gthornberg

Jun 2, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #13 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, oh Man! I just moved to Florida from Minnesota and REALLY miss climbing.

I don't know if I know anyone from this board, but I used to climb at the gym "Footprints" (formerly Peak) nearly every other day religiously since it first opened until it went out of business. I practically lived out of my van at Taylors or Barn Bluff for years.

Anybody here that I know? Does this jog anyone's memory?

- I used to climb with my boy Garrett who is blind and climbs barefoot.
- My friend Dan and I used to hang out with/annoy Brian Lounsbury, Pat, Melissa Quigley (I think I annoyed her more than climbed with her), Jesse Shalk (a master of slopped holds), etc.
- I'm about 6'1" and have to put up with shorter climbers complaining that I can reach holds instead of having to dyno for them. :x (sorry, but shorter climbers have a huge advantage on scrunchy moves and slopers).
- If you went to "Footprints" or "Peak" I probably begged a belay off of you for doing "The Wave" (or if you ever climbed at Taylors)
- I'm skinny :shock:

I'm looking to make it to Colorado later this summer and would love to hook up with someone.

Let me know.

GT

p.s.
Florida sucks for climbers. :? I want to start a gym!

pj

Jun 2, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #14 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, Josh, I wasn't sure. :oops: Anyway, I'll see you there. Climb on!

Paula.

duskerhu

Jun 2, 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #15 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice job Saturday pj! Bert too! I thought for sure he'd be able to do Jam & Jelly after he "ran" up Freebase on gear... Ya know Jam & Jelly is a 5.7 and Freebase is 5.9- right? :lol:

Honestly, I shouldn't have let fo_d show/describe/talk-you-out-of Jam & Jelly in the first place... :shock: I'm still having trouble talking him into leading it... Anyhow, I'd be more than happy to lead it for you and let you T-R it a couple times so you guys can get the feel for it. The first 20ft. are a bit intimidating if you haven't climbed it before.

I can't wait to try Cooler Crack and see what you guys think of that! :twisted:

And pj, too bad you didn't get the red point on Sunburst! You KNOW you could have done it right? That last move is a bit commiting but there are a couple tricks you could try. I myself stick my left hand way up in that crack on the left and lock it off to clip (from the underside). I think Les has mentioned that sometimes he sticks his whole right arm in that big hole off the right side a bit and locks that in there to clip from. The first few times I led that I made an extra move up to the large flat ledge above the anchor and clipped from there. But then you have to deal with being an extra two feet above your last bolt and clipping the anchor at your waist... :shock: You'll get it yet!

Anyway, sorry gthornberg, I don't recognize you... But that doesn't mean anything. I do have one question for you though... WHY on earth would a climber purposely move to Florida??? Even from MN!?!?!?!? Well, you know one thing for sure... If you ever make it back here, you got RC.com friends to climb with! Feel free to contact any one of us if you're coming and want to climb... And if you're really jonesin' and want to take a road trip or flight, we're having the 2nd Annual RC.com Minnesota Gathering at the end of June here. You're certainly welcome to join us!

Ok, well, I will be at VE sometime later tonight. Unsure of what time, but I'll be there...

later

duskerhu

rockhugger

Jun 3, 2003, 12:49 AM
Post #16 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate Florida,go into a sauna and wrap your head in a wet towel and you got Florida.By the way where at in Florida are you?

gthornberg

Jun 3, 2003, 2:24 PM
Post #17 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the southern Tampa Bay area. I live 2 miles from the gulf and love the ocean, but climbing is still my favorite thing to do. I hope to start a climbing gym in the area (maybe a great place for minnesota climbers to vacation, eh?).

I noticed that there is a gym 45 miles north of me doing well in Tampa, but none down where I am. My wife and I are talking about moving to Colorado or California in a year or two. Moving to Florida had more to do with finding employment since I was laid off in the technology industry in July of last year. There are a lot more jobs down here.

I'm looking to get out to Colorado by the end of this summer and would love to hook up with people.

GT

"Will design Web sites for gear"

duskerhu

Jun 3, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #18 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C'mon g, MN climbers vacationing in Florida??? :shock:

NOT on PURpose! :lol:

You're in Sarasota??? Do you know my cousin? Angie Schnathman and her hubby Todd? She runs the restaurant at some Bobby Trent golf course down there... Well, probably not. But if I ever happen to get down there to visit them (not likely 'cus, I only do climbing vacations now-a-days), I'll be sure to stop into your future climbing gym...

duskerhu

karma274

Jun 3, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #19 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, anyone seen any new bolt replacement activity out at the Bluff in the past few months? I haven't been there since... mid April. I know the hombres from the MCA were pretty active for the past two summers, and was wondering if they had started up again.

rockhugger

Jun 4, 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #20 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Karma,funny you mention the bolts at the Bluff.Duskerhu and I were just talking about the MCA and which routes they were going to fix up next.
You should go to the MCA website and ask them.

duskerhu

Jun 4, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #21 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just out of curiosity, anyone seen any new bolt replacement activity out at the Bluff in the past few months? I haven't been there since... mid April. I know the hombres from the MCA were pretty active for the past two summers, and was wondering if they had started up again.
Funny you should mention this karma274... As Jeff said, we were just talking about this Saturday at the Bluff.

I've been out there at least once a week (except the first week in May) for quite a while and I have not seen anyone replacing any bolts, nor have I noticed any new bolts that weren't already there.

I know they are apparently planning to continue replacing bolts at Red Wing, but I don't know what their schedule is or what routes are on their list. I do have some suggestions for them. There are a few "moderates" that I'd lie to see at least new anchors on and some really need the bolts too.

Here's what's currently on their website...
Urban Chunks - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
New Kids on the Rock - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Jump Start - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Chinese Freedom - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Geriatric Sex Maniacs from Mars - Fully Re-Equipped-2001
Out of Control - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Annadonia - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Vertical Vice - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Goofed on Skunkweed - Fully Re-Equipped-2001
Two Tone Zephyr - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Frequent Flatulence - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Needles and Pins - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
The Start of Something Good - New Anchors -2001
Kelly's Arête - New Anchors -2001
Freebase/Rock-a-Holics - New Anchors -2001
Danger: High Boltage - New Anchors -2001
Three Fat Chicks on a World Tour/Call of the Mild - New Anchors -2001
Sunburst - New Anchors -2001
Looking for Lust - New Anchors -2001
Year of the Ankle - New Anchors -2001
Cardiac Standstill - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Cinq Jour D'Afffille - Fully Re-Equipped -2001
Cyclops - Fully Re-Equipped -2002
Wasp Mentality - Fully Re-Equipped -2002
Work Ethic - Fully Re-Equipped -2002
Suicide Squeeze - New Anchors -2002
Talking with God - Fully Re-Equipped -2002
Dumpster Does Duffles - Fully Re-Equipped -2002

Personally, I can see a couple erorrs in that list, but ok...

Anyway, I guess our best bet would be to contact them at the MCA Website...

duskerhu

karma274

Jun 4, 2003, 6:55 AM
Post #22 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys should totally shoot them an email. Josh and Brent are really friendly and approachable, and I'm sure they are open to suggestions. Also, if you aren't a member I would suggest becoming one. Bolts and drills and whatnot aren't exactly cheap. And it really is about time someone started rebolting out there. I remember going there two summers ago right after I started climbing and being scared shhitless by some of the anchors. (Some of the stuff out there still scares me. But at least there is less deadly hardware slowly rusting its way out of the bluff.

rocksolid

Jun 4, 2003, 12:02 PM
Post #23 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is anyone going to be at VE tonight? I should be there around 7:00.

Craig

pelliott

Jun 4, 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #24 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be there tonight probably between 7 and 8.

duskerhu

Jun 4, 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #25 of 96 (8820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Les and I are going out to the Bluff today... Should be there all set up by about 4pm-ish; 'til we have to go to work (probably about 8:30).

All this assuming it doesn't rain of course.

Have fun in the stinky gym folks... :lol:

duskerhu

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook