RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

kansasclimber

Jun 3, 2003, 10:10 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Buena Vista/Salida, CO climbing??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone know where any climbing is in Buena Vista or Salida,CO. Just near there is all. And what is there (rating wise, and types of climbing.) Im up for trad, sport, TR, and bouldering. Thanks a lot.

Stephen

holmeslovesguinness

Jun 3, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Re: Buena Vista/Salida, CO climbing?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a search on this site or on climbingboulder.com. I climbed around Buena Vista about 8 or 9 years ago - found some short trad and sport routes (I believe the crag was Elephant Rock or something like that) just outside of town. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff in the area.

climb4life

Jun 3, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are climbing around that areas. it's just that the locals don't want the outsiders to know much about them. try meeting up with a climber that live there.

texasclimber

Jun 3, 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #4 of 9 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some friends working in Buena Vista as whitewater guides right now. I know there is Trad b/c they brought all their gear. Check out that website or just get the falcon guide to CO. It won't have everything, but it will have a lot.

nobody

Jun 3, 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a ton of climbing around there, but you won't find it in any guide books -- besides the Elephant Rock area, that is, which is far from the best anyhow. The area E of Elephant Rock is loaded with bouldering and farther back there is a 2 pitch wall. SE of Buena Vista is a large tract of BLM land that has lotsa bouldering and trad, with unlimited sport potential. 4wd helps for access. Rainbow rock has good bouldering and a few short pitches of trad on the front, and sport on the riverside. There's a canyon W of the valley with good granite waiting for FAs. Cotopaxi has a few good routes, once again with lots of potential and little development. There's also good climbing E of BV off of 285.

Most locals are river rats who don't have the time to develop crags, or they're out mountainbiking instead. Plus, it's easier to drive to Shelf or Penitente than to clean routes. But the potential is there!!!

deleted
Deleted

Jun 4, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #6 of 9 (5617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kansasclimber --

the above post by "nobody" is true and correct. i live in leadville -- thirty minutes north of buena vista; 45 north of salida -- and climb in those areas all the time.

there's more than plenty of climbing to be found -- everything from tr to sport to trad; 5.0 scrambles, 5.10 gear routes, and 5.12 clippers.

you can pretty much belay from your bumper at bob's rock, eleplant rock (within 100 yards of each other), and rainbow rock. otherwise lace up your approach shoes and bring an extra set of lungs.

additionally, monitor rock and the crags at independence pass are close by.

if you like adventure climbing, come on up! pm me if you need additional info.

regards,

geo

lox

Jun 4, 2003, 5:38 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was a guide in BV for a couple of summers. I also cut my teeth on the local crags.

A lot of the climbing in BVis located across the Arkansas from town, off a little dirt road.

Basically, go west from the Casa del Sol/ CoastIICoast intersection to the dead end. Take a left. Follow this road a while until it turns into dirt and then crosses the river. The first right (before any tunnels, but after the houses) leads up to Turtle and Split Rocks. You can explore these areas for moderate routes and bolder problems.

Further up the dirt road by the river (through the tunnels) is the Elephant Rocks, Rainbow, random boldering and the Pumphouse... all offering a variety of routes at a variety of grades.

Stop in at the Trailhead, they have a rudimentary guide of the area.

Up towards Aspen on Independence Pass is some good boldering and if you are willing to drive for world class sportclimbing, rifle is about 4 or 6 hours away.

And if you climb Mount Yale, take some climbing shoes... there is some alpine boldering up there.

have fun !

cologman

Jun 5, 2003, 3:38 AM
Post #8 of 9 (5618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live here!!! Yes there is some good/ very good climbing around here. Everything from Trad 3-4 pitches to Sport and great bouldering. Within an hours drive of here many more opportunities open up. Then to there is a whole range of 14' ers if peak bagging is your game. Yes we do have some world class whitewater hereabouts. So if your multifaceted you can ski a corn chute on a 14'er in the AM suck down some class 4/5 whitewater for lunch and cap the day with a .10+ Trad climb of 3 or 4 pitches. What hasn't been mentioned is the top notch single track around these parts. Then again don't come. :D

deleted
Deleted

Jun 5, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can do 5 14'ers in a day EASY in Chaffee County.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook